Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from the range and I was shooting WWB 115g and WWB 147g and could not tell a differance in recoil. Is there suppose to be? Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is because the velocity of the 147 gr load is subsonic, or essentially so. Recoil is proportionate to the momentum of the cartridge. I am not a competitive shooter, but I believe in competitive categories...there is a minimum power factor that is required which is the velocity of the bullet fired from a 4 inch barrel times the weight of the bullet (in grains, I believe).

Reloaders have noted that a heavier bullet fired with a rapid powder (like Bullseye, or plain Clays) has mild recoil properties....But....You cannot develop rapid velocities with this type of load an it's just another way of saying that a slower moving bullet often seems to have a milder recoil than you' expect.

Also, if you have a full size, metal framed handgun, the recoil will appear milder than with a composite framed handgun, or one of those Titanium hideout guns....

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks....

I was cleaning my gun and started wondering what a guy would have to do to make it fully auto...im just wondering how to... Im not wanting to do it. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I was cleaning my gun and started wondering what a guy would have to do to make it fully auto...im just wondering how to... Im not wanting to do it. Thanks.
Do a full disassembly, identify each of the parts, figure out what every one of them does... shouldn't be too hard to figure out what you would have to do. :)

(I don't think anyone will directly answer you because it might be a bad idea on a public forum.)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Darn,

I've been trying to make my S&W 686 ful auto for years.... Can't seem to figure it out.

Life sucks :cry:

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
mullanman said:
Darn,

I've been trying to make my S&W 686 ful auto for years.... Can't seem to figure it out.

Life sucks :cry:
Wire the trigger back and fan the hell outta the hammer. Fullauto. OH! And file the serrations off the hammer so you don't hurt yourself.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
DMC,

It's generally a bad idea to ask questions like that on a public internet forum. Kind of like asking how to build a bomb like that McVeigh guy did or what the best way to poison your town's water supply. Even if you don't intend to do it, you're asking for information to be posted on how to create something it is now illegal to create in the U.S. Even if you do not intend to do it, someone else may want to, and find out how to from someone's posted response. Next thing you know, there's an outhouse door in Virginia somewhere getting kicked in by Agent Schmuckatelli, and a naked guy with a t-shirt turban on his head gets hauled away for supplying the plans for a full-auto handgun on the internet.

There are some questions best left either unasked, or solved by yourself. It's up to you to decide if the question really needs an answer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well the way I understand it is that its not illegal to have the info or share it with others. Heck they sell books that tell you how to make fully auto guns. You can find how to make a bomb on the internet. The person who actually goes though with it is the one doing something illegal.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
dmcblaster said:
Well the way I understand it is that its not illegal to have the info or share it with others. Heck they sell books that tell you how to make fully auto guns. You can find how to make a bomb on the internet. The person who actually goes though with it is the one doing something illegal.
On the other hand, I don't necessarily want other people knowing what I know how to do, if I know how to do it; which I don't, do I? Understand? :roll:

·
Registered
176 Posts
"...could not tell a differance in recoil. Is there suppose to be?"

It's usually to do with a minimum required "power factor" in IDPA or IPSC. The formula is simply bullet weight x velocity so less velocity is required with a heavier bullet.
A 147 bullet at 125 PF will feel softer than a 124 gr. bullet at 125. Obviously some powders shoot softer whether you use a heavier bullet or not.

FWIW, own 147 plated reloads shoot noticably softer than the 124 bullets also use with the same powder in the same pistol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts