Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at building a 2nd AR. Still very happy with my 18" Ruger MPR, but looking to have a 2nd one around. Want to go shorter, lighter, a bit higher-end. Thinking probably a 14.5" with a`pinned brake.

I see some mixed messages out there about mid-length gas on 14.5" barrels. Sounds like traditionally, carbine length gas was used with 14.5" and that historically, mid-length 14.5"s have been less reliable. But it looks like a lot of folks now feel that with a quality manufacturer, it should be no big deal.

Anyone here who runs a 14.5", did you go mid or carbine, and why? Anyone who runs a 14.5" mid, should I expect to have to fiddle with the buffer spring to get it to run right, or should that be no issue from a good manufacturer? If I go with a mid-length on a 14.5", should I be accepting some risk that it might be ammo sensitive?

Leaning towards going mid due to the slight reduction in felt recoil and less wear and tear on the BCG, but reliability is #1, so if that's going to be a potential issue with a mid, I'm all for carbine. Other benefits I see with carbine is slight weight reduction and likely a bit of cost savings.

FWIW, I'm looking at getting a complete upper and likely assembling the lower, but might end up with a complete lower, not sure yet.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
For muzzle brakes, read this.

Gas tubes

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
From comments from military armorers, M-16 barrel length bolts last a long time. M-4 bolts definitely last a shorter time due to gas pressure.

The buffer weight chart is offered to match gas pressure for rifle reliability for proper BCG function.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have a BCM 14.5 mid-length, one of the very first ones they sold. It is gassed extremely light and barely cycles the action. In my opinion, it is under-gassed. I believe they made the gas port bigger on later barrels.

There is not a lot of barrel left after the gas port on a mig-length 14.5....

I know lots of guys run them, and for a shooter or class carbine, they are great.

Me personally, if it was a defensive carbine, I would definitely buy a carbine length gas 14.5 to get that extra dwell time.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
As with @bubbatime , for as much as I've seen 14.5 middy's run hard and abused, I really can't say anything negative about them.

But there is that part of me that wants the extra dwell time for the 14.5 with the carbine for serious use. 16, I'd go with middy with no reservations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts