Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Glow Inc. I have a set of $14 night sights for my XD.

Just took some of the paint and a toothpick and thats it

Here is a pic but its a lil blurry but thats as good as I could get it in the dark .

This is the brightest paint sold on the market.

Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Leave it in a gunsafe for two weeks and then pull it out in the middle of the night & see how it works! I'll stick with my standard radioactive Meps. :wink:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well its not gonna do me a damn bit of good if its my gunsafe . Works great right next to my bed

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Yeah, I have been thinking about this product for a while now. I found it on the web almost a year ago but have been hesitant as no one had any reviews. Thanks for the pics, good job. Did you have any problems with application? DId you seal the paint with anything? According to the website the glow is supposed to last 12 hours if I remember right.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Just keep it with a Surefire, and when you hear a bump in the night, pull the XD and the Surefire under the covers, and perform a "Tactical Recharge"! :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
SLCDave said:
Just keep it with a Surefire, and when you hear a bump in the night, pull the XD and the Surefire under the covers, and perform a "Tactical Recharge"! :lol:
LOL - But I thought my LED SureFire was for recharging my kids' glow-in-the dark-action-figures as they were getting in bed. (I can see SureFire's next advertising campaign is forming here.)

- Mike

·
Registered
245 Posts
Copied from their web site:

Glow in the dark paint is a great way to improve nighttime visibility of rifle and gun sights. As with any weapon addition, we encourage you to educate yourself regarding the performance of the product in different situations. We encourage you to use the information on our website and to analyze the weapon for several days in different lighting conditions so that you know what to expect regardless of the environment.

The only paint that we recommend using on a weapon is Ultra Green Glow in the Dark Paint. It is literally the brightest glow in the dark paint available anywhere. After charging from a bright light source, it will glow reasonable bright for about an hour. It will continue to glow, albeit dimly, for another 6-10 hours.

An officer will typically enter lighted rooms throughout his shift, so the glow product performs well under these conditions.

On the other hand, if your gun is in a dark locked box and you remove it at 2am in the dark, then your sights will not be visible.

Painting Techniques for Guns and Rifles

We suggest a 3 layered painting technique for optimum performance. If your gun or rifle has a clean gloss white paint on the sights, then you can leave it there and move on to the glow layer instructions.

Remove all paint from the site area, clean thoroughly and allow to dry.

Add a base layer of bright white, high gloss paint. I suggest inexpensive nail polish, but any solvent or water based acrylic will work. Allow the paint to dry between every layer.

Add a layer or more of Ultra Green Glow in the Dark Paint.

Coat with a sealer layer of clear solvent-based paint without any UV filtering additives. Once again, I suggest inexpensive clear nail polish. Some people opt for the more advanced clear coat that is manufactured to be resistant to gun cleaning solution.

Properly painted, the glow properties should last over 10 years with nominal degredation.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problems with application and sealed it with clear fingrnail polish.

I let it dry for about and hour then hit it with a large amount of gun scrubber and nothing came off

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Packin Plastic is your gun safe open beside your bed?

Just curious what you do if someone does try to break in your home.

im not trying to push your buttons i appreciate all comments good or bad

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have used vinyl Jig paint from Sportsmans whse and its tough as nails. comes in a bunch of colors and its only 2.79 a bottle. i like mine a bright red front and bright green rear dots

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes indeed my safe is open beside my bed. If for some reason I was scared enough by the 'bump in the night" that maybe I dropped my XD that resides by my head (don't worry, no kids)...its nice to be able to reach a 7.62 or some 000Buck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts