Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up fella's and ladies for that matter. I have just purchased an XD(m) .40 compact. Now I am very new to the "gun" world. I did own the S&W .40 sigma. But i bought it used from a good buddy of mine. I also recently bought a Hellcat .380 pocket pistol. My question is, What is the first thing i need to do with my XDM when i get it in my hands in 2 days when it comes in?? Also, if you were buying this gun new what would be the top $ amount you would pay for it?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Go shoot it of course. And when your done with that, go shoot it again.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Send it me along with 500 rounds of ammo so I can test it and make sure things are good to go with it.....

Just kidding, clean it, shoot it, shoot it more, after 1000 rounds, shoot it some more, then after 5500 rounds, you should shoot it again

Don't stop shooting until you get to 25,000 rounds. Then you may want to clean it, then proceed to shoot another 25,000 rounds through it

Its really that simple...........

·
Registered
608 Posts
go to walmart and buy all the tulammo they have on the shelf

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Some will say you need to clean and lube it ... I have not done that on any of my guns and they shoot just fine. Enjoy!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, if the guns are used, I would certainly want to clean them, and make sure everything looked ok.

And if you are new to guns in general, the cleaning will help familiarize you with everything.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Whats up fella's and ladies for that matter. I have just purchased an XD(m) .40 compact. Now I am very new to the "gun" world. I did own the S&W .40 sigma. But i bought it used from a good buddy of mine. I also recently bought a Hellcat .380 pocket pistol. My question is, What is the first thing i need to do with my XDM when i get it in my hands in 2 days when it comes in?? Also, if you were buying this gun new what would be the top $ amount you would pay for it?

First thing is learn how to disassemble, clean and reassemble. (shouldn't take more than a few minutes) Then go shoot it and fall in love with how much better its trigger is than your Sigma. The Sigma has the worst trigger in a full sized pistol I have ever seen. The stock XDm trigger isn't great by any stretch of the imagination. It still beats the ever living sheeyat out of the Sigma. Once you are comfortable with the XDm, look on PRP and find a trigger that fits your needs. Then the clouds will open and the glory from Heaven will shine upon your pistol...love will abound.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Give it a quick rub down to get the shipping lube off and shoot to your hearts content!

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Get a Pearce grip on that compact magazine.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
1) read the manual cover to cover
2) repeat #1
3) field strip the gun and give it a quick cleaning - don't lube the striker
4) search here on why to NOT lubricate the striker
5) practice the empty shell on the front sight post dry fire drill, until you can dry fire the gun 10 times without knocking the empty off
6) Visit USAammo.com and order up as much practice ammo as you can afford
7) keep practicing #5
8) fire off the ammo from #6 and re-order when it's down to 2-300 rounds
9) repeat 7 & 8

If you want to help break the gun in quicker, load a 16 rnd mag with empties and with the slide closed, insert and remove it a couple hundred times keeping the slide closed the whole time. That will polish the mag release tab making it much easier.

I like to polish parts of guns to give the same benefit of being broken in by shooting several thousand rounds. Only do it if you know what to polish and how to do so without removing metal or reshaping anything. I also like to have a 1911-esque trigger, so a kit is "needed".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Shoot it to make sure it works then give it a good cleaning and lube. If you keep your gun clean and lubed properly it will last a lifetime. If you want to keep the finish nice pickup one of those silicone gun & reel cloths. The orange/yellow one that's saturated, and everytime your done shooting, cleaning, or carrying give it a wipedown. That gun will gleam and you'll be a very happy person ! Many will say guns like Glocks and XD's are maintanance free and really don't need it. I have seen Glocks come into the shop with corrosion inside the slide, and springs wear out a lot faster than they should have all because folks thought thet didn't need to be cleaned. Then again these guns were totally neglected !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you plan to conceal carry? If not, I'd still recommend taking a formal pistol course if you are new to firearms.

Buy at least 300-500 rounds of cheapest brass cased .40 180 gr ammo at Wal Mart. Then buy 50-100 rounds of the cheapest 180 gr Hollow point from a well know manufactorer (Speer, Winchester, Federal, Remington ect) read manual, clean, lube and shoot. Make sure you shoot enough defense rounds to be confident in the feeding of hollow points HD rounds vs ball/target ammo.

Good luck, and good choice with the XD. I bought an XD .45 as my first pistol (I have quite a few by now), and it's probly the last one I'd get rid of.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Shoot, clean, carry, love.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts