Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm just about 750 rounds into my new XD-40 that I got just after ThanksGiving. After the initial cleaning and 200 rounds, it ran like clockwork. Rear sight worked its way loose at one point - no threadlock, apparently - and was easily resolved (they were aftermarket XS big-dots).

I'm loving this thing so I take the wife out with the XD and the carbine so she could give them a go. At just about 740 rounds, the little guide rod was sticking out the front. I unload it, try to lock the slide back and it won't. Without the slide locked back, I can't flip the takedown lever all the way up. Yes, I was dpressing the grip safety, yes, I pulled the trigger. Something is FUBAR inside and it won't come apart. On the front of the skinny rod that eventually slipped out, there are threads which look just like something snapped off. I am friggin pissed. I was planning to get a Don's guide rod anyway, but I didn't plan on having he stock one break first. This was going to be my primary defense pistol, but now my confidence is totally shaken. %&%(*$%&^$&!!!!!!

CWB

·
Registered
380 Posts
Uh...yeah...My factory guide rod was bent...it's on its way to ajames today...someone else had one come apart too...there is a weld or press fitting that is a problem on a handful of them.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
i have a feeling this happened to you, kind alike what happend to me!

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
PM ajamesp51, tell him what happened. In fact, tell him the same thing happened to your gun as happened to John in Alabama that he helped. He will be able to talk you through dissasembly. Then your gonna either need to call SA and tell them what happened, and they will make arrangements to ship you a recoil spring assembly for free. I still have my replacement wrapped up in the plastic baggy they shipped it in, because I ordered a Don's Guide Rod and spring from ajamesp51. He has a website too: www.xd-hs2000.com

Good luck and I would highly recommend the Don's guide rod and spring.

Also, try removing the takedown lever from your gun by using a punch ( i used a screw driver) to carefully knock it out from the right hand side of the gun. Also, Ajamesp51 had me remove the big spring by using needlenose plyers to grab the end and twist it out from the front of the gun. Again, if you do this, be careful. I am sure if you aren't, there is a way to mess something up. Oh yeah... make sure your gun is unchambered and not loaded AT ALL. When my recoil spring assembly broke, I had to fire the last round out of it that was stuff to make the gun safe. Kinda sketchy.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Me thinkuth me hasth a thoery...John did you try to "reassemble" the guide rod? You know for the heck of it.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
all the more reason to get don's guide rod :)

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have seen similiar failures at my local range. I have been wondering why this happens. In one case the gun jammed up with the spring refusing to collapse anymore, took work for the range guys to dissasemble the XD-40 in that case. It was a rental gun, but I was there watching the process as I own a XD-9 and am curious. I have been wondering if Don's rod might be a better alternative. I also seen an alternative to Don's rod on the CZ forum in the CZ-40P postings. Sold by MSC Industrial Supply as a industrial machine part. www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PMAKA=85933778 is a linnk to the part in question. It is a 100x5mm nitride ejector rod. Very hard and made with laser measured tollerances. Looks like it just needs a washer like Don's to work. Also would need to get cut down. I understand the material is VERY hard, eats dremel cut off wheels for breakfast. But thought I would inform everyone of the availablity. Cost is [email protected], just add elbow grease and machine tools. :) Will let everyone know if my conversion plans pan out once i get off my but and do it. :)

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
yeah, I tried reassebling the guide rod. Everything will thread back together, but I can't get the one bent spring back on. The welds on the end apparently weren't worth crap and wore through or broke. But it does thread back together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts