Springfield XD Forum banner

10 rd mags VS 13 rd mags

12K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  DHusker 
#1 ·
I have XD 45 10 rd mags and I DO NOT have any 13 rounders. The 10rd mags appear to as long as the 13, what limits them to 10rds? Can followers and springs be changed out to make them 13.

I did a search but my forum search-fu is bad.

#4 ·
If you have a full sized grip and the mags are the same length as the 13 rnd mags, then you have the California compliant 10 rnd mags. They were designed to only allow 10 rnds to be loaded. Not sure if it is easy, hard or not possible to make 13 rnd capacity. But a full capacity mag and compare the followers and springs.

EDIT: Just saw the pics of the dimpled mag posted. The only way to modify these to full capacity would be to insert a steel bar and hammer out the dimples. Probably a better option would be to offer your mags for discounted sale price here or on a heavily California populated forum, then buy some 13 rnd mags. You would loose a few bucks but have working, reliable mags and not a mod'ed, maybe it works, mag. I would not cut them out. It would leave major dirt holes near the base of a weak mag.
Sales on any forum usually requires meeting a post count and membership time period minimum.

#8 ·
Go to a gun store in a free state. Buy 13 round mags and pay with cash.
Are you trying to imply doing something illegal on a public forum?
I hope you are smarter than that....plus it doesn't even go with the OP.....

#10 ·
As previously stated, the dimples, or in some cases the mags will have a groove the entire length of the body that wont allow the internals to be switched from a 13 rounder into a 10 rounder. These dimples or grooves limit the access for the spring and other parts to fit from one into another preventing the chance of someone having 13 rounds in a 10 round magazine. other then the grooves, theres really no difference.

#11 ·
I mistakenly ordered a full length 10 round magazine from snipercompany.com thinking it was the compact one. Once I received it, I compared it to my 13 round mags. The full length 10 round mag has a full length groove on both sides of the body.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/135/135131.jpg (13 round)

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/519/519600.jpg (10 round)

Midway was out of stock of the compact 10 round at the time and snipercompany.com did not have the nice pics to compare. Also, as Midway shows Springfields part numbers, the 13 round is XD4545, the full length 10 is XD4510, the compact 10 is XD4501. These match the model numbers on Springfield's site.

All other parts are the same as the 13 round. This groove prevents the .45 cases from fully “double stacking” since the interior of the mag is narrower. The follower is the same as the 13 round, it moves all of the way to the bottom of the mag body. The numbered (to 10) case witness holes on the backside of the 10 round go as far down as the numbered (to 13) witness holes do on the 13 round.

Sorry, no pic of the back side to compare and illustrate this.

I have switched all parts, follower, spring, base plate and internal plate between the 2 mag bodies and they both function fine. The only difference is the mag body.

Dave

#13 ·
What if it is not illegal where he lives?

I advocete eating bacon for breakfasy yet that can get you beheaded in many Muslim countries.
If its not illegal the why would he suggest "going to a free state and paying cash"?

#14 ·
As the banner ad states, SA online store is having 30% off for Father's Day. I picked up a 19 round mag for my XDm 9 for $23.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.