Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow
I just installed a Volquartsen Bolt Release and Target Hammer
It was easy (of course I took it apart and back together about 3 times). I checked the trigger pull and it was 2.7lbs and it breaks crisp. I can't wait until tomorrow to shoot it.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Wow
I just installed a Volquartsen Bolt Release and Target Hammer
It was easy (of course I took it apart and back together about 3 times). I checked the trigger pull and it was 2.7lbs and it breaks crisp. I can't wait until tomorrow to shoot it.
Love that trigger! The stock trigger was a pain - literally. You're going to like it a lot. About the BHO, all it's really doing is to save the extra step of depressing the bolt hold lever when releasing the bolt. You just rack the bolt from locked position and into battery.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never really saw the point in the bolt hold open mod... I guess I dont ever really lock my bolt open though, is there some reason that you have to do so?
About the BHO, all it's really doing is to save the extra step of depressing the bolt hold lever when releasing the bolt. You just rack the bolt from locked position and into battery.
When shooting some "club" shoots you are required to lock the bolt open until the gun is verified cleared. Then with the BHO you just cock the bolt and it is closed.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
When shooting some "club" shoots you are required to lock the bolt open until the gun is verified cleared. Then with the BHO you just cock the bolt and it is closed.
Ah, I was thinking it must be a tourney requirement... otherwise theres not much of a point, as you dont really have to use the BHO at all.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Ah, I was thinking it must be a tourney requirement... otherwise theres not much of a point, as you dont really have to use the BHO at all.
The BHO is required at my range. Someone walks and checks each rifle during target change. Unlike my 10/22, my AKs don't have BHO and I have to resort to putting a spent case between the bolt and chamber.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The BHO is required at my range. Someone walks and checks each rifle during target change. Unlike my 10/22, my AKs don't have BHO and I have to resort to putting a spent case between the bolt and chamber.
The range I go to doesnt have that requirement, everybody leaves their weapon on the tables during a ceasefire and there is a hot/cold line on the ground behind the tables that you cant cross when the line is cold.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I've had a 10/22 (basic wood carbine) since 1994 and I'm about to do some work to it. I've shot thousands of rounds through it and then didn't shoot it for about 10 years. That was until a few weeks ago. Now, I've got the rimfire bug.

As I type this I'm packaging the bolt for some work - polish, headspace adjustment, pinned firing pin, charging handle slot chamfer, enlarging and squaring the heal radius, polish ejector plunger. And to top it off, I'm having the exposed part jeweled.

I already ordered a Kidd buffer pin.

Next month, I'm sending the trigger group to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their basic job. My trigger is one of the good ones. I'm really only looking to lighten it up. Any extra smoothness will just be icing on the cake.

Have fun with your 10/22. I'm happy that my interest is back in mine. Heck, I thought about selling or trading it for a long time. Glad I didn't.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Congrats on your updated trigger.

I myself just purchased a KIDD single stage trigger. OMG what a dream to shoot. Arguably the best triggers on the market are made by KIDD, I am not one to argue. The KIDD guide rod, spring, and bolt handle upgrade is a must. The factory guiderod feels like dragging metal over sandpaper. The KIDD part makes pulling the bolt/bolt handle silky smooth.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The KIDD guide rod, spring, and bolt handle upgrade is a must. The factory guiderod feels like dragging metal over sandpaper. The KIDD part makes pulling the bolt/bolt handle silky smooth.
You can get the same effect by polishing the bolt, charging rod, and inside the receiver... thats what I did to mine, went from gritty feeling to butter:cool:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
The KIDD guide rod, spring, and bolt handle upgrade is a must. The factory guiderod feels like dragging metal over sandpaper. The KIDD part makes pulling the bolt/bolt handle silky smooth.
I've been pondering this upgrade too. The thing with 10/22 upgrades is that they're not too expensive. But when you start to add it up, you realize you could've probably gotten another new one.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I've been pondering this upgrade too. The thing with 10/22 upgrades is that they're not too expensive. But when you start to add it up, you realize you could've probably gotten another new one.
You can get the same effect by polishing the bolt, charging rod, and inside the receiver... thats what I did to mine, went from gritty feeling to butter:cool:
Polishing the internals yourself is free;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Polishing though wont get you a new bolt handle though. $10 more an you get the guide rod and various springs.

It does all add up, but mods are part of the fun. Yes you could buy another after adding up all the mods. In the end, you still have 2 stock 10/22. What's the fun of that lol

Just find the balance of purchase parts and self modifications

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Polishing though wont get you a new bolt handle though. $10 more an you get the guide rod and various springs.

It does all add up, but mods are part of the fun. Yes you could buy another after adding up all the mods. In the end, you still have 2 stock 10/22. What's the fun of that lol

Just find the balance of purchase parts and self modifications
I have to admit I dropped some $$$ into mine lol, a 90 dollar free floated thumbhole stock from Boyds, a 70 dollar plinking scope, a sling from Ruger, a soft case from Ruger, sling studs, and a VQ bolt buffer:cool: Probably enough to buy another stock 10/22 haha:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
The procedure for locking and releasing the bolt on a 10/22 is a convoluted mess. The guy who designed it should be smacked upside the head. It is the single biggest problem I see on the line as an instructor at Appleseed. I see dozens and dozens and dozens of 10/22s every month.

The auto bolt release mod is the best thing you can do if you shoot your 10/22 a lot or in any kind of formal training or activity. I was going to add the extended mag release is the next best thing but after 49 years of production Ruger finally made that standard.

After 45+ years of shooting I really don't see that the trigger on the 10/22 is that bad. I have 5 of them and all have factory triggers. They all have lots of rounds through them and are pretty smooth overall. Unless I was in competition, a 10/22 trigger is not something I would spend money on. And of course if I was shooting competition, I probably wouldn't be using a 10/22.

But hey, have fun spending money on your 10/22s. They are a lot of fun to play with.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have to admit I dropped some $$$ into mine lol, a 90 dollar free floated thumbhole stock from Boyds, a 70 dollar plinking scope, a sling from Ruger, a soft case from Ruger, sling studs, and a VQ bolt buffer:cool: Probably enough to buy another stock 10/22 haha:mrgreen:

HAHAHA I did too. All in a 3 week period of time. Guess you can say I was slightly obsessed. To me that was the fun of it was researching the parts and then putting it together. The end result was fantastic. I probably could have purchased 1 1/2 new 10/22's, but they surely wont be as fun as the modified one.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Replacing the stock hammer with a 35 dollar drop in Volquartsen hammer unit made a HUGE difference in our 10-22. So much that this is all I did to our 10-22s trigger and I am happy with it.

For 35 bucks...totally worth it.

Easy and fast, too.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
77 Posts
Many years ago, (25?) Shooting Times had an article on tuning the 10-22. I was, and still am a VERY amateur gunsmith. I followed the directions and my gun turned out beautifully. I wish that I'd kept that article.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts