Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm aware of the 16'' barrel limitation on rifles.
As far as a bullpup is concerned is the actual barrel measured (from where it starts behind the trigger?

Or the overall length of the weapon..
Having a bullpup is pointless if there is 7 inches of barrel sticking out the end of it.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
So I'm aware of the 16'' barrel limitation on rifles.
As far as a bullpup is concerned is the actual barrel measured (from where it starts behind the trigger?

Or the overall length of the weapon..
Having a bullpup is pointless if there is 7 inches of barrel sticking out the end of it.

Thoughts?
My understanding is that it is from the actual reciever. Here is my bullpup style .22 and I do not have 7" of barrel sticking out maybe 2"..

·
Registered
992 Posts
Barrel length is measured from the end of the muzzle all the way down to the bolt face. Apparently ATF's method of choice is to use a wooden dowel or cleaning rod and drop it in the muzzle. If the barrel in question has a removable muzzle device, that device does not count towards the legal length.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
What is the required overall length of a rifle? I think bullpups are generally pretty ugly, but it would be an easy and inexpensive/legal way of having a small rifle, right? (Opposed to going with an actual SBR).

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
16" barrel, 26" overall length.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The main and perhaps only advatnage of the bullpup configuration is that it permits a substantially longer barrel for a given overall length or a much shorter rifle for a given barrel length. The advantage, as I remember, is between 6" and 8" so that's pretty significant.

The two biggest problems with bullpups is the triggers tend to be not so good and changing magazines tend to be a bit more of a problem, particularly for those that have a lot of experience with the conventional configuration.

Still, for CQB weapons I think the bullpup makes a lot of sense.

Brian

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The mag thing is just something you get used to. The trigger IS a problem if the tolerances arn't kept tight. The bigger problem is crosswind powder from the chamber, I've gotten burning powder in my eye, not fun. Bullpups are excellent ideas with a few of them ( FN ) really trying to do something different.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yeah, the mag thing never struck me as a deal breaker and I figured you'd get use to it, but some old timers with years of experience with the conventional configuration may simply never take to it. Kind of like when the F-16 hit the inventory ... the young guys took to it like fish to water but many of the old guys just couldn't buy into the side stick computer control idea.

And I think the trigger has always been the bigger issue and begging for a really good engineer to make a name for himself by putting that to bed.

And yes, the idea is great as it's always nice to have a longer barrel so long as it doesn't make the rifle too long -- the bullpup gives you upwards of 8 inches longer barrel in the same size OAL rifle.

What I'd like to see in a next generation combat rifle is a bullpup with a 16-18 inch barrel firing a larger more powerful cartridge. And, instead of a simple flash hider I'd like to see a four function supressor: sound, flash, recoil and rise. Take about 4-5 inches of the 8 inch advantage and make a supressor that is quieter to make it harder for the BG's to locate you and easier for you to remain in communications with the GG's. Reducing recoil and muzzle rise would permit quicker follow up shots even with the more powerful rifle.

Such a rifle might actually be a couple inches shorter than the M4.

Brian

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Here is my bullpup style .22

Just remember, if you let a Left-hander shoot your gun....The Charging handle will bash them right in the teeth!!!! :shock:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts