Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot 200 rounds through her this evening. I was really expecting less muzzle flip, but it was manageable. The gun was not comfortable in my hand, I felt a lot of discomfort in the webbing of my shooting hand in particular. The gun did perform flawlessly I might add... and I was impressed with its accuracy, although I didn't shoot well. I attribute my loose groupings to getting familiar with the weapon and the discomfort in my hand. I also put 100 rounds through my .45 1911 and shot that with good accuracy at the same distances. We'll see how my next range trip goes with BMF...I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
If this is your first polymer pistol, it will take a bit of time to get used to. Fact is that a light weight 40 caliber will have more muzzle flip and beat you up a bit more than a steel framed 45ACP.

Good news is that in time you'll adapt and less mass forward means that it take less effort to return to target. People tend to forget that there are 2 sides to the "muzzle flip coin", that is any mass that reduces the muzzle flip ALSO increases the "swing weight" and that added inertia can really have a NEGATIVE effect on transition shooting.

BTW, I learned that lesson shooting revolvers. My 38 caliber tapered barrel model 67 may have more muzzle flip than my 6 1/2 inch 10mm 610 but I can smoke them into the target with the 67 while shooting a similar group with the 610 requires a pace that's a bit leasurely.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I have the same 4.5 .40 xdm and I am learning to shoot it. I have about 200 though mine. I need to find a local pistol range I like and spend some quality alone time with her.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I put tungsten rods into the guide rod making it heavier than a solid steel one. That extra weight really helps reduce the flip.

I went that way because the cost was a LOT lower ($10) than getting a solid tungsten rod ($80). Yeah, a wee bit of effort to solder it up, but well worth it for the low cost!

Here's a thread on filling guide rods with lead and a few pictures of how I did the tungsten.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-m-d...ok-i-did-i-filled-xdm-guide-rod-w-lead-2.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts