Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and Merry Christmas to all. I have a question about the stock recoil spring on my pistol. I load my 180gr JHP a bit warm 11.0 gr. Blue Dot. Is the stock recoil spring ok to use with hotter loads ? Or should I switch it out for a heavier spring and if so any recommendations. Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
976 Posts
I run a Wolff 22lb in mine. Seems to help tame slide velocity and keep spent brass in my zip code. Still seems to run reliably with lighter loads.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I run a Wolff 22lb in mine. Seems to help tame slide velocity and keep spent brass in my zip code. Still seems to run reliably with lighter loads.
When I got my 22# springs from wolf they are about 3/4” shorter than the factory on my 4.5”. There are more coils and appears to be thicker. It seems as though the slide is harder to rack but am hesitant to try it. I purchased the springs after reading quite a bit on here no one has mentioned shorter springs

·
Registered
976 Posts
When I got my 22# springs from wolf they are about 3/4” shorter than the factory on my 4.5”. There are more coils and appears to be thicker. It seems as though the slide is harder to rack but am hesitant to try it. I purchased the springs after reading quite a bit on here no one has mentioned shorter springs
I did grind the ends of my 22# spring so it looks like the stock one. Look at the stock spring at the very ends of the wire and compare to wolf. The wolf spring just has square cut wire ends whereas the stock spring has wire ends that are ground to a taper so the spring seats perfectly flat on the guide rod. I did this just to help eliminate the chance of the 22# spring from chewing up the rod. Mine works great. I am pretty sure SA sprung the XDm10 so it would run reliably with some of the 10mm (light) factory loads that are out there. I think this leaves it a bit under sprung for full house loads.

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is good info. Saves me from having to start a new thread. I reloaded for my 10mm for the first time the other day and haven't shot any of them yet so I don't know how they'll perform. I loaded 180grn. XTP bullets over 7 grn. of Unique. Maybe not a hot load but it should be a bit more stout than the OTC stuff I've ran through it. I guess I'll find out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is good info. Saves me from having to start a new thread. I reloaded for my 10mm for the first time the other day and haven't shot any of them yet so I don't know how they'll perform. I loaded 180grn. XTP bullets over 7 grn. of Unique. Maybe not a hot load but it should be a bit more stout than the OTC stuff I've ran through it. I guess I'll find out.
You will have to let me know how the unique load works. I haven’t tried any unique yet but it’s my favorite powder. During the last great reloading shortage most all my loads were unique powder and I couldn’t find any so I’m trying to develop loads for my 10 that use other powders. So far I’ve tried 800x, titegroup, longshot, and aa#9. So far aa#9 has been the best giving me 1250 out of my 4.5 xdm using 180 Hornady fmj over 13.5 grains.​

·
Registered
57 Posts
You will have to let me know how the unique load works. I haven’t tried any unique yet but it’s my favorite powder. During the last great reloading shortage most all my loads were unique powder and I couldn’t find any so I’m trying to develop loads for my 10 that use other powders. So far I’ve tried 800x, titegroup, longshot, and aa#9. So far aa#9 has been the best giving me 1250 out of my 4.5 xdm using 180 Hornady fmj over 13.5 grains.​
They shot in the low to mid 1100s over the chrony. Nice and clean too, which is something new to me with Unique. Seems my 10 likes it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They shot in the low to mid 1100s over the chrony. Nice and clean too, which is something new to me with Unique. Seems my 10 likes it.
Damn I knew it would work! Low1100 is still 100+ over federal garbage. I at least have good stock of unique but am still leaning towards the aa#9. My only concern with thss as t stuff is shelf life it’s made to European standard which means it has a shorter life span. I’ve seen a couple powders recalled in my handloader mag and it seems they are western powder. Thanks for the info I’ve always found unique to be pretty clean with the right charge. My standard acp load is 6 grains of unique under any 230 grain projectile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts