Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have not been to the range in many, many years & am getting back into shooting. I bought the .40 4" service model with ported barrel. Actually, when I ordered, I didn't intend to order the ported version (got by accident) & also had to wait for the 12 round mags to be sent back from the local dealer for 10 round mags (due to CA law). So, I finally got to the range yesterday & shot 150 rounds. One thing I noticed, I was lining up the three sights (level) and all my shots were going low. I was hitting the same area of the target, but everything was low. I decided to aim at the head of the target & wound up hitting the chest. This was from 14' away (my aim sucks after not shooting for over 20 years!). I put up my second target and decided to change my aiming method and aimed by raising the middle sight above the side sights. Then I started hitting the bullseye. I don't really like aiming that way, but if it works, it works. Anyone have similar experiance with this gun? To me, the gun has a good kick & sound to it. Again, that's just because I have not been to the range in many years...

WillieMac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The range staff suggested the same thing, that I was pushing the gun down a bit due to anticipation of the recoil! I need to figure out how to stop that bad habit the next time I shoot or I'll have to get used to using the sights like this:

Instead of this: * * *
Regards,
WillieMac

·
Registered
513 Posts
My buddy just got his first XD 40 service ported and it shoots nice. I could not feel any recoil just blast back from the ports. I ordered the guide rod and 22lb spring from pistol gear and got him some armadillo. He is all set and now wants to put some dawson fiber optic sights on it. Once you fire the XD, it has you under it's spell. No mods are necessary, just add to the overall appeal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good.

I think, because I have not shot a pistol since I was about 14-years-old (24 years ago!), I need to get used to the recoil. Although, when I was 14 I shot a Ruger Blackhawk 30 carbine and that felt like a cannon! Other than that, I used to just shoot with .22 rifles. Now I have a shotgun (Winchester Defender, only a 20 guage, in case my wife "ever" would want to shoot it) and the XD .40. I still need to test out the shotgun...

WillieMac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts