Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Even still XDs screws me up with thinking plural. Ya, a 10mm XDs doesnt exist because there is no point. Why stuff a hot round in a nuetered gun? An XDs 40 would be the end of reason. With such limited capacity... You would be better off running a snub nose 357. At least there is plenty of those and same capacity.

Mr. Powerman your going to have to help me out here, I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

First, what is the correlation between the power of the cartridge and the magazine capacity? What i get from your post is that since the mag capacity is 6 rounds to stay with a 40 instead of a more powerful cartridge, 6 rounds of 10mm wouldn't be any better.

Secondly, your math does not add up. A 6 round mag + 1 in the chamber is more than your standard 6 shot snub nose 357, then comes the available 7 round magazine with 1 in the chamber.

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck I just don't understand your logic, Thanks and Have a nice day.

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
Mr. Powerman your going to have to help me out here, I do not understand the point you are trying to make.

First, what is the correlation between the power of the cartridge and the magazine capacity? What i get from your post is that since the mag capacity is 6 rounds to stay with a 40 instead of a more powerful cartridge, 6 rounds of 10mm wouldn't be any better.

Secondly, your math does not add up. A 6 round mag + 1 in the chamber is more than your standard 6 shot snub nose 357, then comes the available 7 round magazine with 1 in the chamber.

I'm not trying to be a smart-aleck I just don't understand your logic, Thanks and Have a nice day.
Well... 6 or 7 is pretty much the same. 6+1 isn't a double stack.

All shelf 10mm is down loaded to 40 S&W. So, unless you reload, or get hot from Underwood/DT/BB... Or Sig, then your 10mm is nothing more than a longer large frame 40 S&W.

A hot cartridge in a short barreled light weight platform is a problem. Even for revolvers. More flash and blast, neutered velocity in short barrel. A 4" XDs isnt as bad, but you are still left with a crappy grip and light weight.

Recoil matters. Getting shots on target matters. Capacity matters. A big hot round in a mouse gun platform effects all negatively. In such a limited platform... The clear winner, simply by numbers, is a smaller cartrige with less recoil and more rounds not so effected by short barrel.

Be that as it may, snub nose 357 has a long established following. There are many to choose from readily available. Ammo too. And hot 10mm is equivalent to hot 357.

Thats why. If you really want a 10mm, get a double stack full size or 1911. If you must get a pocket pistol, go with availability and proven track record. Use the proper cartridge in the proper platform.

Reactions: corneileous

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
People rag 40
And praise 10mm
We all know the basic similarities.

Just get one of these
3.3 in double stack 13+1
40SW.

Ammo is easily acquired even now
Practice and manage recoil and you CAN get shots off quickly and accurately.
6in plate 15 yds.
2nd mag fired day I bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
People rag 40
And praise 10mm
We all know the basic similarities.

Just get one of these
3.3 in double stack 13+1
40SW.

Ammo is easily acquired even now
Practice and manage recoil and you CAN get shots off quickly and accurately.
6in plate 15 yds.
2nd mag fired day I bought it.

I have the 3.6 and 4.0 for EDC using a 15 round spare mag and a 357 Sig Barrel for the 3.6

·
Registered
EDC Springfield XDE 45. Beretta PX4 40 and 45, Compact 9mm. Sig P-220 10mm, NAA 22-mag revolver.
212 Posts
Or you could just shoot 45 Super in your XDs45.
Is the XDS 45, XDE 45 able to handle a 45 Super? According to this....

.... it’s not recommended in handguns that’s made specifically for 45 ACP.

·
Registered
EDC Springfield XDE 45. Beretta PX4 40 and 45, Compact 9mm. Sig P-220 10mm, NAA 22-mag revolver.
212 Posts
Well... 6 or 7 is pretty much the same. 6+1 isn't a double stack.

All shelf 10mm is down loaded to 40 S&W. So, unless you reload, or get hot from Underwood/DT/BB... Or Sig, then your 10mm is nothing more than a longer large frame 40 S&W.

A hot cartridge in a short barreled light weight platform is a problem. Even for revolvers. More flash and blast, neutered velocity in short barrel. A 4" XDs isnt as bad, but you are still left with a crappy grip and light weight.

Recoil matters. Getting shots on target matters. Capacity matters. A big hot round in a mouse gun platform effects all negatively. In such a limited platform... The clear winner, simply by numbers, is a smaller cartrige with less recoil and more rounds not so effected by short barrel.

Be that as it may, snub nose 357 has a long established following. There are many to choose from readily available. Ammo too. And hot 10mm is equivalent to hot 357.

Thats why. If you really want a 10mm, get a double stack full size or 1911. If you must get a pocket pistol, go with availability and proven track record. Use the proper cartridge in the proper platform.
I agree with a lot of this. I love the 10 mm too as much as the next guy but I don’t think I would want a full-power 10 mm in a compact and like you said, even if you had a compact 10 mm and you used pretty much any of the well-known 10 mm defense rounds, they’re going to be watered down to where pretty much all you have basically is a 40 Smith and Wesson in a longer casing.

Hell, even though I bought some of the full-power 10 mm V-crown Sig HP’s for my Sig P220 Elite with a 5 inch barrel, if it was loaded with that ammunition, it wouldn’t be the first gun I went to in a home defense situation because even though they’re hollow points and even though they are being fired out of a 5 inch barrel, they’re probably not gonna do the right kind of damage as any of my other hand guns would do because I was explained to a long time ago the reason why your federal HST’s and Speer gold dots to name a couple in 10 mm self defense rounds have their power reduced is so that you get the proper expansion and penetration for it to be effective because full power on that round is not always the best way.

·
Registered
29,750 Posts

That’s really not accurate.

Most handguns chambered in .45ACP can handle .45 Super, normally, with minimal upgrades (recoil/firing pin spring, and often a magazine spring).

There’s few pistols factory rated for it, though; the HK USP being the only one I can think of offhand—possibly the HK45.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

The manufacturer would say NO. I put 5 rds through my XDs, not pleasant. The gun seemed to handle it ok, surprisingly ran all five with no issues. That said I think a steady diet of it would shorten the life of a subcompact like the XDs quite a bit. I have fired a fair amount of it through my XD45 tactical with a 20lb recoil spring and wolff extra power mag spring. It seems to handle it fine and isn't to bad to shoot. Comparable to my XDm 10 with full house reloads. I really don't see the point of 10mm/45 super level rounds in a sub compact like the XDs. It's hard to control for fast follow up shots and really won't perform any better than a good reliable SD load in 45 acp.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is a no go for all the reasons already mentioned. Personally even if possible, I'd have no interest in shooting full power 10mm in a XDs pistol. I have a Xdm 10mm with a 5.3 barrel. When I shoot my 200gr handloads it's pretty snappy. I mean it's not bad, but shooting that in my xds 45 seems impractical lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
This is a no go for all the reasons already mentioned. Personally even if possible, I'd have no interest in shooting full power 10mm in a XDs pistol. I have a Xdm 10mm with a 5.3 barrel. When I shoot my 200gr handloads it's pretty snappy. I mean it's not bad, but shooting that in my xds 45 seems impractical lol
I appreciate your opinion and that your not trying to talk down to me. My Question to you would be what is the size difference between a Glock 29 and a XDs? I have not seen any negative post about shooting 10mm out of a G29. Personally I have been shooting a 10mm Colt Delta Elite sense the early 90's and many compact 45's including a XDs 45. I don't see the problem shooting 10mm out that size handgun if the handgun is capable of with standing the pressures and energy. After all, we are not talking about a competition target pistol shooting 100's rounds a week out of. Then there are people who are not as recoil sensitive as some of the people I have been hearing from.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Glock 29 is a double stack so it has a thicker larger grip then a xds does. Think m&p shield vs m&p sub compact. Shooting. 40 in a shield is much more snappier then shooting it in a subcompact. Wasn't knocking it I was just saying I doubt there is much chance of a 10mm XDs. I don't think many would be interested. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really recoil sensitive. I load most all my 10mm because most off the shelf stuff is just. 40 or close to it.. Just in a subcompact carry gun for self defense you don't really want to have to adjust your grip after every shot. Shooting real 10mm loads in a small single stack would be a lot to hold on to and get back on target for most.

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
Glock 29 is a double stack so it has a thicker larger grip then a xds does. Think m&p shield vs m&p sub compact. Shooting. 40 in a shield is much more snappier then shooting it in a subcompact. Wasn't knocking it I was just saying I doubt there is much chance of a 10mm XDs. I don't think many would be interested. Don't get me wrong, I'm not really recoil sensitive. I load most all my 10mm because most off the shelf stuff is just. 40 or close to it.. Just in a subcompact carry gun for self defense you don't really want to have to adjust your grip after every shot. Shooting real 10mm loads in a small single stack would be a lot to hold on to and get back on target for most.
Its a lot to hold onto for ALL. Just bevause some are better at controlling it, does not mean it is more controllable. Energy and size do not change. Its a plain fact more energy with less grip and weight equals less controllable.

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
I appreciate your opinion and that your not trying to talk down to me. My Question to you would be what is the size difference between a Glock 29 and a XDs? I have not seen any negative post about shooting 10mm out of a G29. Personally I have been shooting a 10mm Colt Delta Elite sense the early 90's and many compact 45's including a XDs 45. I don't see the problem shooting 10mm out that size handgun if the handgun is capable of with standing the pressures and energy. After all, we are not talking about a competition target pistol shooting 100's rounds a week out of. Then there are people who are not as recoil sensitive as some of the people I have been hearing from.
Has nothing to do with being recoil "sensitive". There is more recoil. Fact.

What is it you think you are gaining? There is no ballistic advantage. For what ever weight and velocity out of a shorter barrel, there are plenty of others that equal it. And you are not getting any significant increase in either that is goung to turn your XDs into a killer death ray. Anything that comes out is going to remain well within normal handgun round ballistics. There is no significant advantage to make up for stated disadvantages. What am i missing?

Reactions: justashooter2a

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Has nothing to do with being recoil "sensitive". There is more recoil. Fact.

What is it you think you are gaining? There is no ballistic advantage. For what ever weight and velocity out of a shorter barrel, there are plenty of others that equal it. And you are not getting any significant increase in either that is goung to turn your XDs into a killer death ray. Anything that comes out is going to remain well within normal handgun round ballistics. There is no significant advantage to make up for stated disadvantages. What am i missing?

Sense you asked, I think what your missing is that I never asked if I should convert a XDs to 10mm or what other calibers or handguns people thought was better. My original questions were;
1. if any XDs owners have made the conversion. 2. if anyone knew if Springfield would be offering that cartridge in a XDs.

New to this group and this is probably a old topic. Has anyone converted a XDs 45 or XDs 40 to 10mm? If so please provide info. Also has Springfield indicated that there is any chance they will be offering a XDs in 10mm? Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
29,750 Posts
You really need to acquaint yourself with a G29 and see how massive of a “compact” it is—it’s a LOT bigger than the SUBcompact XDs—think difference between a ParaOrdnance P13 (Widebody Commander-length 1911) and a Colt Defender 1911.

Think about this for a second: not a single major 1911 manufacturer—not Colt, not Springfield, not Kimber...or Wilson, Nighthawk, Baer...Rock Island...Dan Wesson...STI...none of them make an Officer's Model sized 1911 in 10mm, in the close to 35 years the caliber has been around. It's not like it would be technically difficult to make, really (perhaps difficult to get it to function, but making all the parts and fitting it together is straightforward enough)...but not a single one of them has done it.

Do you think there just might be a good reason for it?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sense you asked, I think what your missing is that I never asked if I should convert a XDs to 10mm or what other calibers or handguns people thought was better. My original questions were;
1. if any XDs owners have made the conversion. 2. if anyone knew if Springfield would be offering that cartridge in a XDs.
1. No. Not to my knowledge.
2. No. Considering SA is streamlining their entire line up of carry guns to 9mm. They discontinued the 45 models, I highly doubt they’ll bring and XDs to market in a niche caliber like the 10mm. Probably even less chance than an XDm in 10mm. Right @Cuda66 ?😉

·
Registered
170 Posts
Fun to read the entire thread. OP is on a bender to get some kind of point across.

Ranges rent guns. Go find the smallest semi auto u can rent in 10mm. Run your preferred round through it, if they let u, if ya like it, buy that gun. Who cares what SA may, or may not be, planning for the future.

If ya want to shoot 10mm out of a small gun, God bless ya, have at it.

·
Super Moderator
16,615 Posts
Yes, and then you went on with your desire ro shove a 10mm into a sub compact... Then others commented and here we are. So, back to rhe question... What is it you think you are gaining from such a set up other hand guns don't already deliver?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts