Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at the CMMG website and having a hard time trying to pick an upper. I know I want one that is 16", 1/7 twist, mid-length gas system but am having a hard time differentiating some of the choices any further. So here are some questions:

1. Some barrels (like the M10M) say they're based off the M10 multirole barrel. What does this mean? should I stay away from these?

2. From what I understand SOCOM and Medcon barrels are pretty much the same and are medium weight barrels and are also the most popular, correct?

3. Also, I was looking at a lightweight 16" barrel. Any tradeoffs besides the weight that I'm going to notice? (This will be mainly a range, recreational, and SHTF gun) I know that thinner barrels lose accuracy with rapid fire.

4. They don't say it on the website but their 16" M4 upper is a CAR gas system since M4 is the designation for the carbine, correct?

5. Their model U-1605 doesn't seem different in any way than the other 16" medcon uppers. Any thoughts on what is different?

Thank you to anyone in advance who can help me shed some light on these questions. I'm looking to buy an upper that will make an awesome accurate all around rifle and am looking to keep it in the CMMG family. Any comments/opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
I decided to stay away from the light weight barrels and went with a med con instead of a govt. I used the guide posted above to help me make up my mind. It really is a great source of info.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm also in the market for a cmmg upper.
I either between a midlength or rifle length gas system myself.

The SOCOM barrel can accept a military greneade launcher attachment.
I'm also trying to figure out the difference between a U-1605 and the medcon barrel.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
I'm also in the market for a cmmg upper.
I either between a midlength or rifle length gas system myself.

The SOCOM barrel can accept a military greneade launcher attachment.
I'm also trying to figure out the difference between a U-1605 and the medcon barrel.

Dosn't the medcon barrel have the ring for the tube also?

·
Registered
133 Posts
5. Their model U-1605 doesn't seem different in any way than the other 16" medcon uppers. Any thoughts on what is different?

Thank you to anyone in advance who can help me shed some light on these questions. I'm looking to buy an upper that will make an awesome accurate all around rifle and am looking to keep it in the CMMG family. Any comments/opinions appreciated.
I ordered the SB-1605 which is the stripped 16" Government profile barrel with mid-length gas port, after the recommendation of the "So you want to buy an AR-15?" article.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys, thanks for all the posts. It's very helpful. I would like to go with a govt profile as well. I guess I missed where it said the U-1605 is the govt profile, but I see it now. Thanks lexus truck. Glad to see so many peeps on the xd site are looking at getting some AR15 goodness!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have read that article "so you want to buy an AR15" like four times in the past month, its incredibly helpful.

Can anybody shed any light on the difference between the M10 multirole barrel and other barrels?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can anybody shed any light on the difference between the M10 multirole barrel and other barrels?
From CMMG's explanation I gathered that the M10 could be had with whatever gas port length desired.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd go for the gov't profile barrel, mid length gas system. The other barrels are heavier than I like (already had one - did not like the balance). The lightweight barrels are OK but heat up fast and are slow to dissipate that heat (just my opinion- I'm not a scientist). I also think guns with those barrels are harder to sell at a later time as most of the market prefers the gov't profile or heavier. I ended up going with 14.5 gov't profile barrel and mid length gas. Good luck!

·
Registered
246 Posts
their website says 6-8 weeks for in stock uppers. I ordered mine last night. that would mean that Jan 20th should be the latest I receive if it is all in stock. Could be longer if you are on the backorder list.

Too bad most maufacturers are probably in the same boat. If you are planning on buying, might as well get your name on the list!

·
Premium Member
9,097 Posts
their website says 6-8 weeks for in stock uppers. I ordered mine last night. that would mean that Jan 20th should be the latest I receive if it is all in stock. Could be longer if you are on the backorder list.

Too bad most maufacturers are probably in the same boat. If you are planning on buying, might as well get your name on the list!
Yeah Im really pissed right now, cant find a complete upper anywhere. Its annoying as sh!t.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently ordered a complete lower and was charged on my credit card. From your experience does that mean they have in stock and will ship within their 6-8 weeks? I ordered an upper a week before that and have NOT been charged yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts