Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been curious how, of if there's another way to do this other then by chambering a round from the mag, then popping it out and topping it off.
I'm a gun newb, so I'm sure I'll be posting a lot of common sense stuff here for a bit.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
How I carry all of my CCW weapons. Don't try to load it any other way.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It really is the best option for doing getting your plus one. At first it kind of seems like a hassle, but it takes what... an extra 5 seconds? You get used to it. The only other way I know of is to drop one in the tube and let the slide fly forward, but as everyone will tell you, you're asking for damaged parts doing it that way. Stick with what you've been doing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been too paranoid of messing something up to do that. Considering it looks like the round is kinda grabbed from the top, I don't see how just putting it in the pipe would work.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Exactly. That's how it's designed to work (being stripped from the magazine and loaded into the barrel). By dropping one in the pipe and sending the slide forward can lead to a damaged extractor. It makes sense considering that's not an intended action.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in agreement with what everyone has already said.But,if for some reason you HAVE to load only one round(lost mag etc.),Put it in the chamber & let the slide down gently on it to avoid damaging the extractor.There might also be circumstances where you want chamber a round quietly therefore working the slide slowly.In either case give it a little extra push,press or tap to make sure the gun is in full battery.

The slide is meant to slam forward when chambering a round for reliable feeding,chambering & getting into full battery,but in any other circumstances(including dropping it on an empty chamber),it's probably prudent to let it down controlled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Most handguns are NOT designed to allow loading by dropping a round in the chamber and closing the slide. The most notable exception is the Beretta 92 which was specifically designed to allow loading in that manner.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It really is the best option for doing getting your plus one. At first it kind of seems like a hassle, but it takes what... an extra 5 seconds? You get used to it. The only other way I know of is to drop one in the tube and let the slide fly forward, but as everyone will tell you, you're asking for damaged parts doing it that way. Stick with what you've been doing.
I do it similarly. Except I drop it in the tube and control the slide return. Once the slide has made contact with the rim on the bullet I push the rear of the slide with my thumb and it pops right onto the bullet rim

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do it similarly. Except I drop it in the tube and control the slide return. Once the slide has made contact with the rim on the bullet I push the rear of the slide with my thumb and it pops right onto the bullet rim
I got as far as slowly sliding the slide forward. I met resistance; noticed that the round was not completely chambered and that the slide was not all the way forward and ditched the idea. I suppose there are the rare cases where you'd need to load only one round, but, if I were in that situation, I'd be grabbing the nearest blunt object with which I could bludgeon my attacker.

BTW, I was using dummy rounds when I performed my "test." What a moron I would be if for some reason I set off a round in the house trying to load one at a time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts