Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up a Glock 20 recently, what would be a good ammo load for a compromise between carrying my new pistol in the mountains (there are cougars maybe a black bear) and in the city for self defense... carrying this beast is easy in a maxpedition jumbo pack :razz:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Carry anything that is lead cast (not solid lead). It will punch through a lot harder than FMJ's. Do NOT but FMJ or JHP's.

Try CorBon or Buffalo Bore. My friend who owns the gun shop carries the CorBon cast when he goes to Africa.

Read the energy on the box though, a lot of 10mm manufacturers are making the cartridge with the same power as their .40. That is the reason I'm selling mine since I don't reload

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Short answer? None.

For bear, you want a deep-driving, solid bullet--not a JHP--that will penetrate the dense fat layers and get to vitals...which is just the type of round that will be dangerously overpenetrative in other situations.

For in town, the 175gr Winchester Silvertip is usually the preferred load of choice.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Cougars are easy to kill. Your chances of being attacked by a black bear are somewhere between zero and infinitesimal, but probably a lot closer to zero.

Hollow points for two-legged predators.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I get all my 10mm from a buddy who is an ammunition manufacturer. Let me know if you want his contact info.

He's manufactured 200 grain hunting bullets for me as well as some 180 grain FMJ and JHP.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Do NOT carry hollow points for big game, especially bears!!! You'll just piss it off, seriously

I'm sure everyone has heard someone getting struck by lightning or winning the lottery. Bear attacks may not happen often, but so do citizens needing a handgun while out in public. You carry in public for protection against people, why not a bear/big cat, etc....

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
+1

Check out the 135 gr. if you want to turn heads at the range. It's supposedly pretty good for SD too.

I carry the 200 gr HP's in the woods. Worst threat around here is black bear.
Why would you "want to turn heads at the range?" That sounds pretty pubescent, to me!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Why would you "want to turn heads at the range?" That sounds pretty pubescent, to me!:rolleyes:
Some guys just have to overcompensate for certain reasons "issues" they have about themselves. :p

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I never said that's what I use it for, that would be a complete waste of money. The head turning is a side effect of it being REALLY FRICKEN' LOUD. Guess you've never shot one. Grow a pair, go rent one, and you'll 'hear' what I'm talking about. When I shot a box of the 135's, a few people came over to check out what I was shooting. Not my fault, I was just shooting my Glock.

But anyway, yes, if you wanted to act "pubescent" and make people wonder what you're shooting since you need to compensate for something, the 10mm is a fantastic platform. :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts