Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I am new to this whole 1911 scene, and am looking to make my first purchase. I have 3 XD's and love em, but there is something about a 1911 that makes me gotta have one!!
I have about 700 bucks to spend and I am looking at either the SA GI or milspec. What are the major differences in the two other than the sights? Is there any advantages/disadvantages to either?
THanks for any help, I am a 1911 rookie, but I am trying to catch up!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm a newbie to 1911's too but have my heart set on a SA SS Loaded once tax time hits. Anyways, there is a great comprehensive sticky on it at 1911Forum.com - 1911 news, reviews, and more! under the Springfield forum. Not sure if you have to be a registered user to see it, you might as well sign up anyways.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Basic Descriptions:

WW2 (GI) Model: Pistol closely replicates the basic 1911A1 as used by the US military for seven decades. Features:
  • high wall ("narrow") ejection port
  • low profile GI sights
  • lanyard loop on mainspring housing
  • vertical cocking serrations on slide

Mil-Spec: Pre-dated the G.I. model, adds some popular features/upgrades
  • stainless barrel and bushing (some models)
  • loaded chamber indicator (some models)
  • lowered and flared ejection port
  • high profile 3-dot sights
  • beveled magazine well
  • loss of the lanyard loop on mainspring housing
  • forward-raked cocking serrations on slide

Loaded: An upgrade from the Mil-Spec with even more of the most popular features/upgrades
  • beavertail grip safety
  • Novak sights
  • ambidextrious thumb safety
  • long 3 hole trigger
  • full length guide rod (2-piece)
  • front cocking serrations
  • flat mainspring housing

I'd go with the Mil Spec. If you save save up another $100, the Loaded version is well worth it.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Are you dead set on a milspec or SA GI? Not to far off in your price range for a S&W, Kimbers, Dan Wessons and other custom 1911s.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
IMO, SA=Kimber (in the same price range). With the SA, you get a lifetime warranty.

Duh....why did I leave out Springfield Loaded 1911s....

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I do enjoy the milspec, but in retrospect wish I got a loaded. The milspec front sight goes black after about 200 rounds and has to be cleaned out with a toothpick. But even still better then the low profile GI sights.

cooks128, did Walter Sobchak have a 1911 at the alley?

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I do enjoy the milspec, but in retrospect wish I got a loaded. The milspec front sight goes black after about 200 rounds and has to be cleaned out with a toothpick. But even still better then the low profile GI sights.

cooks128, did Walter Sobchak have a 1911 at the alley?

Did Walter have the 1911 at the alley....of course he did...kept it in his bowling ball bag.....had to pull it on Smokey when he fouls and refuses to mark it zero....

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was ready to buy a Mil Spec but I really wanted a Loaded. Saw were a guy bought a used Loaded for 600 on another board I go to, so I watched all the classified and in about two weeks found my own. :mrgreen: NM serial number SS Loaded it has a idiot mark but I only gave 550 for it.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
A full size Loaded or Loaded Longslide Springfield is my next new purchase on my list unless I come across a deal on a used model.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW!!! Thanks!
That was fast, thanks for all the responses!!
It sounds like Maybe I need to be looking for a Loaded. Anyone know who has them for a decent price?

I have looked at Kimbers and they just seem like a lot more money to me.
I love Springfields Customer Service, so I am leaning that way.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
WOW!!! Thanks!
It sounds like Maybe I need to be looking for a Loaded. Anyone know who has them for a decent price?

You'll be happy with just about every model and configuration on Spring. 1911s.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
WOW!!! Thanks!

Any of the three mentioned models will be great, but the Loaded comes with a few more extras that you may be wanting to add eventually anyways. If you aren't planning on doing any upgrades, go with the Mil Spec instead. I love the look of the beavertail, which I don't believe comes on the Mil Spec but definitely does on the Loaded. Here is a lightweight Loaded model as well as a GI for sale:

GilbertsGuns.com - Handguns - Springfield 1911

And another option:

SPG PI9132LP SRVC TGT 45SS

If you are willing to wait, I would keep checking back with Guns for Sale because they usually have some of the best prices.

·
Premium Member
7,343 Posts
Sounds like a killer deal--I'd be all over it. As it stands now...I'm headed down to the shop for a Taurus. Shoots out of the box and no add-on's/tweaks needed (at least for me).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts