Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to mod my 1911 front sights and possibly rear.
Stock 1911A1 GI. Gov't.

I don't have good eyes and the black on black is almost impossible for me to focus on or see. I can't really see a target accurately over 30' without a scope. If I'm focusing on my front sights, I definitely can't see a target at 50' at all. Just a blur.

I've been thinking about a fiber optic front sight with rear dot sights.
More of a target pistol right now than a carry weapon.

My Kimber is my carry and I have meprolights on that weapon.

Meprolights are great, but not sure I want to spend that much on sights on this.

Suggestions and PICS would be great. My 1911 is standard parkerized.

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you have those low profile military sights, its gonna cost you a pretty penny to get them upgraded. Slide has to be machined if im not mistaken

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen some staked fiber optic sights. The one on there now would be simple to remove. It has to be done correctly, but simple.
It can be drilled for a larger stake, pinned or whatever they call it, or as you stated the slide would have to be slotted.
I'm planning on the machined route with maybe Novak rear sights. Same time getting the frame rounded and beavertail put on.
The gunsmith said he's have to replace the hammer when I got the beavertail so I'll get a trigger and hammer replacement at the same time.
I'll all fall together. I have the cash saved to do it.
I'm not in a rush.

But I'll know just what to look for in my next 1911..... ;)

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
You do have a few options.

The first is a cheap one that WILL make a difference. That is, to call Springfield and order a set of Mil-Spec 3 dot sights. They go right on the GI slide with no alterations. They run about 30 bucks and a smith will not charge you much to put them on. Mine put a set on my GI while I waited.

The second is to seek out a good set that has a dovetail and tenon that match the Springfield sizes. They ARE different from Colts and a few shops like Wilson and others know what size fits the Springers. Kings Gun Works in CA used to make a set of their "hardball" sights that fit the Springfield slide. They're reasonable but Kings went out of biz a while back. I think some makers do produce a stake on front that will match the Springer tenon...check around and be sure to ask.

The third option is to get a set of dovetailed sights and have the front of the slide dovetailed. This is expensive, but the best way to ensure that you have sights hat are on really well and won't shoot loose.

Good luck in your search.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Brickboy240. Nice suggestions, checking tonight.

Looking through the Midway catalog that just came in the mail. Gives me something to do while at work.
Work is busy, but I can multitask. I like to keep my hands busy.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here is my upgraded GI, see if ya like.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice.
It's got to be the picture, but looks like the 1911 A1 slide is curved from back to front. Must be the pic. Just in the brownish tinted ones it looks that way. I like the side release on that. I still want an extended slide safety, not ambi, just the left side.
I like that little bob on the end of the grip.
Gives it a better line I think.
Love the looks of the ones in the bottom pics.
I think the wood grips look better than the Hogue.
Thanks for the pics.
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts