Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 10,000 rounds thru my stock 9mm. What parts should I replace now? Are there any parts I should have spares for when they do fail?:?:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Springs jump immediately to mind.
Other than that, fix it if its broken (the Mk.1 eyeball is prolly the best tool here):
-what looks like its got a lot of wear to it? (look at the disconnector, they tend to take a good ammt of abuse.)
-Still locking up Tight?
-Any fte/ftf's?

For reference M1911 maintenance schedule:

Field-strip, clean, oil every 500 rounds (Jacketed ammo)
Field-strip, clean, oil every 250-500 rounds (Cast lead reloads)

Detail strip,clean, examine for wear or impending parts failure every 2,500 rounds (Jacketed ammo)
Detail-strip, clean, (Might as well check the parts) every 1,000-1250 rounds for Cast lead reloads.

Recoil spring replacement...2500 rounds
Firing pin spring replacement...5,000 rounds
Sear spring replacement...10,000 rounds
Mainspring replacement...20,000 rounds
Plunger spring replacement...If/When needed
Firing pin...as needed, indicated by wear or damage.
Plunger detent pins...as needed, indicated by wear or damage.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I have about 10,000 rounds thru my stock 9mm. What parts should I replace now? Are there any parts I should have spares for when they do fail?:?:
Replace the recoil spring and firing pin spring together. They most often are sold together. Get a spare extractor, it is likely gonna need replacing soon. Don't replace the sear spring since there is no such individual spring. There is a leaf spring that controls the sear, disconnect and grip safety. All three legs need to be tuned properly to prevent hammer follow down or slam fires. Firing pins almost never wear out on a 1911. Check your magazine springs as well. Rule of thumb is to replace the recoil spring and firing pin spring and magazine springs at roughly 5 to 7k rounds.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. This is exactly the type of information that is good to know.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Replace the recoil spring and firing pin spring together. They most often are sold together. Get a spare extractor, it is likely gonna need replacing soon. Don't replace the sear spring since there is no such individual spring. There is a leaf spring that controls the sear, disconnect and grip safety. All three legs need to be tuned properly to prevent hammer follow down or slam fires. Firing pins almost never wear out on a 1911. Check your magazine springs as well. Rule of thumb is to replace the recoil spring and firing pin spring and magazine springs at roughly 5 to 7k rounds.
I disagree there is a spring in the wilson combat kit sold at Midwayusa.. I know as i just bought one and replace the recoil spring and fireing pin spring and the Mainspring...

I do agree with what everone else has suggested...

Cleaning i guess i'm anal ...i clean and oil after ever trip to the range.:shock:

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I disagree there is a spring in the wilson combat kit sold at Midwayusa.. I know as i just bought one and replace the recoil spring and fireing pin spring and the Mainspring...
I do agree with what everone else has suggested...
Cleaning i guess i'm anal ...i clean and oil after ever trip to the range.:shock:
I apologize XDM bitone, I should clarify...when I stated that there is no such individual "sear spring" I literally mean there is no such individual "sear spring" for purchase... but rather a leaf spring that contains 3 arms and one of those "arms" acts as the sear spring, but rather it is not a separate part since it also has 2 other arms that act on the disconnect and grip safety as springs. I was being a bit technical in my description, in addition to building holsters for 16 years, I have been a 1911 pistolsmith for the last 7 years and often I am too specific and technical, so I apologize and am glad you posted since it give me a chance to be more detailed in my response.

But you are right... an individual may purchase a spring pack from brownells or midway that includes all the springs. However, there is a lot that goes into simply replacing the leaf spring since necessarily you would be changing not only the sear but the disconnect spring tension and grip safety tension. One, has to be careful when changing 3 springs without ensuring that the disconnect and sear are adjusted with the proper weight, measured using a trigger pull gauge. When I finish my 1911 builds I always ship to the customer a spare tuned extractor and tuned springs so that at 5-7k rds later the customer can "drop them in"

A customer can purchase from Wolff Spring Company a replacement recoil/firing pin spring separate form the mainspring and leaf spring and that was what I was getting at.

I am with you XDM bitone 40... I also clean after every time I shoot, not only is your weapon more ready but it gives you an opportunity to inspect parts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm amazed you haven't replaced the extractor already after 10K rounds. Not a bad thing, just surprised it lasted that long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts