Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this, I didn't know there was such a thing. I wonder how fast you could push it. Anybody have quickload?

9mm 165 RN

Might have to try it some time, I've had good luck with X-Treme bullets before for plinking... Could make some REALLY soft loads with these, me thinks.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Theoretically you could slow it down to 760fps and still meet min. PF. for 9mm. Rabbit fart loads lol

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Way too heavy for me

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I know a lot of guys shooting 158gr bullets in their 9mm for min PF loads. You just have to get it moving fast enough to stabilize. Depending on twist rate, they can work fine @ 800fps or not.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
There are some "gun gamers" who use this approach. I think the bullets are originally intended for the 38 Super/Supercomp, but with the small powder charge required, can be squeezed into the 9mm case for minor loads. This often leads to a bit of "fat case syndrome" when the bullet is loaded so deeply but some guns can handle that.

Like Fred said, the twist rate of the barrel will sometimes be a problem accuracy wise, but the "normal" 9mm 1/10 twist rate would seem to still work at those slow velocities in a lot of guns. Personally, very heavy bullets seem to make my XD and Witness guns "sluggish" and I generally favor the more popular of the heavier bullet weights in both 9mm (147grn) and 40cal (180grn).

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do like my 147gr loads but I still have quite a bit of 124's I need to use first. I think these would be great with a can...

I think you'd definitely be seeing the hourglass effect in a 9mm casing. I'm not sure if XD9SC would run these because of how short the barrel is. A carbine with a can though... Oh geez now I just drooled on myself :mrgreen:

·
Registered
921 Posts
Just saw this, I didn't know there was such a thing. I wonder how fast you could push it. Anybody have quickload?

9mm 165 RN

Might have to try it some time, I've had good luck with X-Treme bullets before for plinking... Could make some REALLY soft loads with these, me thinks.
That is NOT for 9mm Luger. Its for 9mm Largo (9x21)

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
Oh those crazy gamers! Always looking for that competitive edge. I get the 147 thing for lower recoil but I always thought 158s were a bit over the top. There will defintely be guys trying to make the 165s work.

Kind of reminds me of British logic. Maybe it was the Dr. No where the armorer took Bond's .25 ACP Beretta away from him and gave him the PPk in .32 and said it hit like a sledgehammer, and Ian Fleming was involved in intelligence during WW II with the British still carrying Enfield revolvers chambered for .38/200 or whatever the heck they called it. The ultimate subsonic round.

One of these days I'd like to see a form of competition catch on that req'd full-power defense loads instead of bunnyfarts that don't even come close to replicating realistic recoil. ;)

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
147gr seems to be a solid weight in 9MM when going minor. 165 will start messing with pulse and at slower velocities may cause issue.

The only thing softer than 9mm minor loads is 40SW minor loads - and I am NO fan of 40SW.

OS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts