Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm looking into buying a 1911 early next year. It will be for shooting single stack next year in USPSA, although I'm toying with maybe just setting it up for Open Division. I currently run a Glock 34 in production. So, I've been looking around and doing my research. I like springfield TRPs and trophy match, and I like Kimbers Gold Match II. All three of them come pretty well set up so ill not have to add/replace too much on them. Can I get any good feedback from any of my fellow forum members on these 3 pistols? Having said that, I'm open to suggestions on any other 1911s that you guys and gals may be running in SINGLE STACK AND OPEN divisions. I'm taking my time and continuing to shoot production because I want to save up and get the right gun. I probably won't buy anything until next year. Anyway, thanks everyone and I look forward to any info, photos, comparisons, etc, that you may be able to give me. Thanks!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I'd go for Springfield over the Kimber all day long. It's hard to find something that'll rub better than a TRP without ponying up a good chunk of cash.

·
Registered
210 Posts
You really should pick one open or SS, two different games, a SS 1911 will not be competitive at all in open due to magazines. Open .38/9mm double stack mags are 28-31 rounds in big sticks limited to 170mm. Also SS if you want to shoot major will need to be .40 or .45. Or build two guns open and SS thats the best way to go. As for gun STI Trojan is popular in ss for 9mm and .40. Springfield RO for .45 then do all the trick stuff tigger grips, mag release rather than spending money for a pricey 1911 that you will end up doing the same thing to. And 2011's are the most popular for open.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Definitely check out STI. I see a lot of them at the USPSA matches I go to.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I've got a stainless TRP, excellent gun in all respects. If the price works I'd go for the TRP. I'd pass on the Kimber.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies guys and keep the coming! At this point, I'm still in the stage of deciding which of the two divisions I want to try to get into, SS or open. And a big part of that, to me anyway, is which gun will I enjoy shooting the most? That's why I shoot, to have fun.. And to win, but isn't that part of the fun? Lol. At this point, I'm seriously considering just going for an OPEN class weapon and building the weapon of my dreams... Money? That's not a huge issue, I'm going to decide what I want and with what in it, get some quotes, and save the money. Fortunately, my wife and I are NCOs in the Army, so money isn't the issue.
The more I see those guys with their OPEN class 2011s, the more jealous I get! STI? Ok I'll look into them, I've seen a few. As far as caliber, what do you guys suggest? A 40? Can a 9mm 2011 be reloaded in major? Sorry of these are dumb questions, I mostly run Glocks for defense, and of,course the 34 for production... Which round would make the most sense for OPEN?

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
As I see it there's two different ways to look at this. You can start off with a basic 1911/2011 and send it off to a reputable builder to customize it to your liking or buy something that has everything you're looking for out of the box. STI & SVI would be the cat's meow for 2011's, but if you're looking to spend a bit less Para and RIA have decent double-stack 1911's for a fraction of the cost, leaving a lot of room for customizations.

As for making meeting major power requirements it isn't impossible to do that with 9mm, but it certainly would be easier with 45.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you're going to go with open and want to be competitive you need to shoot 9mm major or some type of .38 super/super comp. Then that means reloading you will have an impossible time finding ammo made to shoot major power factor for open. If you're going to have one built gun,belt, mags,holster,red dot, 4-5k easy new. If you look around you can sometimes find used open guns but they usually get picked up quick if its in good shape.
Pretty much all the open shooters in my area shoot 9mm major or .38super/super comp. You don't see any.40 or .45 open guns because of much lower mag round count vs. 9/.38 mags.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
My 2 cents, I'd avoid the super modified gun division and invest my money in a high end 1911 and shoot that division. If you spend 1500+ for a TRP, or more for a Dan Wesson, Les Baer, Ed Brown, etc you have an awesome gun worth what you paid for it that you can sell for almost what you paid for it. If you mod the heck out of a polymer gun you have a gun that's nowhere near as valuable as a high end 1911. I shoot in a range with guys who have 500 dollar Glocks with 500 dollars worth of work and junk on them and when they decide they want something else unless they have a buddy who wants the gun they have a Glock worth less than 500. I can sell my 1500 TRP for close to 1500 and out shoot the frankenglock.

I'm not picking on Glocks. People do the same with XDM's and M&P's. The point is a high end 1911 is an investment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Snap hook, I'm a huge Glock fan and I'm one of those guys that has as many mods on his production glock 34 as I can without breaking the rules (weight, stippling only what allowed, etc) and I know what you mean. I'd never sell the 1100 dollars worth of mods and gun for nearly what it's worth. Having said that, I'll never sell it, it's a great set up!!! I'm really likening all the great advice. Leaning towards a SS division 1911. I think the TRP (I like the black KOTE model) is something I'm going to seriously consider. Anout the only thing I'd do to it is some sight. The ones on it are nice, but I like fiber optic for competitions. Thanks guys, please keep the great advice coming, trust me, I AM looking at any models that you guys are telling me about. STI definitely was a great company also When I looked after the advice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you get a SS make sure you read the rule book for USPSA not all 1911's are legal, two things, the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover. No Coned barrels, bull barrels, or barrels with flanges. Those are two things I can think of that might get over looked, when looking for a SS 1911 you dont want to buy a nice high end gun only to not be legal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the advice, buying something not legal would set me back for months!

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Snap hook, I'm a huge Glock fan and I'm one of those guys that has as many mods on his production glock 34 as I can without breaking the rules (weight, stippling only what allowed, etc) and I know what you mean. I'd never sell the 1100 dollars worth of mods and gun for nearly what it's worth. Having said that, I'll never sell it, it's a great set up!!! I'm really likening all the great advice. Leaning towards a SS division 1911. I think the TRP (I like the black KOTE model) is something I'm going to seriously consider. Anout the only thing I'd do to it is some sight. The ones on it are nice, but I like fiber optic for competitions. Thanks guys, please keep the great advice coming, trust me, I AM looking at any models that you guys are telling me about. STI definitely was a great company also When I looked after the advice.
I highly recommend a TRP. I bought one a few months back and I shoot it almost every weekend. It's just rock solid, no rattle, and the trigger (after I sent it back to SA to be worked on) is 4.5 lbs but a perfect break. I went to a 14 lb spring so I would cycle my target loads better and since then it's never failed to feed or fire. All premium parts, all hand fitted, at the price they sell for they're a bargain.

You buy it, you decide you don't like it, you can get most of your money back and sell it. A high end 1911 like that will always hold its value.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The RO has 1000 in it. The Loaded has 1600 in it with the add on's. No matter what gun you will buy your going to want to make some changes to it for competition, sight and trigger even the best high end out of the box gun wont have a trigger as awesome as the my Loaded done by a good smith.

Springfield RO .45 for SS Major. ED Brown Magazine release,Techwell TGO Magwell & Grips, Dawson F/O front sight, trigger at 4lbs all stock

Springfield Loaded 9mm for SS Minor. ED Brown Magazine release,Techwell TGO Magwell & Grips, Dawson F/O front sight, SVI trigger,Wilson ambi safety, and mainspring housing, trigger at 2.5lbs all ignition parts replaced with tigger job.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
My opinion, for whatever that's worth ...

SS feels kind of like a dying division around here. We have had matches with over 100 shooters and only a handful shooting SS.

Production is actually more competitive and way cheaper to run. (And you're already covered there.)

If you're really jonesing for some 2011 fun go Limited. Very competitive and less expensive to get started than a full Open setup.

·
Registered
210 Posts
SS minor seems to be getting a little more popular bumps you up to 10rd mags. Local USPSA match stages break down just like production for 10rds easy mental switch over to if you shoot production and its all just for fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts