Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this is probably going to be a silly question but I really don't know and this is my very first 1911. I had another thread going about the 1911 I just got, Armscore Rockisland 1911 .45. I am now looking for magazines for it and damned if I can find ANY!! I am wondering if all 1911 Mags are the same or if this thing is going to just have the one 8rd mag that it comes with...lol...I can't deal with having just one mag, and a single 8rd mag to boot just sucks!! My XDM .40 has room for 16rds, half that is going to take some getting used to!! lol

So I guess three questions:
1) Are 1911 mags interchangable, or are there others that will work in this gun?
2) Is it possible to get mags with higher capacity?
3) Does anyone know where I can find mags that will fit this gun if it needs "its own" mags?

Thanks guys, appreciate the help here!

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Mags are pretty standard although some guns run better with certain brands. If yours takes 8 round mags then you just need a Govt (full size) mag. Wilson, CMC, Tripp, Checkmate,etc all make Govt mags. Buy one and make sure your gun likes that brand before loading up on them.

There are 10 round mags available but they will stick out a bit. Unlike your XD, the 1911 is a single stack and single stacks will generally have less capacity than double stacks not to mention the larger caliber.

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
Mags are relatively standard, although the most reliable magazine I've found (and I've tried many) is the Wilson combat model 47D.

Most 1911 magazines will fit in your gun, and some manufacturers make 10 round magazines. There are a handful of gimmicky items like high capacity drum mags, but I'd stay away from them for any serious purpose.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Congrats on the new RIA. i have a few generic mags that work well( range use), But i carry my ACT-MAG 's for SD, they function well in my TAC. I do own a couple Chip McCormick 10 round mags and they work well for me, keep the 10 rounder in at home.

You'll just have to try some out, test them. Also remember your RIA is going to need some break in time. Good luck and have fun testing!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This certainly explains why I am not finding any mags for the RIA then...as for the drum type mags and such...I say phooy...lol not into them, that is a fad that wore off of me a long time ago. More bullets don't make you a better shot....:rolleyes:...more practice on the other hand may help...maybe lol

Thanks guys! Time to do some shopping and testing...like I need an excuse to go shoot!! lol

Thanks again!

·
Registered
542 Posts
There are 10 round mags available but they will stick out a bit. Unlike your XD, the 1911 is a single stack and single stacks will generally have less capacity than double stacks not to mention the larger caliber.[/QUOTE]

Were the ten round magz for the long slide?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
For IPSC I use McCormack (CMC) 10 rounders. The Wilsons and CMC mags have been the most reliable. They will work in any 1911 patern gun. They even work in my SA Ultra Compact. That includes the 10 rounders.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great info, seems like the general consensus is Wilson 47D's or Chip McCormick mags for carry and most reliable. Think I will get a couple of each of those and some generic cheapies to play with at the range...

Do any of you CC the 1911? I was thinking about maybe using this one but am thinkin' it may be a bit too "beefy" to be comfortable...guess that is an excuse to buy me another one...compact this time tho...lol :D

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Great info, seems like the general consensus is Wilson 47D's or Chip McCormick mags for carry and most reliable. Think I will get a couple of each of those and some generic cheapies to play with at the range...

Do any of you CC the 1911? I was thinking about maybe using this one but am thinkin' it may be a bit too "beefy" to be comfortable...guess that is an excuse to buy me another one...compact this time tho...lol :D
Absolutely. I carry an alloy 4" 1911 but I know quite a few folks that carry a full size steel 39oz 1911. The secret to carrying anything is a good holster and GUN belt.

As to the mags, a large number of 1911 malfunctions are attributed to mags. You paid good money for the gun and the ammo you shoot will cost a lot more than the gun. Why go cheap on mags?!?!? Some of my Wilson Combat mags are more than 15 years old and have as many of 10k rounds through them. Buy good stuff and it will last a long time.

Buy Once .. Cry Once!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Absolutely. I carry an alloy 4" but I know quite a few folks that carry a full size steel 39oz 1911. The secret to carrying anything is a good holster and GUN belt.
I was told the weight on this one is 2.5 pounds, 40 ounce so thats in the ball park. As for holsters, I picked up aa IWB by Tagua...pic below. Is this a good one? Guess it would have been a good idea to get an opinion before I got it but...hind sight is always 20/20 lol...any recommendations on holster and belt. I have some time, I have my CCW class on the 27th and about a month wait for my permit...so no hurry right now

$holster.jpg

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Absolutely. I carry an alloy 4" 1911 but I know quite a few folks that carry a full size steel 39oz 1911. The secret to carrying anything is a good holster and GUN belt.

As to the mags, a large number of 1911 malfunctions are attributed to mags. You paid good money for the gun and the ammo you shoot will cost a lot more than the gun. Why go cheap on mags?!?!? Some of my Wilson Combat mags are more than 15 years old and have as many of 10k rounds through them. Buy good stuff and it will last a long time.

Buy Once .. Cry Once!
Agree 100% here!! If you spend good cash on the weapon, why cheapen it with crappy, undependable accessories!!?? :rolleyes: seen lots of ppl spend several hundred $$ to the thousands on the gun then put a cheap pile of a scope on it...can't make sense of it...lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was told the weight on this one is 2.5 pounds, 40 ounce so thats in the ball park. As for holsters, I picked up aa IWB by Tagua...pic below. Is this a good one? Guess it would have been a good idea to get an opinion before I got it but...hind sight is always 20/20 lol...any recommendations on holster and belt. I have some time, I have my CCW class on the 27th and about a month wait for my permit...so no hurry right now

View attachment 5671
A 1911 really needs a holster with two attachment points distribute the weight. As far as holsters I recommend the crossbreed supertuck and a wilderness belt.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I have the original Mag that came with my RIA 1911 I also have some generic mags that a friend gave me that I believe came from Sportsmans Guide. Those I just use for the range, and there not bad but not 100% either,but when it comes to a carry mag. the only one I use is the Wilson Combat mag. Not saying any of the others are bad mind you, but the WCM has never failed to let the slide chamber a round or lock the slide back any other time than when it was supposed to. That was using all types of JHP, FMJ and reloads. The WCM might cost more but IMO well worth it for SD/HD.

·
Registered
937 Posts
1911 mags are 1911 mags but,

Some guns like some mags some don't...

I feel like Kimber Tac mags are great and offer an EXCELLENT value. I paid $24.99 for mine... I have various others including chip mccormic that work well also.

Carrying a fullsize 1911 is a bit hefty... I use a crossbreed supertuck and a good gun belt when I carry either gun but especially my fullzise all steel 1911.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Some don't care for them but I like Checkmate mags.
They are the stock mags for my Dan Wesson, so I bought two more.

I used WC as well as the stock Kimber mags in my Kimber.

I used Metalform in my RIA, I bought them from Springfield.
I tried Mecgars in my RIA and they didn't go in properly.

If you want the absolute best, I'd go either WC or Tripp.
Tripp Research Inc. 1911 Magazines

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1911 mags are 1911 mags but,

Some guns like some mags some don't...

I feel like Kimber Tac mags are great and offer an EXCELLENT value. I paid $24.99 for mine... I have various others including chip mccormic that work well also.

Carrying a fullsize 1911 is a bit hefty... I use a crossbreed supertuck and a good gun belt when I carry either gun but especially my fullzise all steel 1911.
I just ordered 2 of the Kimber 1911 8rd Tac-Mags for $40.00, think I'm gonna grab a couple of the Wilson 47D's too and then find some generic range mags.

I was wondering about how comfortable this thing was going to be to pack around...it's heavy and bulky...will give it a go and see how it feels tho. If need be I can change over to my XDM until I can get into a smaller 1911...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Mine hasn't objected to any mag I've used, not that there's been a real wide variety. I just can't fire it left handed because my trigger finger hits the slide lock in recoil.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts