Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the 1911 but am thinking of picking up an XDM in .45ACP. The 1911 is my CDP pistol for IDPA and my Production gun in USPSA. Shuffling the gun collection would have to be done to finance the purchase. What say you and keeping the 1911 and buying another is not one of my options right now.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I love the 1911 but am thinking of picking up an XDM in .45ACP. The 1911 is my CDP pistol for IDPA and my Production gun in USPSA. Shuffling the gun collection would have to be done to finance the purchase. What say you and keeping the 1911 and buying another is not one of my options right now.
My though is wait. Keep the 1911 going and just save up for an XDm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definitely keep the 1911 and and wait to get the XDm. I have a SA 1911 Loaded and an XD45. I doubt I'll ever part with them. I just ordered a 4.5" XDm 9mm for IDPA.

·
Premium Member
127,151 Posts
I concur with the two posters above.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Never ever, EVER, getting rid of my 1911 or my XD 45 Tactical. EVER! Nope... not happening. Negative.

Jokes aside, I feel as though the two platforms have their places in competition. I love the feel of the 1911 and the inherent accuracy. But, for whatever reason, the XD is just a joy to shoot. Don't get me wrong when I say this... I still get that negative feeling from the polymer every once in a while but the gun works and it works well. I live the positive feeling of the great 1911 in steel but it is more cumbersome to work. I have to release the slide with my left thumb. The mag release requires me to change my grip... Yes, all these can be remedied with add-ons but I didn't want to alter the gun.

And yes, the XD needed love in order to get a trigger in there that didn't have 1/2 a mile of pre-travel and an 1/8 of over-travel with 50 miles of gravel road in-between. Okay, let me stop bashing my own guns. Both are great.

If you can, save and buy an XD or a XDm. The ergonomics on the XDm are a bit better than the XD and the factory trigger is better than the factory trigger on the XD. The "Match" components, well, I cannot take advantage of match anything. So, for me, that's not a selling point. I am a middle of the pack IDPA shooter. Match barrels are wasted on me.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Yep, save up and buy it. You will appreciate them both more instead of remembering the 1911 you used to have.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Agreed with all above. Keep the 1911 and save up for the xdm :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
do you buy guns to have them or buy them to sell them?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Keep the 1911--it's the better gun, anyway.
I disagree. I own both and have multiple 1911s. While the 1911 is a platform that exudes class and is so adaptable to many personalities and tastes, it is not necessarily a "better" gun. In my own experience, I would say that having an XD (or M&P, Glock etc.) in some situations would be preferable to the 1911. In addition, not all 1911s are created equal or for certain purposes. A 1911 built for accuracy is NOT the gun I would choose in a tactical situation that includes crawling around in mud or extended periods without maintenance. I would choose my XD45 in such a situation. The old WWII GI 1911 and the tight-toleranced 1911s that many carry today are two very different guns.

With all that soapbox crap above said, I agree; keep the 1911 and get an XDm when the funds are available.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I buy guns to shoot them not to collect them. I had an XDM in 9mm for a while which I enjoyed and sold that to buy the 1911. I like the trigger on the XDM and never had an issue with it. I did find that adjusting to the trigger of the 1911 took about 150 to 200 rounds before I found it to be second nature. I do find that I am more accurate with the XDM platform. Finances being what they are in a single income family I buy whatever I want using the available guns I already own to to get what appeals to me.

·
Registered
29,595 Posts
I disagree. I own both and have multiple 1911s. While the 1911 is a platform that exudes class and is so adaptable to many personalities and tastes, it is not necessarily a "better" gun. In my own experience, I would say that having an XD (or M&P, Glock etc.) in some situations would be preferable to the 1911. In addition, not all 1911s are created equal or for certain purposes. A 1911 built for accuracy is NOT the gun I would choose in a tactical situation that includes crawling around in mud or extended periods without maintenance. I would choose my XD45 in such a situation. The old WWII GI 1911 and the tight-toleranced 1911s that many carry today are two very different guns.

With all that soapbox crap above said, I agree; keep the 1911 and get an XDm when the funds are available.
Not necessarily true; you can have both accuracy and reliability...my Baer is proof of that.

It does cost, however.;)

That being said, a buddy has a 1918 built, US Gov't stamped 1911 (not 1911A1) that will keep up just fine, accuracy-wise, with most off-the-shelf 1911's.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts

Google the MEU(SOC) 1911. There's a reason they use a 1911 ;)

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Keep the 1911, it is INDEED a better gun.
I've owned both, and sold the XD45 compact..

If you sell the 1911 and buy the XDm, you will soon be selling your XDm to buy another 1911.
You will miss the trigger and feel of your 1911...:-|

I daily carry a 1911, it is certainly tactical enough for my needs..

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have both a 1911 and an XD45c. The XD is my EDC because the 1911 is incredibly nice and I'd like to keep it that way. The XD is a functional piece that I can beat the hell out of or, in the event that I need to use it, turn over to the authorities and let sit in evidence for a lengthy time uncleaned.

I like shooting both, but the XD with a Powder River trigger is a more than acceptably accurate piece, fun to shoot, and reliable. That, coupled with the cost factor, makes the XD a better pistol for me to carry.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not necessarily true; you can have both accuracy and reliability...my Baer is proof of that.

It does cost, however.;)

That being said, a buddy has a 1918 built, US Gov't stamped 1911 (not 1911A1) that will keep up just fine, accuracy-wise, with most off-the-shelf 1911's.
Stick that Baer in the mud, muck and run over it a few times, etc. Don't clean it and don't oil it. Run a thousand rounds through it after that. Then get back to me.

The tolerances of that gun will not allow it to continue to run reliably with such treatment. A 1911 built to JMB's original specifications and your Baer are two very different animals. Accuracy as you think of it in the context of your Baer 1911 and combat accuracy are two different things. I won't tell you how I know these things since it would seem to be bragging or tooting my own horn, which never goes over well on forums and I do not consider myself any real expert on anything.

Don't get me wrong, your LB is an awesome gun, but it has limitations. But in all things there is compromise.

Maybe you will enjoy this reading by someone else who knows more than 98% of the recognized "experts". I do disagree with his statement that it will take a "grand" to make a 1911 reliable. This is an exaggeration. It can be, and is, done for less.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2011/06/08/read-this-before-you-buy-your-first-1911/

·
Registered
320 Posts
Google the MEU(SOC) 1911. There's a reason they use a 1911 ;)
Read post above.
Are you familiar with the MEU(SOC) 1911 and what is inside it? Are you familiar with the recommended maintenance? Are you willing to pay the price for one? Are you willing to hand-fit a piece that needs replacement or take it to a specifically trained armorer to do this?

As I said before, the 1911 is an awesome platform. It is my favorite and the only one I would own if I could only own one pistol (God forbid). BUT there are better options for some in certain situations for specific purposes.

If you do not agree, that's fine with me. I'm not like you and you are not like me. The world would be pretty boring if we were all alike and agreed on everything. As a matter of fact, this forum and all the others like it would suck.:)

Here is some reading on the MEU(SOC) that I found to be pretty accurate. http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/meusoc.htm

·
Registered
403 Posts
Not that I have a huge amount of experience or anything, but the few times I've shot a 1911, the experience has largely been 'meh'. So for me this would be an easy call, but then again, I'll probably never buy a 1911 in the first place.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts