Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my Kimber Custom and still have about 5 boxes of .45ACP sitting in my cabinet. I was thinking of buying my Kimber back since its a good chance its still at the shop but I was looking at the CDNN catalog and saw a nice HK USP Custom Combat that I'm really digging. I dont even like tan or OD guns but this one is hot and I think its the gun Will Smith had in I AM Legend. Should I get the USP or just go traditional with the 1911? I'm not sure if I'll get 2 .45s so this might be it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Should I get the USP or just go traditional with the 1911? I'm not sure if I'll get 2 .45s so this might be it.
Quit debating it and GET BOTH:!::!::!:

I have a couple of 1911 pistols and a few difference variations of the USP, including a Tactical and a Match in .45acp. While I love my HK pistols and would NEVER get rid of one of them, there is just something about a finely crafted piece of blued steel in a 1911. The HK advantages are: hi-cap mags, out of the box accuracy, rugged durability and functionality just to name a few. The drawbacks compared to a 1911 are: HK trigger is not that great (unless you get the match trigger installed), HK mags and parts are RIDICULOUSLY expensive and at least parts can be next to impossible to get sometimes, and the size of the pistol. HK USP's are not small by any means and you are comparing a thin, single stack 1911 with a large polymer frame double stack pistol. I have a couple friends who can't hold onto my USP .45's because the grip is too large for their hands. I don't think it is much of an issue, but if you have smaller hands...that is something to consider.

Again, I'd spring for both the USP and a 1911 if it were me...but then again my "budgeting skills" are one of many reasons I won't be able to retire until I am 112 years old!! ;)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Quit debating it and GET BOTH:!::!::!:

I have a couple of 1911 pistols and a few difference variations of the USP, including a Tactical and a Match in .45acp. While I love my HK pistols and would NEVER get rid of one of them, there is just something about a finely crafted piece of blued steel in a 1911. The HK advantages are: hi-cap mags, out of the box accuracy, rugged durability and functionality just to name a few. The drawbacks compared to a 1911 are: HK trigger is not that great (unless you get the match trigger installed), HK mags and parts are RIDICULOUSLY expensive and at least parts can be next to impossible to get sometimes, and the size of the pistol. HK USP's are not small by any means and you are comparing a thin, single stack 1911 with a large polymer frame double stack pistol. I have a couple friends who can't hold onto my USP .45's because the grip is too large for their hands. I don't think it is much of an issue, but if you have smaller hands...that is something to consider.

Again, I'd spring for both the USP and a 1911 if it were me...but then again my "budgeting skills" are one of many reasons I won't be able to retire until I am 112 years old!! ;)
I'll second all that ( I have the USP Custom Combat in 40 S&W ), it's a big gun ( the largest pistol I have ) but there isn't anything wrong with the trigger it just isn't as perfect as a 1911. The HK safety/decocker is awesome. Mag prices are cwazy wild BUT they are a quality mag.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I sold my Kimber Custom and still have about 5 boxes of .45ACP sitting in my cabinet. I was thinking of buying my Kimber back since its a good chance its still at the shop but I was looking at the CDNN catalog and saw a nice HK USP Custom Combat that I'm really digging. I dont even like tan or OD guns but this one is hot and I think its the gun Will Smith had in I AM Legend. Should I get the USP or just go traditional with the 1911? I'm not sure if I'll get 2 .45s so this might be it.
The Will Smith I Am Legend gun was a Mark 23 with a tan frame. I was pretty stoked to see that, since I have a Mk 23 with a tan frame, I was like "Hey look there's my gun!"

My cousin has a USP Custom Combat in .40 S&W, and it's really nice. You hear people talk about this skateboard stuff they tape to the front strap of their gun's grip... well that's what the sides of the grip feel like, a rough textured skateboard surface type feeling surface. It's really neat, and helps you grip the mess out of that sucker. The front strap "checkering" is really aggressive, I guess you'd say, they're almost pointy little pegs.

As mentioned, the accessories for the USP will run you more $$. If that's no problem for you, then you have to look at gun vs. gun.

I don't think there's a better semiauto combat style pistol in the world than the USP series.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
. . . but there isn't anything wrong with the trigger it just isn't as perfect as a 1911.
Kaboom is right there. I didn't mean to make it sound like the HK trigger was terrible or anything close. When you compare it to the single-action, crisp/clean trigger on a good 1911, it falls short (but most pistols do). The DA pull on a USP is around 10-11lbs, while the SA pull is about 5lbs.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The Will Smith I Am Legend gun was a Mark 23 with a tan frame. I was pretty stoked to see that, since I have a Mk 23 with a tan frame, I was like "Hey look there's my gun!"

My cousin has a USP Custom Combat in .40 S&W, and it's really nice. You hear people talk about this skateboard stuff they tape to the front strap of their gun's grip... well that's what the sides of the grip feel like, a rough textured skateboard surface type feeling surface. It's really neat, and helps you grip the mess out of that sucker. The front strap "checkering" is really aggressive, I guess you'd say, they're almost pointy little pegs.

As mentioned, the accessories for the USP will run you more $$. If that's no problem for you, then you have to look at gun vs. gun.

I don't think there's a better semiauto combat style pistol in the world than the USP series.
That front strap is SO aggressive that without gloves it's actually painful ( especially with 40S&W ), I took an X-Acto knife to the tips and toned it down a bit. I think the skateboard tape is a little cheezy for a gun in the $600+ price range myself.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will first try to get the gun I traded in and then pick up the USP, thats if I like t a way it feels. I AM going to get a USP Compact in 9mm though.

Whats the difference between the Mark 23 and the USP?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lazarus,
If I was you I will go back to 1911.
If you can find a chance to try one of those USP, you will see what you need.
Notice the gap between the Frame and slide while shooting these USP.

I own a lot 1911, USP.45 and Tactical, my self

and Mark 23,unless you have big figure.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My fellow NJ Kimber & HK owner..this is a tough call. I love my H&K and my Kimber..if I had to give one up it would be the H&K just because I have several other semi-automatic polymer framed pistols. My Kimber is like a work of art..I just love it.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
I saw the same gun in the same catalog. Yes, will had a FDE HK USP 45.

I say get the HK. IMHO, the design is inherently more reliable than the 1911 design.

Flame on 1911 guys!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey everyone, just clicked that link..

well i have to say I do agree with Ted there

I might be the only Democrat on this forum but thats where I disagree with many is the gun laws. In my eyes there needs to be at least SOME gun control or else its the crazy wild west out there.

But i only mean that to the extent that you should be licensed and blah blah all that ****. Im in florida and as far as i know you can just walk into a walmart and buy a gun ((or ammo atleast)).

to outlaw ppl getting firearms is ludicrous, I for one want to protect myself, democrat or not, and plan on getting a firearm one day ((thts why im here, im into 1911's and USP's))

But anyway, jsut thought id say not all democrats or liberals feel that way, cuz im one of em and i sure as hell want to make sure we can protect ourselves and go to ranges

·
Registered
44 Posts
My son has the HK USP .45 and it is a real work of art. Trigger is great and very accurate. FATSEXY says the checkering on the front strap is aggressive-what about the checkering on the rear! The first time I shot his gun I felt like my hand was getting impaled! He took some of the edge off with sandpaper.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
My son has the HK USP .45 and it is a real work of art. Trigger is great and very accurate. FATSEXY says the checkering on the front strap is aggressive-what about the checkering on the rear! The first time I shot his gun I felt like my hand was getting impaled! He took some of the edge off with sandpaper.
Yes!----I thought I was the only one who felt that way. I've always said the front strap checkering on the USP's is way too agressive. It feels like I'm holding a cheese grator. The new FNP 45 is the same way. Never thought of smoothing it with sand paper though. ------------Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Neither! Get the Springfield XD .45 ACP tactical. It is great!

Or get the SA XD .45 ACP Compact. It is also great! For the amount of money some H&Ks and Kimbers go for, you can get an XD and have Scott at Springer customize it.

Chapie+

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The HK USP is a huge gun...especially in 45ACP. Thick and a chunky grip. The mag release is also ass backwards form just about everything else out there. I also don't care for their overly aggressive stipling on the grips. New mags are 50 bucks a pop and not found everywhere, either.

They ARE very high quality guns...don't get me wrong....I just never found them to my fit or liking. You might find the USP perfect and the be all end all...who knows.

I would NOT trade my Kimber (TLE II) for any USP...ever. But thats my opinion.

if you have to have a d/a s/a 45...my pick would be the SIG P220, but again....probably not over my Kimber.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
The mag release is also ass backwards form just about everything else out there.
- Brickboy240
Huh. I prefer that style magazine release--I drop the mags on my P7's & USP's with my trigger finger, and don't have to shift my grip near as much than if I use my thumb on a 1911, for example.

Then again, a USP was my first pistol, so that's what I got used to.

I will agree with the earlier poster that the USP's trigger (even a match trigger) leaves much to be desired...especially when compared to a good 1911.

Between the two, I think I'd lean towards the USP...but the Kimber is a darn fine pistola as well.

What a fun dilemma to have...

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Didn't say it was not better..just different if you're used to a button like every other autopistol.

It either fits your hands or it does not. Even if it fits your hands, you gotta admit the USP is a chunky pistol.

if you have to have a d/a s/a 45....I'd take the SIG P220. Its slimmer, easier to conceal, as reliable and usually can be had alot cheaper on the used market.

HK USPs are alot like Glocks...they're sort of a "take it or leave it" pistol. Does not meant they're bad - they certainly are not.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
Didn't say it was not better..just different if you're used to a button like every other autopistol.

It either fits your hands or it does not. Even if it fits your hands, you gotta admit the USP is a chunky pistol.

if you have to have a d/a s/a 45....I'd take the SIG P220. Its slimmer, easier to conceal, as reliable and usually can be had alot cheaper on the used market.

HK USPs are alot like Glocks...they're sort of a "take it or leave it" pistol. Does not meant they're bad - they certainly are not.

- Brickboy240
No arguement over the chunkiness. USP's definitely have some girth in their grip, as do Glocks...that could be why I like both pistols.

Personally, I'd take a USP45 over a P220. I prefer the ergonomics, it's a double stack, concealment does not present an issue for me, and can be carried condition one or DA/SA. For me, it's better. For others, perhaps not. Either way, they're both top-rate pistols.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts