Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i pick up my new xd 40cal. bi-tone :D and was wondering what is the most popular round of choice for range shooting and home protection any info. would be appreciated. i'm new here so take it easy as i'm sure this question has been asked a million times. thanks

·
Premium Member
3,448 Posts
I am not sure what is available in Cali ... but most use Winchester white box sold by Wally World for practice ammo ...

For home protection, I'll defer to the 40 cal owners.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info. on the practice rounds and the speer golds i will definitely check them out.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You only need to know one thing and one thing only. These pistols from Springfield will chew and spit anything you give it. Don't worry about what other people use, because what YOU feel like using is up to you not them. Their lives don't depend on you and your gun. You do. Trial and Error and use what you want, as some people here have deep enough pockets to purchase any type of ammo, or they have enough quantities of parts to fabricate endless amounts of reloads. You will also find that reloaded ammo can be much cheaper than factory ammo, if you don't have alot of money.

Just goto your local place of ammo, and pick up several different kinds/boxes of ammo. They have different grains and looks. Hope you enjoy your new gun, just remember IT'S NOT A TOY, & NEVER POINT IT AT ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY.

Welcome to the forum, and please be sure you do a search for yourself before starting a thread, if you check the forum, look for a link called "THE AMMO CAN", all questions referring to any ammo questions you have should already be answered there. You will find any questions you might have, may have already been answered.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I think the Winchester White Box (WWB) at Wal Mart is fine for range practice. Far as self defense.....many many options. I personally load up with Speer Gold Dot 165 grain hollow points.

Speer Ammo - Home

A small warning on the 165 Gold dots. Be VERY carefull what part number you get!!!! They have two loads in 165. One is a downloaded load to give less recoil for recoil sensitive shooters a weaker round to carry. Part number 53949 will be a the slower one. Part number 53970 will be the full power load.

Do yourself a favor and check the part number and avoid the 53949 at all costs. If has a very consistant reputation to NOT expand in anything.

Once again avoid part number 53949.

Buy it if its 53970.

I have no clue why they still load it and why they do not put a warning on the box to let the buyer know........

Here is the link with both loads listed..

LE - Gold Dot

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. A 10 day wait period would drive me CRAZY!!!!.......

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Congrats!!!!! I know how it feels to wait that long, I bought my first pistol when I lived in CA in 08'.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Congrats on the new gun! 10 day wait sucks, as well as not being able to buy another pistol within 30 days after your purchase. Welcome to the forum from Northern Cal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the comments, they are really appreciated and i think the best thing to do as far as buying ammo is just trial and error. i also like the comment about this gun being like a fat chick "they eat anything, you feed them" if thats true i should have no issues with the gun.lol. once again thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
thanks for all the comments, they are really appreciated and i think the best thing to do as far as buying ammo is just trial and error. i also like the comment about this gun being like a fat chick "they eat anything, you feed them" if thats true i should have no issues with the gun.lol. once again thanks for all the info.
Your welcome, I should correct my fat chicks statement though. XD/XDm's do very well with ALMOST every ammo, the only one they don't like SWC or Semi Wad Cutters, but those aren't too popular and for me hard to find local anyway. (Flame suit engaged)

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are a ton of YouTube videos comparing ballistics of different ammo. The most impressive I saw was the Winchester RA40TA. It's expansion is impressive and I love the talons that flare out. However the Spear Gold Dots are nice as well. I had a chance to do some testing on the Ranger .40 Talon and it is scary looking after expansion.

Also, sorry about the 10 day wait, that sucks. I had a hard enough time waiting for my gun to ship over night.... Cheers

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the Winchester White Box (WWB) at Wal Mart is fine for range practice. Far as self defense.....many many options. I personally load up with Speer Gold Dot 165 grain hollow points.

Speer Ammo - Home

Congrats, my 7 day waiting period is over on Saturday. Longest week of my life.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Gold dot's, Winchester PDX1's and Ranger T's are popular and with good reason. But, even older designs will perform well. You don't need to break the bank getting the latest and greatest gun magazine touted round. It's more important to run enough to be totally confident it will go bang every time and be very accurate. No bullet design is good enough to compensate for a miss!

·
Registered
447 Posts
My 7 day should be over today. I made the purchase last Monday. So I'll give them till Friday for that fudge factor.

Congrats.

·
Registered
90 Posts
My 7 day should be over today. I made the purchase last Monday. So I'll give them till Friday for that fudge factor.

Congrats.

I'm in MD as well. You may want to call and ask. I had a friend pick his pistol up right on time last week. Doesn't seem to be any delay in the paperwork currently, but of course that can change pretty quickly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts