Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Notice how the round didn't feed up, it got caught on the lip at the front. It's strange how they did the crease, then like a mini ramp at the top....

another of that mag

here's the bottom.

and side by side with it's black twin. The black one works great, but notice no crease...

To me, that's just a blur. I have to concentrate on the front sight....

On to stripping the slide down... Still looking for someone to find a way to remove the extractor without having to take the extra trigger safety out by removing the top sights on a model 80 1911... sigh. :-?

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
gah.. it cut off the whole beginning....

went to the range after work with my Kimber Pro Carry II 1911 model 80.

Love it.

I have a strange mag that won't feed hollow points or Wolf FMJ. It likes 124 grain FMJ just fine, but that's it. I've posted pics above and below.
Any ideas on that mag would be appreciated.

Here's my date tonight:

Still have a ways to go.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just some more stuff for bored 1911 guys on a friday night with nothing else better to do.. :rolleyes:

at 30'

weirdo mag again

and I bought the Wolf just for range practice. 1000 rounds for $162 delivered to the door. Caught the sale just right. At least for me around here... That was on SportsmanGuide...

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and this is why I do a detailed cleaning.
Found this needs replacing. It came out that way. Interesting.
It will still function just fine. But I'll replace it and throw the old one in a bag for parts if absolutely needed or if someone else needs it.

and here's what I use to inspect and detail clean everything.

and onward I go... Hmmm. LIFEFORCE or the new A-TEAM... decisions..

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A HA!!!! Finally found my answer...

Using the punch, pull down the Firing Pin Stop and remove it. Cover the Firing Pin opening with your thumb, and press the Firing Pin Lock Plunger again, to release the Firing Pin. This action will allow the Firing Pin to move back against the pressure of the Firing Pin Spring. Remove the Firing Pin together with its Spring. Pushing the Firing Pin Lock Plunger inwards, pull the extractor slightly backwards. You must pull it enough, so that the Firing Pin Lock Plunger can be freely removed from the bottom of the slide.

More details: Pry outward lightly on the extractor. When you see it barely move, the plunger should pop out a little. Grab it with needle nose pliers and pull the plunger and spring out. Careful...That spring is both small and lively. If it hits the floor, you will be lucky to find it. If you have to put more than just a little pressure on the plunger to remove it, the extractor still has it captive, and you will have to apply a little "wiggle" to find the sweet spot. If the pistol is fairly clean, the plunger will pop out far enough to remove it easily. A dirty channel will require a little persuasion. With the plunger and
spring out, the extractor can be removed in the normal manner.
------------

·
Registered
56 Posts
Wow that's a ton of work

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow that's a ton of work
I love doing it. Takes time but it's fun.

Even take the magazine catch apart and detail it.

:D

It's really bad on a day when I take 3 or more to the range.. I go nuts till I get them all detailed.

OCD....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
I recently got two of those 9mm Metalform mags with my SA Loaded coupon.
I've yet to use them at the range.
I just loaded one up and it looked a lot like your pic.
But I hand cycled 9 rounds thru the RIA tactical and they all cycled fine.
I did that 3 times without a problem.
We will see what happens at the range when I go..
But I'll agree, that crease in the front is odd.
Perhaps they just do that with the 9mms.

I love doing it. Takes time but it's fun.

Even take the magazine catch apart and detail it.

:D

It's really bad on a day when I take 3 or more to the range.. I go nuts till I get them all detailed.

OCD....:rolleyes:
You're not alone, I do that as well.
I clean my firearms with dental picks to remove every grain of spent powder..

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah. Got me a nice set of pics, too. They do wonder for carbon build up in those nooks and crannys. Got a set with different angles for whatever might come up.

I finally got the extractor out. What a hassle. Dirty, too.
Needed cleaning in there.

Polished up everything else.

That plunger spring is the only thing that shows any damage.
Not sure how that got bent like that..

Realized the mainspring housing on it is some kind of high impact polymer, not aluminum like the frame. Disassembled that as well. I'm gonna replace that. I don't want plastic on it. The grips are the only non metallic object on it other than that.

Oh, did do a pull test at the range on the trigger on this Kimber and it came out to about 4.8 lb average pull. Did about 5 to get a good average.
That RIA I think was at 6 lbs even after I tweaked it a bit. Might go for just a bit lighter on it later. Concentrating on the Kimber today.

I've tweaked the kimber just a smidgen and polished up some parts.
Pull test it again tomorrow. No detail cleaning afterward, just a good one. It's getting late... Still have to reassemble now and polish up the outside nice and pretty.

Been having fun with my phone and pics, too.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You're not alone, I do that as well.
I clean my firearms with dental picks to remove every grain of spent powder..
As do we...takes FOREVER! Still, I mil-spec check whatever gun he's cleaning and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally done.
This is a clean Kimber. :)

Now.. to start on the mags...

they can wait till tomorrow.

No they can't....

Gaah, he wins again. :shock: ok, I'll clean them while starting a movie...

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
As do we...takes FOREVER! Still, I mil-spec check whatever gun he's cleaning and vice versa.
Glad to see you two are keeping each other in check...;)
When I sold my Kimber, the guy asked me "are you sure you've shot this pistol?"
"Yes Sir, about 800 rounds, but thoroughly cleaned after each outing.."
I took that as a compliment...:cool:
Hell, I scrub the breech with a nylon barrel brush until it looks new again.
It that doesn't work, it goes lightly with brass barrel brush until it is clean..
Yeah, I have issues...

Diocoles my plunger spring in my Kimber CDP Ultra was the same way.
Being my first 1911, I just figured it was supposed to be that way..:shock::oops:
I never had any problems with it..:D

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
1911 is designed around the .45 acp and .38 super anything else is a compromise and requires modification. Learn the gun as you are and figure out how to make the adjustments and go.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts