Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard talk that the 10 round limit for California is over. Is this true? Does this mean that I can now order 12 round magazines for my XD-40?

If yes, any one know of a place that has them in stock ready to order?

·
Registered
196 Posts
False, CA people are doomed with 10 rounders.

However, if you have XD9, you can use XD40 mag, which will give you 2 more rounds.

·
Registered
107 Posts
9mmPara said:
False, CA people are doomed with 10 rounders.

However, if you have XD9, you can use XD40 mag, which will give you 2 more rounds.
Actually the XD40 mags take 15 9mm rounds in them. Some have fit one or two more. Most people have a problem with the last round not feeding properly. The mag lips will need to be adjusted to use them reliably.

·
Registered
821 Posts
MasonXD40 said:
I've heard talk that the 10 round limit for California is over. Is this true? Does this mean that I can now order 12 round magazines for my XD-40?

If yes, any one know of a place that has them in stock ready to order?
Wrong SB23 is still in place.You can use a 45 gap mags.
they hold 12rds.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Had a conversation with a guy in the Atty General's office today about this question due to a similar thread. Anything over a 10 round mag is a felony, plain and simple. 12020 (a) (2) pc.

I have a better chance of winning the Super Lotto, Mega Lotto and Powerball lotto at the same time than this changing in this state. That was his opinion also.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So this leads me to my next question. I am not one to bend the law, so please cue me in on the legality of this: What if a legal resident of another state buys a high capacity mag, then moves to California? Is it the felony to posses or buy and sell in CA?

·
Registered
821 Posts
MasonXD40 said:
So this leads me to my next question. I am not one to bend the law, so please cue me in on the legality of this: What if a legal resident of another state buys a high capacity mag, then moves to California? Is it the felony to posses or buy and sell in CA?
From http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#5
9. If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?
No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.
(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))
From http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#24
25. I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?
You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.
(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Mason, to show you really commie the state is, read this: A leo must also wait the ten day pick up period unless he/she obtains a letter with dept. letterhead from his/her unit commander authorizing it. Realistically speaking, that generally won't happen because the first question out of the commander's mouth will be, "So Mike, what is so emergent that you can't wait 10 days to obtain your gun?"

I would venture to say, unless your duty weapon is broken and you have decided to buy a different one which is allowed by your dept. (our standard was a 9mm, but you could carry a H&K 45), you won't get one.

So, that means if I walked into a gun store in uniform (on duty) with a gun in my holster and fully authorized to shoot and kill someone if necessary, I wouldn't be able to walk out with my new gun without a letter. Pretty stupid huh.

But, we do have nice weather, the beaches and Disneyland. :roll:

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
As I sit here something is a bit "loopholey", does the CA penal code restrict any ammunition feeding device over 10 rounds or a device that can hold more than 10 rounds then what about stated above using a 10rd 40 mag to put 159mm or a gap mag to put 12 40 in?

You would still be within the letter of the law, the magazine would hold no more than the amount allotted per that caliber.

I wonder what they would get you on if caught using a 10rd 40 mag stuffed with 9mm?

·
Registered
48 Posts
PLAIN AND SIMPLE, IF YOU HAVE A MAGAZINE WITH MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS IN IT THATS ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA.

I wonder what they would get you on if caught using a 10rd 40 mag stuffed with 9mm?
IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS IN THE MAGAZINE, FELONY.
If your lucky you might be able to plea your case to a judge....

If you get a Felony you cant vote, you cant own a firearm, good luck getting a good job for a while......

A lot of people have illegal magazines, they usually dont take these out to the range or shoot with them too regularly. They keep them in their house, locked up in their safe in case SHTF.

However some people have the urge to brag about them, or evin take them to a range. Trust me a Rangemaster is not going to let something illegal take place in his place of business and risk losing his license or a lawsuit.

*SHTF = **** Hits The Fan

As for loopholes, their is a loophole, not for magazines though. Their is a way to obtain a firearm that is NOT on the DOJ approved list...... If you want to know how, Feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
DarkTide said:
PLAIN AND SIMPLE, IF YOU HAVE A MAGAZINE WITH MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS IN IT THATS ILLEGAL IN CALIFORNIA.
Not true.If you owned a standard capacity magazine
before 1-1-2000 it is perfectly legal to use,own,etc.
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#5
I have been to several ranges and never had anyone
including LEO ever ask me about my magazines or my
what ©aliban officials have labeled as"assault weapons".
I have copies of my AW registration paperwork in all my
cases and a spare in my wallet.
9.If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?
No.Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.
(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
DarkTide said:

IF YOU HAVE MORE THAN 10 ROUNDS IN THE MAGAZINE, FELONY.
If your lucky you might be able to plea your case to a judge....

If you get a Felony you cant vote, you cant own a firearm, good luck getting a good job for a while......

A lot of people have illegal magazines, they usually dont take these out to the range or shoot with them too regularly. They keep them in their house, locked up in their safe in case SHTF.

However some people have the urge to brag about them, or evin take them to a range. Trust me a Rangemaster is not going to let something illegal take place in his place of business and risk losing his license or a lawsuit.

*SHTF = **** Hits The Fan

As for loopholes, their is a loophole, not for magazines though. Their is a way to obtain a firearm that is NOT on the DOJ approved list...... If you want to know how, Feel free to PM me.
If this "way" is legal...why would they need to PM you?

·
Registered
821 Posts
ranburr said:
I have a silly question; if you don't register your guns, how is anybody going to know what you have?

ranburr
Good point.However if you are caught with an
unregistered weapon you may be well on the
way to being bubba`s new boyfriend.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I asked some of the DOJ people about one magazine caliber being able to hold more in one caliber than another (like the 9mm vs 40 example). If you have 15 9mm rounds LOADED in the 40 mag and you have the XD-9....It's a no-no. If the 40 mag is EMPTY its ok.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
And as I said earlier, the odds of this ban ever changing in this land of sunshine is slimmer than if I won all of the lotteries at the same time. I mean, look at the gun ban just passed in Frisco.

I probably will never leave Ca. since 99% of my family (all of my kids) live here and that's important to me; but if the state itself outlawed firearms (I don't see that happening), I'd move. My family would have to visit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DarkTide said:
No offense meant by this....but you are spreading incorrect information. What you are saying is not the truth or the law. Read the DOJ website....they make it clear that any large capacity magazines are legal to own and use as long as they were owned and already in CA prior to the ban. They may not be sold, bought. or loaned though. And they may not be brought into CA by anyone moving here even if they were owned prior to the ban (there are some exceptions to this, such as military personnel that restationed into CA, etc.)

Guys...you all need to go to the DOJ website and read this stuff and don't take my word for any of it either.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I apologize for being incomplete in my first post. As Whitesmoke and one other said, if you owned the larger capacity mags prior to the ban you are ok and that is per the Atty. General's office.

That is why when I retired over 2yrs ago, my dept. gave me 2 of the 3 15 round mags for my beretta 92f, which I bought. I had "possessed" them since 1990, when the guns were first issued.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts