Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellers.......

I need to tap into your collective thoughts for a moment please. I've been going back and forth between these two guns for a bit and I'd really prefer to stick to just one from a home defense standpoint. Here's what I've been thinking so far:

If I use my XD-9 with 15 round mags with 124gr +P GDHP ammo, I've got a decent weapon to defend myself/home/family with. The +P ammo should perform fine.

If I use my 1911 with 7 round mags with 200gr +P GDHP ammo, I've got a decent weapon to defend myself/home/family with. The +P ammo should perform fine.

Now, here's the pickle -- if both perform fine wouldn't it make more sense to use the 9 instead of the 45 based on ammo capacity alone? But then again, the general consensus is that the 45 would have more umphhh behind it thus (in theory) having to use less shots to stop a BG. But I've also read that modern day 9mm HP ammo can and quite often does perform equally or better than 45 ammo.....but is that only 45 ball ammo or 45 HP ammo? And if the 9mm +P HP performs up to par with the 45 HP, what about 45 +P HP? I've read the ballistics and for the GD's, there is roughly a 100ftlbs difference between the two. But, I've also read that energy doesn't matter, velocity does. BUT, I've read the contrary too.........velocity doesn't mean anything, impact energy does.

So, should I just check into a head-shrinker's office now.....or is there any real data out there besides all the marketing hype?

Thanks for letting my vent just a bit. :)

Edit: BTW, I shoot both guns equally well.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
I would say that both are good options. The idea is to stop a threat. Any ammo, +p or otherwise will do just that. If you were to confront someone in your home, it would be CQ, 15 feet or closer in most cases.

There is no wrong answer to your question.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
i would use teh XD in 9mm or .40 with an ammo that wont over-penetrate. Its my undersanding that police forces shy away form anything in ,45 cause it goes through everybody and everything behind them :twisted:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Use what you feel most comfortable with. Practice with both in low light situations. Either gun is a good way to go. no wrong or right answer here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In regards to stopping power... 45 all the way. Think Hydro-Static shock. The 9mm is good but the 45 round will shut the body down instantly.

Also, most data reports out there state that the typical gun battle is done after four or five shots. Especially close-quarter gun battles. Good things to think about when making your decision.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
Regardless of the caliber....

I agree with mullanman. Shooting both guns equally as well at the range is one thing.

But

Which gun do you want in your hand when you've just been awakened from a dead sleep at 2 a.m.?

I haven't trained with a 1911 style pistol enough to bet my life on it. I'd choose the XD.

bd

·
Registered
119 Posts
AR-15!

Oh, well then I'd go with the 9mm, I like the higher capacity.
Now a high capacity .45 would be my desired choice, but in this case I opt for the few extra rounds of the 9mm, just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
BornOnFire said:
In regards to stopping power... 45 all the way. Think Hydro-Static shock. The 9mm is good but the 45 round will shut the body down instantly.

Also, most data reports out there state that the typical gun battle is done after four or five shots. Especially close-quarter gun battles. Good things to think about when making your decision.
The only thing that will shut a man down that is either crazy in the head or is really set on hurting you is either severe internal hemorrhaging or a shot in the brain. The "one shot drop" theory is completely false, unless you hit them in the head or somewhere along the central nervous system. Even shooting someone in the heart will allow them to move anywhere from 10-15 seconds before they are incapacitated. Remember, bullet placement is more important then calibar. In your case, since you shoot both equally, your advantage of the .45 is a bigger radius, and your advantage of a 9mm is more shots. Also, take the other posts advice as well and pick which you shoot better in high-stress low-light situations.

-John

·
Registered
63 Posts
My answer is...which one do YOU handle and shoot better? For me, I can put all my 9mm rounds into a 3"-4" circle @ 15yrds, shooting fairly quickly. With my .45, I can do 5" groups, but I tend to fire slower. Now, with good gun control and accuracy, loaded with pretty much any type of ammo, but especially JHP's, EFMJ, EMB's etc., the 9mm is an awesomely formidable weapon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Both are correct. I keep both an XD9 subcompact and a 1911 with 8 rounds of hollow point 45's in different places in my home.
I like to be prepared.
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
I'm a believer in the "more wind blows through a bigger hole" theory. I will say that the 9mm has taken down lots of people. If capacity is your concern, consider the Para Ordnance P14-45 in single action, or the LDA series. Hard to do better than 15rds of .45 cal power.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I'd recommend the 9mm with FMJ rounds to ensure wounds without completely doing in the BG, once wounded and down, one in each knee and each elbow, followed by duct tape, followed by a beer or two, followed by the .45 in the back of the head. :D

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Its my undersanding that police forces shy away form anything in ,45 cause it goes through everybody and everything behind them

Actually that is incorrect. There are le depts. all over the country that use 45. cal. I can think of 2 in S. Calif right off the bat. Riverside County Sheriff allows numerous brands and calibers of weapons in addition to the revolvers they still issue. The deps. have to purchase them at their own expense.

My former dept. allows the H&K UPS 45cal, in addition to the issued Beretta 92f 9mm. You have to pay for the 45 yourself and qualify prior to carrying it.

I'm sure there are many other depts. who allow their officers to carry a 45cal. pistol

I stayed with the Beretta (actually bought it for $300 when I retired) since I didn't have an extra $700 lying around to buy the H&K. Plus, I liked the 15+1 rounds in the Beretta for multiple suspects. 46 rounds total with my 2 extra mags.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
retired said:
Plus, I liked the 15+1 rounds in the Beretta for multiple suspects. 46 rounds total with my 2 extra mags.
With my previous comments aside, I have the same thing. My Beretta 92F with 3 - 15rd mags. I also have my XDSC 9 with light, which has 2 10 round mags and 1 15 mag round in it.

No FMJs, as previously noted. I use hydroshock rounds in all the mags.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I just went though this very problem. I can tell you that I now carry a XD Service in 9mm. I shoot it way, way better than I did my 1911 and I shot that well. With modern ammo, I'm not worried about the 9mm not preforming and no external safeties to worry about. So, during the day I carry my XD with 16, 147 grain Gold Dots and during the night, I sleep well with my Mossburg 500 next to the bed.

Nothin says "Get out of my house, now." like the racking of a pump action shotty.

·
Registered
170 Posts
DieTrying said:
My answer is...which one do YOU handle and shoot better?
This is all you have to ask yourself...

Both guns shoot fine and one is just as reliable as the other...If I were you, I wouldn't worry about 7rds vs 15rds, 9mm vs 45cal, etc...It comes down to personal perference in a home defense gun and whichever performs better with you pulling the trigger...I may shoot 9mm better, you may shoot 45cal better...Whatever works for YOU in home defense situations.

As I do, you should save the pistols for ranges and/or backups and spend around $250 or less on a mossberg 500 for your primary...Shotguns are cheap, reliable, easy to operate, and will stop nearly any threat...May not be what you're looking for, but worth the money and is your best home defense option IMO...

Also consider investing in a good light...illuminate the threat before you take it down...Gives you that second to identify the threat as well as disorient them...A good light is almost as important as a good weapon.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Both are dependable choices, I believe the .45 has more knock down compared to a 9mm (both will do the job) but you may want to consider a 12ga shotgun for home defense, I personally would not want to try and pick somebody out in a dark room in the middle of the night half awake to hit with a pistol IMHO

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow......thanks for all of the replies. I've "analyzed" this do death in my opinion -- so much so that at one point I truly believe I gave myself a headache, if you can believe that!!

As others have mentioned, I do indeed have a Remmy 870 pump with an M4 stock and an extended magazine installed. I also have a Bushmaster AR15 M4. I keep both loaded downstairs and I've been known to have the shotgun by the bed at night once in a while. It's just the damn shotgun is too bulky to move smoothly around in my cramped house.

For my handguns (XD9 and 1911), I use a Streamlight M6 as both weapons have the 1913 rail.

I gotta admit, I really don't shoot one gun better than the other.....although the 1911 is inherently more accurate, but that's just the way the barrel locks up to the slide I guess. I don't shoot one faster than the other, but raising the 1911 from the low-ready position takes a hair bit more time because the overall weight compared to the polymer XD.

Presently, only my 1911 has night sights installed (came that way from SA). I've been considering trijicons for the XD (I know about the others available) along with an Armory Kote job and a trigger job.

I guess I could buy some hi-cap magazines for the 1911, but I've read that hi-caps aren't too terribly reliable.

Some people say the 1911 isn't a home defense gun because of the easy single-action trigger......that the 1911 in a "high-stress" situation isn't a good combination, and that it's more of a "combat" gun than anything else. I can't help but thinking that war, of all things, surely must be high-stress and that taking aim at another person in self-defense under any circumstance could be considered combat.....just not in the WWII sense. But overall, couldn't the same thing be said regarding our beloved XD's?

Anyway, thanks again for all your comments about this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow......thanks for all of the replies. I've "analyzed" this do death in my opinion -- so much so that at one point I truly believe I gave myself a headache, if you can believe that!!

As others have mentioned, I do indeed have a Remmy 870 pump with an M4 stock and an extended magazine installed. I also have a Bushmaster AR15 M4. I keep both loaded downstairs and I've been known to have the shotgun by the bed at night once in a while. It's just the damn shotgun is too bulky to move smoothly around in my cramped house.

For my handguns (XD9 and 1911), I use a Streamlight M6 as both weapons have the 1913 rail.

I gotta admit, I really don't shoot one gun better than the other.....although the 1911 is inherently more accurate, but that's just the way the barrel locks up to the slide I guess. I don't shoot one faster than the other, but raising the 1911 from the low-ready position takes a hair bit more time because the overall weight compared to the polymer XD.

Presently, only my 1911 has night sights installed (came that way from SA). I've been considering trijicons for the XD (I know about the others available) along with an Armory Kote job and a trigger job.

I guess I could buy some hi-cap magazines for the 1911, but I've read that hi-caps aren't too terribly reliable.

Some people say the 1911 isn't a home defense gun because of the easy single-action trigger......that the 1911 in a "high-stress" situation isn't a good combination, and that it's more of a "combat" gun than anything else. I can't help but thinking that war, of all things, surely must be high-stress and that taking aim at another person in self-defense under any circumstance could be considered combat.....just not in the WWII sense. But overall, couldn't the same thing be said regarding our beloved XD's?

Anyway, thanks again for all your comments about this.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts