Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been playing around with a good hand load for self defense or whatever in my XDME 3.8 and pretty much have it narrowed down to:
180g Gold Dot or Hornady XTP @ 1.260
Fed or Starline Brass
WLP primer
8.2-8.3 grains of Ramshot Silhouette
MAX IS 8.4
This runs right at 1110 and is easy to handle. Have a couple of old turkeys to test them out on yet but they group well, are controllable for follow up shots and don’t show signs of psi. As always use at your own risk.

·
Administrator
17,747 Posts
Those are the two I used... From Underwood. I didn't roll my own. But obviously great bullets. 180gr @ 1250 being true 10mm.... I found their 1300 140gr pretty nice to shoot. I'm not saying but it, just a suggestion. I picked up a few more fps out of an 8" barrel which got it to Tru 357 mag. Have you seen the Federal 10mm HST? They have not released those bullets that I know of... Not 40 cal, made for 10mm... But the point is they went for the middle of 10mm and weak fed 10mm and landed on 180gr 1160. Defi itely took the edge off and was very pleasant to shoot.. Out of 5".

I love 10mm. Great job.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those are the two I used... From Underwood. I didn't roll my own. But obviously great bullets. 180gr @ 1250 being true 10mm.... I found their 1300 140gr pretty nice to shoot. I'm not saying but it, just a suggestion. I picked up a few more fps out of an 8" barrel which got it to Tru 357 mag. Have you seen the Federal 10mm HST? They have not released those bullets that I know of... Not 40 cal, made for 10mm... But the point is they went for the middle of 10mm and weak fed 10mm and landed on 180gr 1160. Defi itely took the edge off and was very pleasant to shoot.. Out of 5".

I love 10mm. Great job.
Are those your actual chrono numbers or from the manufacturer? I’ve always liked the Gold Dots as they have been accurate in everything I’ve used them in and the performance is proven. I have pushed loads faster, but in the XDM 3.8 with the captive recoil spring I don’t like the feel of the slide slamming into the recoil block. It adds to muzzle flip and no sense beating up my gun. Didn’t buy it to break it. There’s around 50-60 fps difference between my 5.25 bbl and the 3.8 and I’ve upped the spring psi in it for the hotter loads. I missed out on a 12” 10 mm barrel for my Encore, now that would have been a hoot!

·
Administrator
17,747 Posts
Are those your actual chrono numbers or from the manufacturer? I’ve always liked the Gold Dots as they have been accurate in everything I’ve used them in and the performance is proven. I have pushed loads faster, but in the XDM 3.8 with the captive recoil spring I don’t like the feel of the slide slamming into the recoil block. It adds to muzzle flip and no sense beating up my gun. Didn’t buy it to break it. There’s around 50-60 fps difference between my 5.25 bbl and the 3.8 and I’ve upped the spring psi in it for the hotter loads. I missed out on a 12” 10 mm barrel for my Encore, now that would have been a hoot!
No, that's all manufacturers info. Yes, no point in beating it up. 10mm is no different than anything... Perfectly reasonable round at spec and it's all good from 40sw to 10mm. Hot 10mm isn't really a good thing in an auto... There is no hot round good in an auto. Too many compromises. Get a revolver. In a 3.8... I don't see anything g wrong with your path. 👍

Reactions: Cuda66

·
Registered
28 Posts
180 XTP/9.5 Longshot = 1277 fps (5 shot average) in my 3.8” GLOCK 29. Absolutely no signs of over pressure and actually quite pleasant to shoot. I mean you know your shooting a true 10mm, but nothing too wild.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
180 XTP/9.5 Longshot = 1277 fps (5 shot average) in my 3.8” GLOCK 29. Absolutely no signs of over pressure and actually quite pleasant to shoot. I mean you know your shooting a true 10mm, but nothing too wild.
You must be using the old Hodgdon info. If you check out the new info they’ve dropped that load 1.3 grains and vel but psi is about the same. :unsure: If yours shoot accurately good good for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts