1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Noveske Upper
DD Barrel with .062" Gas port
AAC Brake

Should be functional by the end of the week, I have a Centurion Arms 9" rail and Gunfighter CH on the way.

The ACOG is only on it for now because its the only spare optic I have. I'll be getting a T1 when the funds rebound.

The beauty of this is that there should be no gas blowback and it will be a smoother shooting setup while suppressed. I'm not sure if it will work or not without the can but that is irrelavent.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I'm not an ACOG fan so I am glad you are replacing it. I'm sure it will be great when it is done. Good job.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Kinda nice having 2 stamp guns, huh?

I have a few myself.

Let me know how the gun cycles with the small gas port. IIRC, Colt gas ports on their 11.5" barrels are around .087'ish due to the reduced dwell time. But the suppressor may make up for some of that.

Never heard of centurian forends. I'll try to check them out.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Looks great!

Was gonna say the same thing about the ACOG since it's a 10.3" it's a little overboard..lol. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Centurian arms...man oh man do I want a MK12 *drools*

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got the rail in today

Next up are Larues index clips, f/r buis's, and a Surefire M300

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Looks good!
I have to agree that the ACOG is a bit much for your build but I'm a fan of ACOG's (I own a TA31F), I'll be glad to take yours if you don't want it... :lol:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some Troys today...its slowly coming together

All thats left is a T1 to swap out with the ACOG and another set of Index clips. The ones on it currently are left overs from my 14.5" Middy, and most of them are the clips for use with a tapeswitch wire.

By the time I get the T1 my Form 1 and 4 should be approved, and
then it'll be put together. At that point I will work out which light to get. This will wear a PVS14 sometimes, so I am debating an M600C with an IR head but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Looks great! I got one question for you though: If it's going to be a dedicated suppressed, what made you decide to go with a quick detach FS? Or is it just sitting on it til you get your suppressor?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks great! I got one question for you though: If it's going to be a dedicated suppressed, what made you decide to go with a quick detach FS? Or is it just sitting on it til you get your suppressor?
Three reasons

1. I have 3 other ARs that I want to be able to mount the suppressor to.

2. A 10.2" barrel creates a hell of a blast inside the baffles of the can. Using a compensator saves the first blast baffle from getting as worn as it normally would without a comp.

3. Thread on cans come lose during rapid fire. Its a fact of life.

I got my PVS14 mounted. The T1 and Surefire M300 are on order but still hasn't shipped from Larue, and I have more index clips on the way. At that point I *think* I will be done.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
Three reasons

1. I have 3 other ARs that I want to be able to mount the suppressor to.

2. A 10.2" barrel creates a hell of a blast inside the baffles of the can. Using a compensator saves the first blast baffle from getting as worn as it normally would without a comp.

3. Thread on cans come lose during rapid fire. Its a fact of life.
The only time I have ever seen a suppressor work loose during firing, were on those old mac's with the HUGE 7/8-9 threads.

But on an AR (or 1/2-28 or even 5/8-24 threading), I can honestly say I have never seen a thread on can work loose if it was put on snug to begine with. Even on my transferable full auto SMG. Matter of fact, when the can and barrel heat up, the threads will swell and be an even tighter joint. I can't count the times I've had to wait 15 or 20 minutes for them too cool off some so I could unscrew the can off of it.

Your #2 reason is a very valid point. But #1 and #3, not so much but as long as you're happy with it that way is all that matters.

Here is seven 36 round magazines totalling 252 rounds of full power 147 gr in under a minute and a half. As you can see, the silencer didn't unscrew and land on anyone's toes, nor any baffle strikes.

·
Banned
98 Posts
if you have smarts enough to drill and tap a hole thru the female thread area, install a plastic ball in the hole, as some of the reloading dies use in their lock ring, and then install the proper setscrew, you will never again have a can come loose, unless you want it to.

I have a scope on the removable carrying handle of my (canned) shorty AR. :) The gun is plenty accurate enough (with match bthp ammo and RRA trigger job parts, free float tube and bipod) to justify the glass. It will reliably hit a man silohuette at 1/4 mile when so equipped. It is not "just a 223 smg", as so many mistakenly believe! :)

·
Premium Member
3,834 Posts
A M1 Rockola .30 cal Carbine with a 12" Winchester barrel with an Elite Iron Supressor and a Fleming M2 conversion kit. Hee hee hee, I LOVE a good plan!

Your suppressed SBR AR should be max cool. Now the question is can we $afford$ to shoot these things like we should be? HB of CJ (old coot) :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I'm not an ACOG fan so I am glad you are replacing it. I'm sure it will be great when it is done. Good job.
Really, do you not like the reticles, the shape of the whole thing or what? Ive never heard anyone say they didnt like ACOG's Just curious, Im not trying to be an a$$ :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts