Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PLEASE ONLY USE PUBLISHED DATA. CHAMBERS VARY FROM GUN TO GUN . ALWAYS START LOW AND WORK UP SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.

Springfield XD 4" Compact .45acp

Hornady XTP 185 gr
Longshot 7.2 - 9.1g hornady manual
Winchester brass
CCI Large pistol Primer
1.213"
3/4 turn factory post die Lee

All averages are from a minimum 6 shots.

AVERAGE VELOCITY. HI LO VARIATION

8.2. 925. 17
8.5. 1001. 21
8.8. 1017. 3
9.0. 1058. 8

All shown similiar accuracy.

max is 9.1g ( HO manual) 1050 fps was also achieved at this max charge. I am not sure what their test barrel length was, I don't have the book in front of me but I got there .1 under max. w/ a 4". 8.8g was the nicest most consistent load for me.

longshot is an excellent powder for reaching effective self defense velocities and keeping pressure safe. Nonetheless, start min and work slow watching for signs of pressure , v flattening , etc.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Yes... as with the .40cal thread, I too have found Longshot to be an excellent powder for loadings requiring higher velocities without straining the pressure limit. It also burns cleanly and works well with lead bullets in my testing. I am glad to see someone else doing more testing and reporting with Longshot. I would not recommend Longshot for minimum power "target loads" as it does require some pressure to operate consistently, but from about 1/2 way up its load range in a particular caliber and upwards it is a very good powder.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Longshot is my powder of choice for jot .40 loads. It creates it's velocity similar to the way lilgun works in magnum loads. Burns hotter creating more velocity without excessive pressure. Great stuff.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Longshot is my powder of choice for jot .40 loads. It creates it's velocity similar to the way lilgun works in magnum loads. Burns hotter creating more velocity without excessive pressure. Great stuff.
It'll get the .40s going as well. It's kina slow burning for .45acp, regardless I get great results and it is my Go To for SD and full power loads in both calibers. I also use it for .357 and several others. love the stuff and need more !!!!

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Longshot works good for 9mm Lugar too.

Hodgdon Longshot .356" 1.150" starting load 4.8 vel 958 pressure 23,000 PSI Max load 5.8 velosity 1,135 pressure 32,300 PSI

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Longshot works good for 9mm Lugar too.

Hodgdon Longshot .356" 1.150" starting load 4.8 vel 958 pressure 23,000 PSI Max load 5.8 velosity 1,135 pressure 32,300 PSI
Good to know! Thanks . I have all the components subtract the die set. Kina backwards I know but ????? I will get a carbide set soon. Longshot has my vote, off topic so does N340. Coincidentely they have the same burn rate. Or no concidence lol!?! Longshot has a little better velocity too. I love slower pistol powders!

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
PLEASE ONLY USE PUBLISHED DATA. CHAMBERS VARY FROM GUN TO GUN . ALWAYS START LOW AND WORK UP SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY.

Springfield XD 4" Compact .45acp

Hornady XTP 185 gr
Longshot 7.2 - 9.1g hornady manual
Winchester brass
CCI Large pistol Primer
1.213"
3/4 turn factory post die Lee

All averages are from a minimum 6 shots.

AVERAGE VELOCITY. HI LO VARIATION

8.2. 925. 17
8.5. 1001. 21
8.8. 1017. 3
9.0. 1058. 8

All shown similiar accuracy.

max is 9.1g ( HO manual) 1050 fps was also achieved at this max charge. I am not sure what their test barrel length was, I don't have the book in front of me but I got there .1 under max. w/ a 4". 8.8g was the nicest most consistent load for me.

longshot is an excellent powder for reaching effective self defense velocities and keeping pressure safe. Nonetheless, start min and work slow watching for signs of pressure , v flattening , etc.
Are you sure you read that load data correctly?
I just looked up load data on Barnes Bullets web site and they listed their 45ACP 185 gr all copper bullet at quite a different load data. They showed the starting load at 6.0 and max load at 7.0 gr. 7.0 gr produced 979 fps from a 4 1/2 inch barrel.
You are showing max load of 9.1 for a similar bullet. That is a major difference.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just looked up load data on Barnes Bullets web site and they listed their 45ACP 185 gr all copper bullet at quite a different load data. They showed the starting load at 6.0 and max load at 7.0 gr. 7.0 gr produced 979 fps from a 4 1/2 inch barrel.
You are showing max load of 9.1 for a similar bullet. That is a major difference.
Yup, pretty sure. I still have my hands too !!!

XTP is not an all copper bullet. Hardness can make a large difference in pressure from similar charges.

PLEASE DO NOT USE OR GO OFF MY DATA THOUGH. GET THE HORNADY 8TH ED. AND USE THAT.

The load was stout though, I give it that.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Uhmmm... they are NOT similar bullets. The Barnes, I believe, is a solid copper bullet (harder to conform to the bore too!) whose length would be much longer for the weight, and thus the pressure higher as there is more of it in contact with the inside of the barrel.

Plus, Barnes may be a bit more conservative, but solid core bullets are really harder to drive so that may be the whole of it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love Longshot to make bullets go fast but I wouldn't use it for defense rounds. From my experience with it with a load of 7.8gr behind a 185gr pill in my 1911 is that is flashy as hell. Don't mind the WWB. The range I went to didn't allowed reloads so I put them in commercial boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I love Longshot to make bullets go fast but I wouldn't use it for defense rounds. From my experience with it with a load of 7.8gr behind a 185gr pill in my 1911 is that is flashy as hell. Don't mind the WWB. The range I went to didn't allowed reloads so I put them in commercial boxes.
I zoomed in on your target. It looks damn accurate too, except for 1 flyer.
Good shooting.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I am still scratching my head about the Hornady Load data for the 185 gr XTP that was posted with the max load at 9.1 gr of Longshot.
I went to Hodgdon website reloading site for their data. They make Longshot Powder. This is their data for a 45 ACP cal 185 gr bullet using Longshot.

Hodgdon Longshot .451" 1.135" starting load 7.2 vel 919 11,300 CUP

Maximum load 8.2 gr vel 1,044 17,000 CUP

Knowing Hornady normally stays within SAMI pressures, I am wondering why they would print load data that is clearly .9 grains over the factory recommended max load presented by the manufacturer of Longshot.

Can anyone give a logical explanation of this and verify that their printed load data in their #8 manual gives a Max Load of 9.1 gr of Longshot for 185 gr XTP in a 45 ACP case? Why would they be that much higher than the Hodgdon Data? I don't have the #8 manual to verify the data. That is why I am asking. 9.1 gr is 10% Over Factory Max Load data. That is not like Hornady to print over max loads due to Liabilities.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I am still scratching my head about the Hornady Load data for the 185 gr XTP that was posted with the max load at 9.1 gr of Longshot.
I went to Hodgdon website reloading site for their data. They make Longshot Powder. This is their data for a 45 ACP cal 185 gr bullet using Longshot.

Knowing Hornady normally stays within SAMI pressures, I am wondering why they would print load data that is clearly .9 grains over the factory recommended max load presented by the manufacturer of Longshot.

Can anyone give a logical explanation of this and verify that their printed load data in their #8 manual gives a Max Load of 9.1 gr of Longshot for 185 gr XTP in a 45 ACP case? Why would they be that much higher than the Hodgdon Data? I don't have the #8 manual to verify the data. That is why I am asking. 9.1 gr is 10% Over Factory Max Load data. That is not like Hornady to print over max loads due to Liabilities.
This is like the old saying "Trust but verify". Sometimes there are misprints caused by bad editing or just confusion when the data is printed. It would not be the first mistake I have seen in some manuals. Usually there is a follow up of some kind when the mistake is found or people write to the manual producer. The internet is a wonderful thing, and checking at the powder producer's site, which hopefully is updated frequently when mistakes are made, means there is a better chance that the site information is more accurate, so I would trust that first (if they use the same bullet). Multiple sources from different producers like the bullet makers or books by Lyman are also a pretty good check on reality. If something looks wrong it probably is. You don't need to trust just one source. That said, a different bullet could change the equation entirely on the top end because of its size (diameter) or bearing surface. So though yours seems an extreme example, it might still be valid depending on how they came up with the load values they printed. Still... I would go with an "average" of the max loads from different sources rather than one source that seems way out of line. When you change components like bullets, primers, and in some instances cases, you cannot rely on the max loadings being the same. Heck, even the chambers they shot out of will sometimes drastically change the results.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I zoomed in on your target. It looks damn accurate too, except for 1 flyer.
Good shooting.
Yes. Had a good rythum going till I saw the flyer hit. But it was also weak, so I either mixed a round with Trail Boss in that batch or didn't get enough powder, but "Loudshot" and 185gr pills are the most accurate load in my 1911. thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Longshot is good stuff! In a 5" .45 Super it will push a 185gr XTP to 1450 fps, which ain't too bad. Works in other stuff too, in .40 it can push a 180gr XTP to 1200 fps from a 4" G23, or 1300 fps from a G35, which is awesome.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
m_f, doesn't look like you're chasing velocity, but I doubt that you'll find a faster STANDARD PRESSURE load with 185 gr. XTP than what Western/Ramshot shows for Silhouette at 1152 FPS. I use their data with the slower 185 gr. Golden Saber which averages 1087 FPS from my 4.5" SR45. Their rated velocity is for a 5" barrel. Because I get more accurate and uniform loads with True Blue, I'll be using it when I get ahold of some 185 gr. XTPs. Western got 1089 FPS with a Max. Charge and will have a good bit less extreme spread and standard deviation where I want velocity variations as small as possible in my defense loads. ;)

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

The hodgdon website is data for a completely different bullet. that's for a 185 gr JSWC not an XTP. I work up in .2 increments from min until I moved to .1 increases near the top end. My load is sound and the way i developed it is safe. I recorded all this over a chrono verifying what hornady said the velocities should be in their 8th Ed. I'm not sure why it's so hard to believe??? Factory is just that , factory. I have the luxury of being able to adjust seating depth, powder type, and charge, primer type etc. Just bc a factory goes (x) fps has absolutely no bearing on what my 185 gr XTP bullet is doing.

No sign of pressure or super high velocities were recorded. A little it of recoil but that is to be expected near top end with Longshot.

Loud as hell.

As to the flash, that sucks but glad to find it out. I haven't got to shoot these xtps except during daylight.
I also have n340, I may have to load a 100 box of xtps with that, a very low flash and super clean powder. It produces similiar velocities with slightly higher pressure, so I will just take a hit In velocity for low flash and safe pressure simultaneously. Another slower powder. Thanks for that info.

I carry PDX1s 230 gr at night time though. Never tested for flash on those. I know what I'll be doing next. Nice tip, thanks a lot

Also , yes I agree on renaming the powder "Loud shot" as well.

maybe one day I will cross paths with silhouette or True Blue. Fingers are crossed.

WORK UP IN SMALL INCREMENTS CHECKING FOR PRESSURE. DO NOT USE MY DATA. ONLY USE PUBLISHED SOURCES.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I just verified it a week ago at the range!!!! Still use your own sources. Buy a book and don't skimp getting recipes from a forum. That's mistake no 1.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
m_f, doesn't look like you're chasing velocity, but I doubt that you'll find a faster STANDARD PRESSURE load with 185 gr. XTP than what Western/Ramshot shows for Silhouette at 1152 FPS. I use their data with the slower 185 gr. Golden Saber which averages 1087 FPS from my 4.5" SR45. Their rated velocity is for a 5" barrel. Because I get more accurate and uniform loads with True Blue, I'll be using it when I get ahold of some 185 gr. XTPs. Western got 1089 FPS with a Max. Charge and will have a good bit less extreme spread and standard deviation where I want velocity variations as small as possible in my defense loads. ;)
the 8.8 charge did pretty solid with a hi lo variation of only 3 Fps. I'm hunting those powders you've mentioned though. It'll be great when I find them.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Longshot is good stuff! In a 5" .45 Super it will push a 185gr XTP to 1450 fps, which ain't too bad. Works in other stuff too, in .40 it can push a 180gr XTP to 1200 fps from a 4" G23, or 1300 fps from a G35, which is awesome.
It is awesome in 40 for me as well. Very nice for sure

1 - 20 of 23 Posts