Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after 3 mornings watching deer on another ridge I decided to move my stand. It worked because before daylight after settling in I had 2 deer all over me. They never knew I was there. They walked around and left the area. Right after daylight, around 7:20 I see movement coming up the ridge so I got ready and then I saw antlers. So I put the pin on the hair I wanted to split and as soon as he stepped into the open I released. It was a perfect 20 yd well placed shot. Or so I thought. After an hour and a half I got down and found blood so I went back home and ate breakfast and then me, my brother and Dad came back to track. The 1st 100yds the blood trail was good, then when we found the arrow, the blood almost stopped. For the next 3 hours we tracked this deer all over our property and into a huge briar field on neighbors property. Still nothing. While we were still looking my Mom was walking around the same field and jumped a buck. We went to look and the bed had 2 small drops of blood in it. This was 5 hours later. We never found another drop. I am sick about this but the more I tell the story, the more people are telling me that he may have survived the hit. The only thing I can think happened was I hit a rib or tipped the shoulder a tad. That was Sat. morning and today my Dad said he still hasn't seen any buzzards in the area. So has this ever happened to anyone?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Bowhunting by its very nature is a very challenging and occasionally frustrating activity.

From your description of events, it sounds like you did everything right. But the outcome wasn't what you expected.

Anyone who has bowhunted for any length of time will have a similar tale of woe - it's just the nature of the sport.

Hang in there, keep learning, keep practicing, and success will find you - and it will be made all the sweeter from having experienced the disappointments.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I do hate the feeling but after a couple weeks there is still no sign of buzzards. I think it may have survived. Deer are very resilient. It just adds to my experience level and next time will be different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.