Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try not to be very verbose, so here goes.

A customer of mine went to Wal-Mart to purchase a stainless 10/22 with wood stock. He looked at the display model, and everything was fine. He bought one. He quickly looked it over while at the store, he thought it looked fine.

After getting home, he read on one of these internet forums something about Ruger painting or coating their barrels to look stainless. He took another look and compared his barrel to that of a friends .308. The 10/22 barrel looks like it is in fact coated with something. It doesn't appear to be very smooth.

He went back to Wal-Mart and took a second look at the display model, and the barrel on it looked better. It didn't appear to have been painted/coated. He asked the folks at Wal-Mart about an exchange, and they at first tried to tell him that it was against Federal Law. Knowing that was a lie, he spoke with the manager who told him it was against Wal-Mart policy to refund or exchange on guns and/or ammo.

Question; being that Wal-Mart and Ruger advertise this 10/22 to be "stainless", it should be stainless, and not just a stainless colored coating, correct?

Question; Do they normally put some type of coating over the stainless barrels?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have never seen a coated barrel? The receiver and trigger group are coated or rather anodized pot metal.. Pic's would make this easier. I wouldn't worry about it to much shoot the snot out of it and enjoy what it is for.

·
Registered
254 Posts
They are painting the barrel and receiver with this cheap crinkle type paint. This paint comes off really easy so tell your buddy to buy a cleaner that is synthetic safe or else it will eat off the paint. It sucks that they are painting the barrel and receiver to look SS, from what I have heard it is more of a gray. Boy am I glad I got given an older model 10/22.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I have a ruger stainless 10/22 ,the barrel band / upper reciever / lower reciever and trigger group are painted a dull silver-gray but the barrel is stainless and have never seen one that was painted ? I would call ruger and ask about that.The 10/22 number is 1-603-865-2442.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts