Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that there's an IDPA shoot every 3rd Saturday at the Renton range. I just picked up my new XD9 so I thought I'd give IDPA a shot (or two)... is there anything I need to know... other than the 8:30 rookies meeting? I know there's some guys on the board who shoot there pretty regularly, so I'm looking for a little info or advice.

JT

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Where do you live?
We shoot IDPA in Arlington, WA at the Norpoint Range every other Wednesday at 7PM. Afterwards we shoot bowling pins for fun.

If Renton is closer to you, they do a great presentation for new shooters, not to worry.

You need a gun, holster, mag carrier that are IDPA legal and ammo.
Also a concealment garment (most use a lightweight cloth vest), safety glasses and hearing protection and it's wise to wear a ball cap.

The single most important thing you can know about shooting IDPA: You cannot miss fast enough to get a good score. No joke, shoot for the 'A' zone in every shot, slow down and get it right before trying to shoot fast.

Lots of guys look AMAZING when they shoot but they have lots of misses. Some guys look downright SLOW when they shoot but have great scores.

Don't get hung-up on all the technicalities, you'll make some procedural mistakes and that's OK, everyone does at first.

Tell them you are new, they'll have you shoot last in the squad so you can watch it done a bunch of times first.

It's fun once you get past the rules which may seem a little anal at first, but it's just a shooting game.

At Norpoint, we are new and have a lot of newbie shooters so it's a great way to get involved. Cost is $11 at our indoor facility.

If you have any questions about what is IDPA legal, I'm happy to answer them.
Also the rules are here: http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

You can shoot without being a member or classified once but at Norpoint we don't have our IDPA certs yet (January) so you can shoot without being a member or anything like that.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
+1 That was well put Tard...

I believe there's also another range up north that shoots on Fridays.

If you also get into USPSA there's many more options for you. Shelton, Kitsap, Paul Bunyan, Renton again, etc.

I also believe down in Tacoma at BullsEye they have IDPA/USPSA practice on Thursday's. I've been gone for a while so things may have changed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went out to the IDPA shoot at the Renton F&G. It was cold, but I had blast. I don' t know if I shot with anyone on this furum... if so, I really appreciate all the help and info. The new shooters class was great, I stood in on it twice and felt prepared for the first stage. Everyone I shot with was cool and the match went great... can't wait till next month.

JT

·
Registered
940 Posts
Tard - Arlington is a bit of a ride, but I'll try to make it soon. Do you know any IPSC or IDPA closer to Bellingham? I've been punching paper at Plantation for a while.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts