Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still consider myself new to handguns, and I had this question last night.
What is so awesome about 1911 handguns. I am not saying I do not like them. I do not really have an opinion on them just yet (hence the reason for this). Are they better than modern styled handguns?

Your thoughts and answers are much appreciated

thanks guys,

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Personal pref. Some folks love them and others don't just like Glocks, AKs, M9s, revolvers, or any other firearm. Most of us that like them love the trigger, grip angle, balance, etc and all the other things that make it a 1911. For me, there definitely is no trigger like a 1911 trigger. I've got XDs, Glock, revolver, etc but I'm more accurate and faster on target with my 1911s.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at them last night, the Springfield and Kimber, and I was just noticing how smooth lookin everything is. Also how slim it is as well. I kinda want one now haha

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Who told you the 1911 isn't a modern handgun? With few exceptions, nearly every handgun you'll ever shoot owes its basic design to JMB's delayed recoil concept. I'd say the 1911, until a new mechanism is conceived and surpasses it, is just as modern as anything you can put it up against.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just how i have seen the two differentiated while reading

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Just how i have seen the two differentiated while reading
I just didn't comment on it since the term "modern" is subjective and focused on my preference for the platform. Although the 1911 design is 100 years old, many variants are not nearly that old as well as many of the lightweight models. The EMP my wife carries was released in 2006 and Kimber just released the Solo which is categorized by many as a 1911 variant. Although they are variants of the 100 year old design they are definitely different from that 100 year old all steel 5" GI design. By contrast, most consider the Glock to be a "modern" firearm however the original design is almost 30 years old so perhaps we need a definition of "modern".

To be honest, the age of the design is not a consideration at all to me. As mentioned earlier, to me it's all about reliability, usability, and accuracy. If I was more effective with my XD then that's what I'd be carrying.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I guess the question is why has the 1911 design lasted for over 100 years and shows every indication of going another ???? years? The design is an enduring design that was very near perfect in 1911, and only relatively minor changes have been needed to bring it to perfection.

Yes, I know, some would say I just insulted JMB, but I bet he would agree. There are many mods but only a few really help the design for a general application. First is a good beavertail safety, open throating on the barrel for more reliable feeding of other than ball, enlarged ejection port, and good (larger) sights. Those are a minimum; everything else becomes a specialized application need or a matter of personal preference, IMO. Consider that most of these "minimum" mods came about after about 1970. The pistol worked just fine as designed for 60 years!

I can shoot no other pistol as well as the 1911; it fits my hand perfectly and points naturally, which is one reason the XD adopted the same grip angle. It has the easiest trigger to master, but it is very unforgiving of sloppy handling. As designed, meaning not all tightened up for "match" accuracy, it will run forever, especially on ball, and with the mods I mentioned, perhaps adding some extractor tuning and judicious polishing, it will happily feed even empty shells. Mine will do that!

The 1911 is a product of the industrial age when machining and fitting of parts QC were at their peak. Unfortunately today, even with modern manufacturing efficiencies and techniques, they are assembly line machines that often suffer the weaknesses associated with that process. And the 1911 is a machining-intensity design, which adds cost. Realize that prewar Colts were hand assembled and fitted; they ran like clocks! They were using the same machinery, albeit well worn, to make them in the 1980s!

You might say the 1911 is indeed much better than modern handguns, and I will concede on some points they are inferior. I own revolvers and XDs, and I like my XDm, but it is not a svelte 1911 with a 1911 trigger even with its Springer trigger. BUT unlike the 1911 the bulkier but still comfortable-in-the-hand XDm holds 13+1 and costs considerably less than a good 1911. Without the thumb safety, the XDm is a bit easier to bring into play. I don't shoot it as well as the 1911 but well enough. I would say (and throwing in S&W M&Ps and Glocks, etc) "better" may be found in the preferences of the user, since none can do everything we might want of them.

CX

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
I'm a big fan of "modern" guns, as I have several M&P's, XD/XDm's and Glocks as well as having owned an H&K. All are great guns. I also have about 2 dozen 1911's and there's a reason that they're still around, alive and kicking after 100 years. They are GREAT guns. :)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I'm a big fan of "modern" guns, as I have several M&P's, XD/XDm's and Glocks as well as having owned an H&K. All are great guns. I also have about 2 dozen 1911's and there's a reason that they're still around, alive and kicking after 100 years. They are GREAT guns. :)

Are there pictures of this in existence? I'd love to see what 2 dozen 1911s looks like. :)

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Are there pictures of this in existence? I'd love to see what 2 dozen 1911s looks like. :)
You really love to show what an ass you can be when I post don't you? Well, I'll post a few so you can feel better little boy.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You really love to show what an ass you can be when I post don't you? Well, I'll post a few so you can feel better little boy.
First of all, way to be a prick about nothing. I have no idea who you even are. I'm sure I probably pissed you off at some point, but that's not what I was doing here. Little boy? Very mature, sport. :rolleyes:

Anyways, nice 1911s (no sarcasm). Dick.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
First of all, way to be a prick about nothing. I have no idea who you even are. I'm sure I probably pissed you off at some point, but that's not what I was doing here. Little boy? Very mature, sport. :rolleyes:

Anyways, nice 1911s (no sarcasm). Dick.
Hey Dick, what a fitting name for yourself, keep coming back so I can show you some of my 1911's. It's gonna take awhile, so just stick it around. Anyway, I gotta get back to posting my 1911's just so I can make you feel better about what I posted before you chimed your silly comment.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Hey Dick, what a fitting name for yourself, keep coming back so I can show you some of my 1911's. It's gonna take awhile, so just stick it around. Anyway, I gotta get back to posting my 1911's just so I can make you feel better about what I posted before you chimed your silly comment.
Haha, good stuff. You post whatever you need to. I'll enjoy the pictures and ignore how pathetic you are. Thanks for the pictures though. ;)

BTW, since you are apparently too ignorant, I'll explain something to you. My original post was a light-hearted attempt at getting a picture of all 24 1911s at once. I can Google 1911 all day and get any pictures I want. It's not every day you see someone that owns 2 dozen 1911s. Ok, you go back to being a jackass now. Last word goes to you.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Gotta start a new post for some more.

Got a few more that I don't pics of, but if need be, just let me know.

·
Registered
324 Posts
This is the ultimate threadjack!

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
This is the ultimate threadjack!
We can blame our good buddy snowblower for that. He seemed to need "proof" that I have a few guns in my collection. Sorry I don't have pics of them all, so I hope he'll be able to sleep tonight. :rolleyes: I apologize to the OP. Didn't mean to threadjack, as I tried to give a straight answer in my original post, but these forums always seem to have a few snowblower's around to get things side tracked.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
We can blame our good buddy snowblower for that. He seemed to need "proof" that I have a few guns in my collection. Sorry I don't have pics of them all, so I hope he'll be able to sleep tonight. :rolleyes: I apologize to the OP. Didn't mean to threadjack, as I tried to give a straight answer in my original post, but these forums always seem to have a few snowblower's around to get things side tracked.
I don't know what your deal is, but you are either just bored and doing a little trolling, or you don't get that I just wanted to see some pictures. Nowhere did I mention anything about proof. I even posted the stupid little smiley guy to make sure it wasn't misinterpreted in any way. I guess that worked great didn't it? :rolleyes: I enjoy 1911s a lot. Notice that I posted a few pictures as well.

I blame your ignorance/boredom for the threadjack. I doubt the OP minds seeing some sweet 1911 action either. ;)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i retake my post, i posted before looking at the next page (oh no) nice collection, also, calm down fellas, snowblazer was just trying to see your collection he didn't mean anything by it. Joe, thank you for the posts, informative and very appealing guns you have haha. Makes me want a 1911 more and more

1 - 20 of 68 Posts