Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the truth about 10mm loads?

Looks like BB and EA are the only ones providing genuine 10mm ammo these days.

Is Buffalo Bore a reliable feeding ammunition? :twisted:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Click on the name at the top then enlarge it from his channel.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
If you are looking for full power 10mm, there are few options in factory ammo. Full power is 200gr @ 1200fps or 180gr @ 1250fps, based on the original Norma loads that I chronographed way back when. Most though they were too hot, cracking early Bren & Delta frames. If you shoot a 10mm, do yourself a favor & handload it. The Winchester 17grSTHP is not quite full power but a respectable factory load. Always take what some of the 10mm fanatics tell you about "full power" ammo. Some of their handloads are ridiculously over pressure & just because their guns have stayed together, Glocks mostly, they think their loads are fine. Caution.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are looking for full power 10mm, there are few options in factory ammo. Full power is 200gr @ 1200fps or 180gr @ 1250fps, based on the original Norma loads that I chronographed way back when. Most though they were too hot, cracking early Bren & Delta frames. If you shoot a 10mm, do yourself a favor & handload it. The Winchester 17grSTHP is not quite full power but a respectable factory load. Always take what some of the 10mm fanatics tell you about "full power" ammo. Some of their handloads are ridiculously over pressure & just because their guns have stayed together, Glocks mostly, they think their loads are fine. Caution.
How much money would I have to sink into reloading, $3-500? I called Doubletapp today and they told me that a $150 chrono is worthless and that the chrono that they use costs $4300 and that one must get all the variables right to have an accurate chrono test. Is this BS? :|

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
How much money would I have to sink into reloading, $3-500? I called Doubletapp today and they told me that a $150 chrono is worthless and that the chrono that they use costs $4300 and that one must get all the variables right to have an accurate chrono test. Is this BS? :|
DOubleTap is so full of **** it's not funny. They have to say that because they get blasted all the time for putting up vel numbers that no one else can seem to get. I have an Oehler chronograph, best made IMO. The cost of the machine has little to do with the accuracy. Even a cheap Chrony will be wthing 10fps of the best chronographs made. How else are they going to expalian to their customers why they are gettign 100fps LESS than published vel?
Having said all that, reloading can be as expensive or cheap as you like. Time is money, so the less time you want to spend reloading, the more money you will have to spend. An avid handgun shooter may go thru 500rds/week, easily done on a cheap Lee Classic Turret press for about $100. Add dies, calipers, good scale & good powder measure, you are a bit over $300. You can run about 150rds/hr easily on the LCT. NExt step up is a LNL or 550B, about $600, 400-450rds/hr. Add the case feeder to the LNL or go 650 & you are looking at about $750 for one caliber, but 650rds/hr is not too diff. Shooting only 500rds of DT/m would cost you $400/m!!!!! SO reloading for the 10mm pays off very quickly, even for a top of the line Dillon 650. You can reload high performance 10mm for easily half that. Just don't go trying to duplicate their published vels, they can't even do that.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Did that, still don't see any way to enlarge it, using firefox.

don
Right click in the video area, and choose ... Watch on YouTube, then expand.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got it! 1356 ave. for a 175 gr. Silvertip ain't bad. Not .41 magnum velocities but getting there.

Based on this Chrono testing it looks like EA and Buffalo Bore are the two options for factory full house loads for 10mm.

I don't know what kind of reliability Buffalo Bore provides and EA is out of stock.. :neutral:

I definitely want to get into reloading but just don't have the money right now, I'm wanting to buy some high power 10mm ammo for Self-Defense only. :twisted:

Any thoughts on Buffalo Bore anyone?

·
Registered
29,735 Posts
Just get some Winchester Silvertips.

175gr @ 1275fps. And, they recoil quite well in most 10mm platforms.

I've fired plenty of full-bore 10mm; all they do is slow down follow-up shots. For a hunting round, they make sense. For self defense, not so much.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Got it! 1356 ave. for a 175 gr. Silvertip ain't bad. Not .41 magnum velocities but getting there.
I think you mean 1256fps? I have never seen that load go higher in any normal bbl length. I am not a fan of the boutique loads like BB or DT. The bullets change often & vel is suspect at best not to mention high cost.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I think you mean 1256fps? I have never seen that load go higher in any normal bbl length. I am not a fan of the boutique loads like BB or DT. The bullets change often & vel is suspect at best not to mention high cost.[/qu
Elite Ammo 175gr. STHP from the stats given at the beginning of this thread. I was commenting on that. I make no claims as to the accuracy of the velocities listed. It's not my thread.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I think you mean 1256fps? I have never seen that load go higher in any normal bbl length. I am not a fan of the boutique loads like BB or DT. The bullets change often & vel is suspect at best not to mention high cost.[/qu
Elite Ammo 175gr. STHP from the stats given at the beginning of this thread. I was commenting on that. I make no claims as to the accuracy of the velocities listed. It's not my thread.
I never trust published vel, only my own chrono testing. Pushing a 175gr STHP that hard is going to leave a mark someplace that you won't like. I can see kissing 1300fps in a 5" gun, & that isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I never trust published vel, only my own chrono testing. Pushing a 175gr STHP that hard is going to leave a mark someplace that you won't like. I can see kissing 1300fps in a 5" gun, & that isn't bad at all.
Once again, I was commenting on the list given in this thread. Obviously loads will perform differently in different guns and published velocities are rarely what you will get from your own gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts