Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this group and this is probably a old topic. Has anyone converted a XDs 45 or XDs 40 to 10mm? If so please provide info. Also has springfield indicated that there is any chance they will be offering a XDs in 10mm? Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Google machine provides some results.
Thanks for your reply, Yes most of us know how to use google. Most of what I have found on google searches are old discussions prior to the 40 version being offered or are related to the XDM not the XDS. Im hoping somebody has done this more recently on a XDs and preferably
to a XDs 2

·
Registered
170 Posts
U said 45 too. And, didn't seem to think it important to mention any research had already been done....just handing out assignments.

Good couple first posts.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I have XD40's converted to 357 Sig, but even if you could find a 10 MM conversion barrel, I think the required 10 MM magazines would not fit a 9MM/40 S&W magwell.

I realize with my Glock 29 that I can use my 10 MM mags to feed 40 S&W to my 10 MM barrel or my 40 S&W conversion barrel, but I cannot use a 40 magazine to feed them as it does not fit well in the 29's magwell.

I really prefer my XDM10 5.25 out of the five 10 MM's I have My wife does too so maybe I need a second 5.25

No easy way to convert a forty to a ten

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have XD40's converted to 357 Sig, but even if you could find a 10 MM conversion barrel, I think the required 10 MM magazines would not fit a 9MM/40 S&W magwell.

I realize with my Glock 29 that I can use my 10 MM mags to feed 40 S&W to my 10 MM barrel or my 40 S&W conversion barrel, but I cannot use a 40 magazine to feed them as it does not fit well in the 29's magwell.

I really prefer my XDM10 5.25 out of the five 10 MM's I have My wife does too so maybe I need a second 5.25

No easy way to convert a forty to a ten

Pandaz3 thank you for your reply, you offer some great information that I had not thought of. From what I gather the XDs 40 S&W would be a no-go due to the magazine limitations. Next you mention the XDM10, and I am curious if the magazine from a XDM10 will work in the magwell of XDs 45? If so that would be a place to start. With a custom barrel and some extractor work it may be possible convert a XDs 45 to 10mm. I believe in a Glock the full size mags will work with a subcompact and compact of the same caliber, I know Glock is a different animal but its the same concept.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Pandaz3 thank you for your reply, you offer some great information that I had not thought of. From what I gather the XDs 40 S&W would be a no-go due to the magazine limitations. Next you mention the XDM10, and I am curious if the magazine from a XDM10 will work in the magwell of XDs 45? If so that would be a place to start. With a custom barrel and some extractor work it may be possible convert a XDs 45 to 10mm. I believe in a Glock the full size mags will work with a subcompact and compact of the same caliber, I know Glock is a different animal but its the same concept.
I do have a XD45 SC Mod 2, somewhere .. I'll try to mate them up tomorrow, can't access both right now.

Reactions: TheRoscoe

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
No, a XDM mag will not work in a XDS. Next time you are in a well-stocked gun store, take a look at one of each and see why not.

No, you won’t be able to convert a .40 XDS to 10mm due to to COAL, as mentioned earlier. A highly modified .45 might be possible by tweaking the magazine feed lips, a custom barrel (if you can find someone to make one) and modifying the ejector and extractor...

The question is why? As mentioned earlier, you could run .45 Super in the XDS .45 and get more horsepower than 10mm dreams of with, at most, a swapping of recoil and magazine springs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, a XDM mag will not work in a XDS. Next time you are in a well-stocked gun store, take a look at one of each and see why not.

No, you won’t be able to convert a .40 XDS to 10mm due to to COAL, as mentioned earlier. A highly modified .45 might be possible by tweaking the magazine feed lips, a custom barrel (if you can find someone to make one) and modifying the ejector and extractor...

The question is why? As mentioned earlier, you could run .45 Super in the XDS .45 and get more horsepower than 10mm dreams of with, at most, a swapping of recoil and magazine springs.

The answer to your question is simple, because I don't want a 45 super and I never mentioned that cartridge in my initial post nor did I ask for suggestions for other cartridges

I asked specifically about 10mm because I like that cartridge and i want a springfield compact instead of being stuck with buying a glock 29.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
The answer to your question is simple, because I don't want a 45 super and I never mentioned that cartridge in my initial post nor did I ask for suggestions for other cartridges

I asked specifically about 10mm because I like that cartridge and i want a springfield compact instead of being stuck with buying a glock 29.

Have a good day.
Well, then, look to the Rolling Stones for your answer:

You can’t always get what you want.

As for bringing up .45 Super, it was a fairly logical assumption that you were unaware of it, since you were asking about using a doublestack magazine (XDm) in a single stack pistol (XDs). Just pointing out options you may not have considered. Didn’t know that the 10mm was the only cartridge you could consider.

By the bye...compact 10mm's are rare birds. The G29 is, afaik, the only one that's in major production; Tanfoglio may still make a compact Witness, but that’s a DA/SA, hammer-fired platform; RIA makes a Commander length 10mm 1911 in both single and double stacks, but those are few and far between. So, you may need to adjust your expectations.

·
Super Moderator
16,592 Posts
Even still XDs screws me up with thinking plural. Ya, a 10mm XDs doesnt exist because there is no point. Why stuff a hot round in a nuetered gun? An XDs 40 would be the end of reason. With such limited capacity... You would be better off running a snub nose 357. At least there is plenty of those and same capacity.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, then, look to the Rolling Stones for your answer:

You can’t always get what you want.

As for bringing up .45 Super, it was a fairly logical assumption that you were unaware of it, since you were asking about using a doublestack magazine (XDm) in a single stack pistol (XDs). Just pointing out options you may not have considered. Didn’t know that the 10mm was the only cartridge you could consider.

By the bye...compact 10mm's are rare birds. The G29 is, afaik, the only one that's in major production; Tanfoglio may still make a compact Witness, but that’s a DA/SA, hammer-fired platform; RIA makes a Commander length 10mm 1911 in both single and double stacks, but those are few and far between. So, you may need to adjust your expectations.

The G29, at this time, seems to be the only option available but who knows Springfield may make something to compete with it. I've seen posts that were made years before when people where hoping for XDs in 40 S&W. And you are correct, I was not aware that the XDM uses double stack magazines. Have a nice day.

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Okay, as others have mentioned the 10 MM XDM Mag does fit and lock in a XD45 SC Mod 2. So to do your project you would need a 3.3" 10 MM conversion barrel. I would take a 10 MM Mag body and carefully measure how much of the bottom of the body leaving enough the bottom sides to make the base plate retaining ears, That might be easier then trying to reform the top.

The XD45 SC has a 3.3" barrel and slide opposed to the XD9 and XD40 SC having 3.0" slides and barrels. I do not know why, I just know it is also the extended mags for the 40 hold 12 round and the 45 is 13, if you were to make a longer mag and use the 45's extended sleeve,

I like shooting my XD45 SC, I got away from carrying it when I broke my wrist. I should try it again, but not till I get back to shooting.

Reactions: TheRoscoe
1 - 20 of 41 Posts