Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey its getting about that time up here in NoVa, and itd be the first time hunting up here but most places only do buckshot/slug or bow only up here and ive only shotgun hunted once real long time ago, anyone have tip or recommendations for this season?

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
rifled barrels are great, make sure you go to the range to see where your slugs hit, that's about it for now, my brain isn't working, I'll think of more later

·
Registered
19,681 Posts
What are your likely ranges? if 50 yards or less, normal slugs are more than enough. longer? sabots and a rifled barrel, or maybe look into weather a muzzle loader is an option for you? can you do a magnum+ handgun?

I am not a huge fan of the stopping power of a 12 gauge slug. They will kill, but not nearly as quickly or as surely as a real rifle will. A slug will punch through fine enough, but a high speed rifle bullet will send a shock wave through the games systems and turn bone into shrapnel while they travel their path.

Buckshot, you aim for the head and hope a pellet hits the brain. basically like hunting deer with a a 22lr, but with more chances and a less precise aim. my least favorite option.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I don't think buck shot is a good option. Stick with a single slug. And don't worry if you make a good hit, the deer isn't going to go far if anywhere. More likely to drop in his tracks.

·
Premium Member
32,784 Posts
rifled barrel and Copper Solids, I've seen deer taken at 100+ yards with a scoped shotgun, beyond 120 and it's no good,and you really need to know your gear.

Buckshot is Good for BGs but I use slugs for deer.

like Groo said, see about muzzle loader hunting, it's a better option than slugs

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys for the help, yeah last time it didnt matter aslong as it was a shotgun so i used slug but, in every WMA up here in Northern Virgina
its buckshot only or archery, was maybe thing bout getting a crossbow since its considered archery tackel up here, any other tips?, BTW are you sure about aiming for the head when using buckshot on deer?
rifled barrel and Copper Solids, I've seen deer taken at 100+ yards with a scoped shotgun, beyond 120 and it's no good,and you really need to know your gear.

Buckshot is Good for BGs but I use slugs for deer.

like Groo said, see about muzzle loader hunting, it's a better option than slugs

·
Registered
19,681 Posts
thanks guys for the help, yeah last time it didnt matter aslong as it was a shotgun so i used slug but, in every WMA up here in Northern Virgina
its buckshot only or archery, was maybe thing bout getting a crossbow since its considered archery tackel up here, any other tips?, BTW are you sure about aiming for the head when using buckshot on deer?
If you are in "buckshot only" territory, there is a type of buckshot that is basically just 3 round slugs. That is what I'd go with there. With it, I'd aim for the heart. For your standard 00Buck, I'd aim for the head. 00 is basically 9x 22lr bullets I wouldn't trust them to penetrate the shoulder-blade and still hit the heart. Buck to the vitals sounds like a recipe for a long failed track and some well fed coyotes and crows. I've always heard aim for the head with buck, and it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I discovered a few years back that I do a lot better with a scope. Forty-something eyes and iron sights were not a great combination.

·
Registered
67 Posts
if you can only use shot i'd go with the crossbow. That's what i'll be hunting with in ohio this year during archery season. But I also muzzle load and have a rifled shotgun barrel that I use sabots with. (mossy 500's are great btw). Never tried shot. Don't really think I want to either.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Guys, I have to disagree with the Conventional Wisdom here. First, 00 buck is about 33 or 32 cal. not 22. You can reliably take deer with buck shot or slugs at any range that a normal person could with a bow. I have killed deer with both buck and slugs, shots were placed into the vitals and I noted no problems with penatration.
My best advice is to use the shotgun, take it out, shoot it with a variety of ammo find what brand/type of buckshot patterns best in your gun. place your shots just behind the shoulder or wait until the leg is forward if you are worried about getting through the shoulder blade.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well im pretty settled if i do take my shotgun on using the 3in Federal w/ flitecontrol, i get little bigger then fist size groups with them at 50 yards, but O buck? OO buck? #4? etc?

·
Registered
19,681 Posts
well im pretty settled if i do take my shotgun on using the 3in Federal w/ flitecontrol, i get little bigger then fist size groups with them at 50 yards, but O buck? OO buck? #4? etc?
#4 doesn't get all that much penetration. #1 and larger gets 12" of penetration in ballistic gel, so that is all I would buy for home defense or hunting. 00 seams to be the most common. If you are planning to aim for the cheat, you might even consider 000; or better yet, buck and ball.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts