Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would venture a guess and say none of the above. SA is not good at offering conversion barrels for gun calibers they don't make. I can see the appeal of the 10mm, but I don't really see the market for .454 Cassull and I REALLY don't believe the frame could accomodate a .50AE even with a conversion kit....

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
If I had to guess...The most logical after-market conversion for me might be the 400 CORBON. I really like the specs on this Wildcat round.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What about 50 G.I.?

I know there is little chance but I am hoping that round takes off and it would be nice to see it in an XD.

Look at that, I'm offered a great round in a great platform and already I want more.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Warren said:
What about 50 G.I.?

I know there is little chance but I am hoping that round takes off and it would be nice to see it in an XD.

Look at that, I'm offered a great round in a great platform and already I want more.
Hahaha, posted at the same time. Wouldn't that be nice though, a .50 cal XD?

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
With all due respect to everyone, we all sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. How long have we been whining about a .45ACP for the XD? And now that we have it, are we satisfied? No, now we want more, More, MORE!!

We can get greedy later, when the concept of a hi-cap .45ACP XD has worn off, but for now, let's just be thankful.. :wink:

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
Your point is well taken MP, and there is no one here that has waited longer for this gun than me.
However...A little idle musing certainly can do no harm.

Now!...About the 45/70 conversion...

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Damn...they bring out an XD in the caliber we all wanted and all anyone talks about is what OTHER calibers they might be albe to convert this thing into.

...amazing.

- Brickboy240 (keepin it real with the 45ACP)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
MPSoldier said:
With all due respect to everyone, we all sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. How long have we been whining about a .45ACP for the XD? And now that we have it, are we satisfied? No, now we want more, More, MORE!!

We can get greedy later, when the concept of a hi-cap .45ACP XD has worn off, but for now, let's just be thankful.. :wink:
You assume we have it already.

·
Registered
166 Posts
SLCDave said:
MPSoldier said:

You assume we have it already.
Springfield is already taking orders for it. This is not a pipe dream, this is won't MIGHT happen, it IS happening. The XD and the .45ACP got married and their having some BEAUTIFUL children. Hell, I might even send a box of cigars to Springfield.

Yes, we have it already.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Frenchy said:
Your point is well taken MP, and there is no one here that has waited longer for this gun than me.
However...A little idle musing certainly can do no harm.

Now!...About the 45/70 conversion...
:lol:

That would be something!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Actually, my first question to the gun salesperson that first showed me the XD9/40 was..."thats sort of interesting - now, wheres the 45ACP version?"

I, too have been waiting for this since day-one. With three 1911s and a Sig 220, I was not jazzed about 9mms, 40s or the 357Sig.

- Brickboy240

·
Registered
95 Posts
Actually I'm not jazzed about the .45acp.

I own a Springfield 1911 Mil-Spec. and love it, but:

The 1911 and its' round the .45acp was designed to be fired by people on horseback (to shoot Indians). Actually quite a testimony to its' versitility and effectiveness.

On the other hand it IS old technology. Glock has finally packed the same punch into a smaller lighter round.

Will Springfield sell a boat load of these. Sure, in the U.S..

Me, I'm waiting for the 10mm version, now that they have a frame that will handle it.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
repeet said:
The 1911 and its' round the .45acp was designed to be fired by people on horseback (to shoot Indians).
If that wasn't a joke, it should have been, because it made me laugh!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok, so I streached it a bit. On the other hand:

<a href=http://www.sightm1911.com/1911_main.htm>
www.sightm1911.com - It was designed for the Army in an era when the cavalry rode into battle on horses. </a>
----------------------------
<a href=http://www.gunsworld.com/colt/1911_hist_us.html>
By 1907 the board had completed its work and all but the Colt and Savage entries had been eliminated from consideration. A service test of both the Colt and Savage pistols was then authorized with two troops of U.S. Cavalry assigned for this purpose. </a>
----------------------------
<a href=http://armm.planetrainbowsix.gamespy.com/nato3/nato3_manual/secondaries.htm>
By 1910, the Colt prototypes were very close in appearance to their final 1911 form. However, the Colt prototypes from 1907 to 1910 had only a grip-activated safety. Cavalry troopers were concerned as to the difficulty and safety of lowering a cocked hammer while on horseback.

Colt thus began development of a frame-mounted thumb-activated safety which would allow a Cavalry trooper to safely reholster his cocked pistol until such time that he could safely lower the hammer.</a>
----------------------------------
<a href=http://www.sightm1911.com/manual/Untitled-77.htm>
U.S. Army Field Manual FM 23-35</a>

·
Registered
29 Posts
And the .45 acp (and the 1911) are still used today by both conventional and special operations types, law enforcement, casual as well as professional shooters. I'd say that is a testament to its versatility (old technology or not). :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts