Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For Christmas, I got my friend a single stage press with the Lee reloading manual.

Yesterday, he went out, purchased 8 lbs of Accurate 2520, 55g Hornady FMJ .224 bullets, new .223 brass, small rifle primers, and dies.

We met at one of his friends houses. His friend has a single stage press, 9mm dies, primer seater, scale & powder measure.

I brought nothing but my manuals and my ABCs of Reloading and stuff to mount my friend's press to a piece of plywood.

Here's what I learned from last night's experience.

1) Just because someone has reloaded straight wall pistol cartridges, doesn't mean they know how to load tapered wall rifle cartridges.
2) Just because someone owns a scale, doesn't mean they know how to zero it.
3) When I tell my friends to read the instructions on setting the die height because I don't know the answer off the top of my head and they don't, I should make them read the freaking instructions.
4) Even new brass needs sized
5) I should have brought my calipers to check OAL
6) Bullet pullers are a good thing to have.
7) Watch the primers when using a Lee Auto Prime II, sometimes the primer will turn sideways. And yes... you can seat a primer sideways.
8) When trying to setup 3 single stage presses, you need a total of 3 cartridge holders.
9) You can't resize brass after you've primed it without pushing out the primers.
10) Having someone that knows that they are doing with reloading can be a great asset, as long as they don't pretend that they know everything when they actually don't.

When my friend's friend tried to set the bullet seating die, he sat it too deep. It crushed the brass casing. I finally read the instructions that came with the die and set the die correctly.

Out of 100 rounds, 10 were ruined. I wish someone would have listened to me and read the freaking instructions!

Hardwarz

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just because someone has reloaded straight wall pistol cartridges, doesn't mean they know how to load tapered wall rifle cartridges.
quickly found that out for myself...:oops:
Even new brass needs sized
luckily haven't had to trim my once-fired brass yet, at least according to my Lyman case gauge.
Bullet pullers are a good thing to have
yup :cool:
Having someone that knows that they are doing with reloading can be a great asset, as long as they don't pretend that they know everything when they actually don't.
....read the freaking instructions!
Amen to that:p

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
6) Bullet pullers are a good thing to have.
I've learned this lesson myself, after failing to visually inspect the powder charges in 50 complete .45 ACP rounds that are going to be pulled to prevent possible unfortunate outcomes.:idea:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
8 lbs of powder is going to last this guy for the rest of his life:rolleyes:
8 lbs x 7000 grains per lb = 56,000 grains

56,000 grains / 25 grains per .223 round = 2240 rounds.

Not the rest of his life, just 2 shooting sessions. :rolleyes:

Hardwarz

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Actually you can resize brass once you've primed it, just remove the decaper from sizing die if you're sizing straight walled cases.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
8 lbs x 7000 grains per lb = 56,000 grains
45 cal + 5.0 grains bulleseye powder, 56,000 divide by five = 11,200 Rds.
That would last me quite a while...:p:p

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol... yup... that was me...

Hardwarz

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Lots of mistakes made, but there are even more to be had. In reloading, there is no room for guesswork. Never proceed unless you are sure of what you are doing. Eyes and fingers do not grow back!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I crushed the shoulders on 10 rounds of Winchester 7.62x39 before I realized new cases have to have the necks chamfered. I had never reloaded new brass before.:evil:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I crushed the shoulders on 10 rounds of Winchester 7.62x39 before I realized new cases have to have the necks chamfered. I had never reloaded new brass before.:evil:
Uh-Oh....

Hardwarz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts