Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot about 200+ rounds today of various 9mm brand of ammo from my XD9 today. I'm getting the hang of the gun and really enjoying shooting it. It is a very well made European pistol and I'm loving it so far. I am shooting a bit down and left from the bullseye but I'll work on that. I'm thinking I'll take a lesson or two soon. Then take the concealed handgun class soon.

Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
IMHO just punching holes in paper is not good (200 rds in one session). With no real training it is very easy to develop bad habits that are hard to correct.
Being new, hook up with an older more experienced shooter. Find someone at the range to recommend a trainer. After finding the correct stance and grip, you can then improve with practice. I shot for years with an incorrect grip and accuracy improved 30% after correction.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Did you see or notice a difference with the various ammo? I use the UMC you show pictured because of the cost and haven't really tried anything else since I'm also just punching holes at the range.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Did you see or notice a difference with the various ammo? I use the UMC you show pictured because of the cost and haven't really tried anything else since I'm also just punching holes at the range.

Try the usaammo.com reloaded 9mm. 8.45 per box of 50.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am learning to get a feel for the XD9 since its been a while since shooting any gun.
I thought I would try out some different ammo maker's 9mm 115gr fmj. The XD9 has not had any issues with any of the ammo I've tried in 600+ rounds nor does any of the 115gr fmj brands feel any different when shooting from any other brand. The 124gr has a bit more kick to it. I also shot Winchester 147gr to see what it was like - and it seemed like the 124gr to me.

I am learning and yes, punching holes. I do intend to take a few lessons from the range instructor very soon and also to take the CCL when I feel ready. I intend to be good at shooting.

Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
I intend to be good at shooting.
I would hope so! haha

Do you plan on using the XD as your carry weapon? If so, it may be worth it to start trying out and experimenting with different types of SD ammunition to see what you prefer once you are done punching holes.

Happy shooting!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Try the usaammo.com reloaded 9mm. 8.45 per box of 50.
Wow... thats a good deal ~ thanks for the info. Caught Cabela's $20 rebate with about 10 minutes left before it expired and was able to pick up 600 rounds of the PMC bronze for $129 ~ but thats still around $10 per box/50

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would shoot the heck out of it until you take your class. One thing to note, I would run as much self defense ammo through it to make sure it will function with it before trusting your life to it. And don't get in any hurry. It will take about 2-3 months before you get you license back from Austin.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Might be 109, but what was the humidity? That's the real story as I have "survived" 15 summers in Phoenix, but were bearable until the monsoons showed up bringing humidity into the mix. Not fun shooting, sweating, wiping hands off, brow,etc.. rounds slipping out of slimy fingers,.... repeat as necessary. Don't know how you folks do it East of the Rockies.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Yeah I was shooting high right at first. These was design to shoot a 6 o'clock style aim. Hope that makes sense. But yeah. I adjusted my aim low left a bit and now on target. But that's at 13.5 yards. Anything under 9 yards I'm on point

·
Registered
632 Posts
Until you get those lessons, which is a great idea, check this article out, "How to shoot a handgun accurately" by Massad Ayoob. It gives allot of good basic info on shooting and things you can work at the range to make sure you do not devlop those pesky habits.

Have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts