Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range the other day with my SC and accidentally loaded 17 rounds into my new style 16rnd mag with sleeve. The mag has been a little stiff because it's pretty new so I didn't notice untill I was reloading the same mag and counted how many were missing in my 50 rnd box of American Eagle. Naturally I tried it again to see if I was missing something, then again, and again, and again with no issues. I shot up 150 rounds that day mostly with the 16 rounder loaded with 17 rounds. Is anyone else able to pull this off? Could I potentially cause any damage to my XD or the mag itself or should I be okay? I just thought it was interesting especially for those that carry a service or tac daily. God forbid but that extra round may come in handy one day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can fit 13 into my 12 round .40 magazines. However they do not drop free with 13 as the mag body expands a bit. It is also almost impossible to insert them with the slide in battery (to get 13+1). Finally, very rarely the first round does not feed properly.

At the range I load 1 with 13, 1 with twelve. 2 reloads=50 rounds. I have been doing so for months (1500 rounds or more), and have seen no change in function, nor visible damage to the pistol or the magazines.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had no problems getting the mag to drop free or inserting the mag with the slide in battery. We should be able to get away with this then...

·
Registered
244 Posts
one of my first posts was about this. My service came with 3 hi-cap 16 round mags. By the end my first range day I was able to get 17 in all 3 mags with no change in function or any failures. I still only load 16 when at home for HD just in case, but I do 17 at the range

·
Premium Member
28,482 Posts
I've managed to fit 17 rounds in my no-ban 9mm mags. . . I've been carrying with 17+1, but like somebody else said the mags won't drop free because of the mag swell.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Krackels said:
I've managed to fit 17 rounds in my no-ban 9mm mags. . . I've been carrying with 17+1, but like somebody else said the mags won't drop free because of the mag swell.
they won't drop free when empty?

·
Premium Member
28,482 Posts
c22m22c said:
Krackels said:
they won't drop free when empty?
No, they drop free fine when the mags are empty but when full they won't.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If you can fit more rounds into your mags than expected, then don't complain. On a similar note, I recently upgraded the black original followers in my 20 round govt. issue AR-15 mags to the newer design green follower. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that they now hold 22 rounds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts