Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my XDs and I have been doing a lot of shooting between it and my new 1911. Both are great single stacks and I had a crazy thought... What are the differences between the two magazines and feed mechanics.

When I compared the magazines I noticed that the XDs magazine is a bit wider than my 1911 mags so they won't fit in the magwell of my 1911, but the 1911 mags will slide into the XDs. Obviously the mag release catch doesn't line up but everything else lines up including the slide stop lip on the follower.

Has anyone else thought to modify 1911 mags to fit in their XDs?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I think it's a missed opportunity not making the XDs compatible with 1911 magazines. It's a single stack .45, so the tube is essentially the same - only the opening, follower and catch are different. I don't know if packaging constraints made it impossible, but considering this was a Croatian design, I doubt it was ever considered a possibility.

I would like the idea of being able to use an 8 or 10 round 1911 mag either at the range or as a re-load. 1911 mags are a lot easier to find, too.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I think it's a missed opportunity not making the XDs compatible with 1911 magazines. It's a single stack .45, so the tube is essentially the same - only the opening, follower and catch are different. I don't know if packaging constraints made it impossible, but considering this was a Croatian design, I doubt it was ever considered a possibility.

I would like the idea of being able to use an 8 or 10 round 1911 mag either at the range or as a re-load. 1911 mags are a lot easier to find, too.
A missed opportunity for who? Springfield?
They would lose money on magazine sales, which I imagine nets quite a bit of profit.
It's not like people are going to go out of their way to buy the Springfield 1911 mags. They will have the Springfield mags that came with their 1911. Generally all the spares are going to be Wilson combat mags or possibly Kimber mags. Springfield would lose mag profit.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
I wish SA would make 5/6/7 rnd XDs 45acp mags and 7/8/9 rnd XDs 9mm mags. I had logman do five for me and ,if you have a small hand the 6/7 are perfect.

·
Registered
117 Posts
A missed opportunity for who? Springfield?
They would lose money on magazine sales, which I imagine nets quite a bit of profit.
It's not like people are going to go out of their way to buy the Springfield 1911 mags. They will have the Springfield mags that came with their 1911. Generally all the spares are going to be Wilson combat mags or possibly Kimber mags. Springfield would lose mag profit.
An opportunity to call that out as a selling point. You're still going to have dedicated 5 round mags. However, I wasn't trying to analyze the business implications - just my opinion for a chance to make a compatible design that wasn't taken.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There was a thread here awhile back about making 1911 mags work in the XDs. It took some Dremal work. Seems pretty simple.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
I truly cannot comprehend what makes gun owners a bunch of cheap-asses :roll: Use the magazine it was designed for...save the Dremel-fu for the Pearce Extensions...

I equate this to somebody buying a Corvette and then filling it with the cheapest fuel they can find--its just ignorant and completely unnecessary!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I truly cannot comprehend what makes gun owners a bunch of cheap-asses :roll: Use the magazine it was designed for...save the Dremel-fu for the Pearce Extensions...

I equate this to somebody buying a Corvette and then filling it with the cheapest fuel they can find--its just ignorant and completely unnecessary!
In general I agree, but the scenario of carrying a 1911 and XDs and having mags that interchange between the two guns would be an exception. However, I wouldn't be inclined to take that approach. My take would be to carry a compact 1911 as a BUG to a full-size 1911 and carry full-size mags as spares. Or carry two XDs in the same caliber and carry extended mags as spares.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
In general I agree, but the scenario of carrying a 1911 and XDs and having mags that interchange between the two guns would be an exception. However, I wouldn't be inclined to take that approach. My take would be to carry a compact 1911 as a BUG to a full-size 1911 and carry full-size mags as spares. Or carry two XDs in the same caliber and carry extended mags as spares.
I agree...the possibility of magazine failures, damage to the platform, inconsistent feeding and the fact that 1911 magazines aren't any cheaper/easier to find than XDS Mags equates this to another ill-conceived piece of novelty theorum...Could SA have made it compatible with 1911 mags? Sure, but they didn't...I wouldn't try to jam an XD mag into my buddy's XDm either...same principle

Eat Ramen for a couple meals, save your pennies and buy the correct magazines for the correct guns...its not rocket science

1 - 14 of 14 Posts