Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new 10/22 out to season the barrel.

my mom wanted to learn to shoot so I got her and a friend that wanted to learn how to shoot and figured I would give some lessons and let them help me break it in.

I was told I needed to fire a single round and run a bore snake filled with hoppes 9 10 times then 10 rounds and bore snake 20 times then 20 rounds and bore snake 5 times.

I dunno how much truth there is to barrel seasoning and accuracy but that's what i did. I figure it couldn't hurt it.

besides it seemed prudent to start the new shooters at a slow pace.

my mom and my friend are both scared of firearms. I have been talking to my mom about how she doesn't have to be scared of them and even if she doesn't like them she shouldn't be afraid of them. she saw the need to experience a rifle range and try them out in a controlled setting.

mom had trouble working the rifle and keeping it shouldered so I set her up with some sad bags at the shooting bench.

at first I just had her firing down range to get the feel of it and then set her up with a target 25 yards away. she was finding paper pretty well and found herself having fun.

she was a bit put off by the AR guys that were there because they were a bit louder than the .22. someone set off some tannerite and she was spooked by that but she was ok and kept shooting.

my friend didn't want to shoot and I had to stand in front of her and my mom trying to convince them they came out to the range to shoot and would have fun. after mom started having fun my friend tried shooting. I explained how to sight it in and set her up with some sandbags and she was finding paper right away.

the range officer called cold range and went down and hung a gong then painted it bright white. he was shooting it with a handgun at 100 yards.

when he was finished my friend started shooting the 100 yard gong like she had been shooting for a while. consistently pinging it. I was impressed and proud of her.

I did more loading mags than actually shooting but I think it was worth it to take mom and my friend from being scared to pick it up to having fun with it.

they both showed great finger discipline and understood about loading and unloading clearing the weapon and keeping it down range.

I would bore snake the rifle and hand it over. then hand the magazine I loaded over. they would take their shots and hand the magazine to me and then the rifle. I did it like that on purpose to get them used to working the rifle. I figure its not doing anything for them if I do it all and all they need to do is pop off the safety.

anyway, its the first time I taught anyone firearms safety and how to shoot. I just showed them some basics and even though I don't expect mom to go all in about firearms I think she had enough fun she will want to go again and maybe not be scared of them.

my friend on the other hand... I am going to try to take her shooting as much as I can. once she was done being timid she showed talent and a desire to do it. I think I should encourage her.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thats's for chromed lined barrels. ARs and such.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ya know ya maybe right. Heck I can't really remember for sure, but you maybe right. Let's see what others, smarter than me say.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
My wife was always super afraid of guns. I bought her a pink Sig Mosquito (psychological warefare, she LOVES all things pink and girly) and convinced her that she needed to learn how to use it since we have so many in the house. I asked her if she though it would be smart to live on a ship and not know how to swim...even if she never planned on falling off. She agreed with my logic. Two range trips later I couldn't load my butler creek mags fast enough as she threw rounds down range as quick as my 10/22 could spit them out; all with a smile frozen across her wide-eyed face. The best way to get a person from being unfamiliar or afraid of guns to addicted is the mighty .22! And there is no better platform in a rifle than a Ruger 10/22 IMO.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife was always super afraid of guns. I bought her a pink Sig Mosquito (psychological warefare, she LOVES all things pink and girly) and convinced her that she needed to learn how to use it since we have so many in the house. I asked her if she though it would be smart to live on a ship and not know how to swim...even if she never planned on falling off. She agreed with my logic. Two range trips later I couldn't load my butler creek mags fast enough as she threw rounds down range as quick as my 10/22 could spit them out; all with a smile frozen across her wide-eyed face. The best way to get a person from being unfamiliar or afraid of guns to addicted is the mighty .22! And there is no better platform in a rifle than a Ruger 10/22 IMO.

the fact they enjoyed themselves and working to getting over fear is WIN!

even if someone never likes them they shouldn't be afraid.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
the fact they enjoyed themselves and working to getting over fear is WIN!

even if someone never likes them they shouldn't be afraid.

True. Guns are machines much like cars and vaccuum cleaners. My car has never driven away on its own and I've never come home to find that my Hoover has cleaned the house while I was away. In short, simple machines don't operate without user input. Fear is easily replaced with knowledge and knowledge comes with a willingness to try.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've fairly recently become unattached, and been talking to a new girl. She was quite upset when I mentioned taking a chainsaw to something, so I have a feeling she's not going to be, shall we say, a big firearm person. She was ok once I'd explained that you have to understand the tool, respect its power, and not take chances, and that I have all kinds of other power tools and haven't maimed myself, so she may well be reachable.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good Deal. Glad everyone had fun. It's wise to start them out with a .22 instead of handing them a .45, like some people do, and laugh at them when they drop it.

- Spike

you tube is filled with videos of girls with huge firearms that knock them down or come back and hit them in the face.

its kind of jerky to do that to someone. being hit in the face by a desert eagle recoiling could very well put someone off firearms forever.

I need a .22 handgun.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
you tube is filled with videos of girls with huge firearms that knock them down or come back and hit them in the face.

its kind of jerky to do that to someone. being hit in the face by a desert eagle recoiling could very well put someone off firearms forever.

I need a .22 handgun.
I've had great luck with beginners and a Ruger Single Six. They are inexpensive, accurate, cheap to shoot, and new shooters get a kick out of shooting a single action revolver.

- Spike

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
First, you don't need to "season" a barrel. You don't need to "break in" a barrel. You really don't even need to clean the bore of 22. 22 LR bullets are lubricated and will leave some of it in the barrel, which is a good thing. Just clean the grit, grim and crud out of the action, and wipe down the outside to keep from rusting.

Second, I highly recommend taking your mother and her friend to an Appleseed shoot. It is cheap for women and they will get two days of top notch rifle shooting instruction. Plus they will have a ball. There is a multiple shoots in every state throughout the year.

Go to Project Appleseed Home to read about it and click on the map on the right to see what's happening in your state.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know that mom would be into an appleseed event.

she got freaked out over having other people at the range shooting their AR's. I think she just wanted to kind of lose the fear and not take up a hobby though I will invite her back to the range and see what happens.

my friend might be hip to it. I'll have to watch for a local event.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I don't know that mom would be into an appleseed event.

she got freaked out over having other people at the range shooting their AR's. I think she just wanted to kind of lose the fear and not take up a hobby though I will invite her back to the range and see what happens.

my friend might be hip to it. I'll have to watch for a local event.
It was just a thought. Many people just shoot 22s at Appleseed and most separate the centerfire guns from the rimfires. There are usually other women there including female instructors to make her feel comfortable. They also have all women shoots called Ladyseeds. The instructors are also used to working with people who have never shot or who are uncomfortable with guns.

BTW, I think it is cool getting your mom involved.

·
Registered
725 Posts
All the Appleseeds I've seen around here are .22 rimfire only, so it's not like you're going to have guys there with ARs or .45-90s or something.

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not sure it was the AR's exactly, I'm thinking it was her anxiety about firearms in general combined with proximity of the other people there and noise. brass flying and bullets whizzing through the air. someone set off a tannerite that shook the whole place and it did not help the situation.

I really didn't expect it to be that busy. I think a few more trips might make her feel more at ease. I need to kind of figure out if she wants to keep going or if she is satisfied going once.

I am happy the 10/22 ran so well. she had fun so it might be easier to get mom back out shooting again. it would be better if I could get there with fewer people and more quiet.

baby steps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts