Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just swapped out the ILS on myRO for a S&A magwell. When I ordered the new mainspring pins, I forgot to order a new mainspring. I found a wilson combat 19# in my parts box and through that in. Everything else on the RO is stock. Will this configuration be ok? I shoot factory 230gr ammo

I've shot about 150 rounds so far without issue. My concern is if the light spring will cause some sort of internal damage over time???

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Why not just run a 16 with standard 230gr? He'll, it's what the gun was designed for.

Any benefit to the 18 minus coils though? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
That isn't a light spring. Standard is 16#. The 19# might cause short stroking. I run 18# with a coil or two removed with 230.

CX
Just want to make sure we're all talking about the mainspring and not the recoil spring. If so, I believe the generally accepted factory weight for the mainspring is 23 lbs. Since the conversation is about the MSH and ILS I assumed that is the case. I believe 16 lbs would be very far on the light end for "spec"

I doubt there would be issues with a 19lb mainspring, and many are installed in CMP Service Pistol "hardball" guns shooting service load 230gr FMJ. For more information on ILS, this is the best resource at the 1911 Forum.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=135279

1911 AUTO MAINSPRING HOUSING REBUILD KIT | Brownells

Why not just run a 16 with standard 230gr? He'll, it's what the gun was designed for.
I believe the typical "spec" recoil spring for a government size 1911 45 ACP is 16 lbs. Is that what you're referring to? I do not believe the 1911 was designed for a 16 pound mainspring.

http://blog.wilsoncombat.com/1911/a-guide-to-1911-recoil-springs-by-wilson-combat/

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/trigger_job.htm

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That isn't a light spring. Standard is 16#. The 19# might cause short stroking. I run 18# with a coil or two removed with 230.

CX
I'm taking the mainspring, not the recoil spring

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't you just use the stock mainspring? Isn't the mainspring the same with or without an ILS?
no, the mainspring is shorter. and way to high in tension

·
Registered
588 Posts

Any benefit to the 18 minus coils though? Just curious.
Wanted a tad more force going into battery but 18 was more than desired. Sixteen would have probably worked just fine.

CX

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Soooo, do you guys think I'll be ok with a 19# mainspring with my stock 16# recoil spring? Also, the firing pin spring is springfield stock

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Running a 19 lb mainspring dropped my trigger pull about 1/4 - 1/2 pound. The reason I had my trigger job with a 23 lb mainspring was for that reason. 4 lbs is the minimum for Service Pistol and 3.5 lbs for BE. Just swapping the mainspring allows me to meet the minimums for both and adjust for the competition. I haven't had an issue with the 19 lb and reliability. No light primer strikes, no hammer follow through, unintentional slide openings, etc. IMO those start at Mainspring weights below 19 lbs. In the end I couldn't detect the difference so I just left the 23 lbs mainspring in.

Some have had to replace the stock titanium hammer and "extra extra" power firing pin spring with a steel firing pin and standard "extra" power firing pin when dropping to 19lbs or below. Be aware / cautioned that the safety in the Springfield is the light "titanium" firing pin and the "extra extra" power firing pin spring, so you will be bypassing the safety device internal to the pistol and it is will no longer be "drop safe".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts