Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been researching some rounds lately and I just had to share this round with everyone out there. I just bought a box!

No matter what round you use now I highly suggest you look into Federal's 147Gr HST round for 9mm (or their 230Gr for .45).

The expansion on these rounds is amazing (.78 for 9mm!) and should prove to be very fatal to any BG's out there. Also they are affordable at $25 for 50 (Alot better than $25 for 20 right?).

147gr Federal HST's are the MOST effective 9mm round available. - Glock Talk

Some pics:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I prefer Winchester Rangers in 124 +P or 127 +P+ myself, they can also be had for less than $25 for a box of 50, I've never had one fail to expand well. And they sure look wicked when expanded :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
147 grain HST is the ONLY load i carry for SD in my XD and Sig....

Awesome Round........ive shot couple hundred rounds through each and they are flawless......and yes, the expansion they exhibit is AWESOME

edit: i also have a couple boxes of the 124 grain +P HST that are also flawless performers....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Expansion is all well and fine but don't forget about penetration. HST handles that too. 9mm 147gr. and .45acp 230gr. is the way to go for both.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I would tend to agree with you that the HST may be the best defense round for the money but not all guns will handle the HST. I think everyone should try some different rounds to determine which works best in their gun. Here is another article you may find interesting on bullet performance as seen through the eyes of a medical examiner. Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've been wanting to get rid of the 230gr Hydra Shoks I've had in my 45 Tactical for a long time since they're getting old and are obviously not the best performers (didn't know that when i got them...). I've wanted to go to the 230gr HST's but I seem to recall that they have problems in XD 45's, is that still true? I'd hate to spend all the money on a few boxes of HST's only to find out they don't work well in my XD45.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Actual shootings of bad guys kind of finds the 147grain to be lacking. The 124-127 range seems to be the most promising in 9mm.

ranburr

·
Registered
815 Posts
my xd9sc is loaded with speer gold dots 124 gr +p GDHP and im plenty confident in its abilities to protect myself and my family.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actual shootings of bad guys kind of finds the 147grain to be lacking. The 124-127 range seems to be the most promising in 9mm.

ranburr
Link to this information? I find it hard to believe that a lighter round moving the slightly (100fps) faster can do more damage.

·
Registered
559 Posts
what was the distance fired from the water jugs? Also, does Federal make a HP in .223 or 5.56?

·
Registered
12 Posts
i've shot hundreds of both 147 gr. Rangers and HST's with no issues through my 9mm. i would trust either with my life

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
Link to this information? I find it hard to believe that a lighter round moving the slightly (100fps) faster can do more damage.
It's all about the design ... There is a balance of weight versus velocity versus penetration versus metallurgy of projectile ... For some rounds, because of design, 100 fps can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If you want to know the difference of 100 fps. imagine a rock sitting on your desk, now let someone throw it at you at a velocity of 100 fps. I bet when its moving, it hurts more than when its at rest...lol

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you want to know the difference of 100 fps. imagine a rock sitting on your desk, now let someone throw it at you at a velocity of 100 fps. I bet when its moving, it hurts more than when its at rest...lol
Haha yeah, but when your throwing a pencil at 100fps at me it wont hurt too bad.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts