Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, here's my problem...

I bought a new 10/22 Takedown a few months back and haven't really shot it a whole bunch. First time I took it out, I had multiple stove pipes. Pretty much every shot, I'd have to pull the bolt back, drop the magazine, clear the round, and then start over.

I didn't tear it down at first like I normally do, but I figured it was something with the extractor. Sure enough, when I tore it down, the hook on the extractor was completely sheered off.

I went on to Amazon and bought a few new parts.

After replacing everything, including the extractor, I took it out for a little bit of plinking. It ran great, no stove pipes, shot wonderful.

Now yesterday, I decided to take some pop shots in my yard. I shot 4 rounds, and got a stove pipe. Cleared, racked, boom....another stove pipe. I looked and sure enough, the extractor claw is broken clean off again on the replacement.

Then I went to break it down, and I couldn't get the barrel off. When I would press on the takedown lever, it would turn maybe 1/8"-1/4" and stop. I tried pretty hard trying to untwist everything and couldn't get it. My brother stopped over, he held one end and spun while I did the same on the other. It came free, but damn it took a lot of effort. I know there is the adjustment for tightness, but I spun that to be as loose as it can get. It shouldn't be that difficult.

So...my question. Have any of you 10/22 owners had issues with broken extractors? Also, has anyone with the takedown model ever have any problems with the barrel and receiver not wanting to separate?

Should I give Ruger a call now, or throw another extractor on and see what happens first?

I'll post up pictures of the broken one once I get around to getting it apart in a little.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Call ruger.

Reactions: moondoggie151

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Sorry to hear this!!
Agreed with above about getting Ruger to do something about it.
I will be following if you post - up fixes // remedies made.
This & another Ruger model are on the list for summer.
Best of luck

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to give them a call. Just wanted to see if anyone heard of these problems before.

I'll keep things updated as I go. Looks like I'll keep shooting my trusty old Glenfield Model 25 until this gets resolved.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Ask @NathanXD about Ruger CS... He might help you get it fixed faster
Brother Mike, I have indeed dealt with ruger more than I want to!!

OP, it needs to go to NH. They are going to pay shipping both ways, and should send you a prepaid label. Don't take no for an answer. No ifs ands or asses. I would put it back to stock configuration before I sent It though. Please post back on Monday when you ave called or whenever you do.

I have the plain wood 10-22. Mine shipped with no extractor. Yes I'm serious.

When you do send it off, be sure to write a very descriptive note, actually just type it. Put on it in great detail what is wrong with it and what you want fixed. Don't leave anything out (within reason), doesn't hurt to ask, and if it impedes function, than they should fix it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problem. I've had the 50th anniversary edition 10/22 TD for about 6 months with no problems. It's a shame that these companies don't have better quality control.

·
Registered
347 Posts
With the takedown model ( and regular model when changing barrels ), it is easy to not get the groove for the extractor indexed correctly. This is definitely something ruger should take care of. As already mentioned be sure to take it back to stock.
On the takedown make sure the bolt is open before taking the barrel off or putting it back on.
Have modified allot of 10-22s and this is about the only concern I have when reassembling.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Agree with those saying call Ruger. Their service is usually excellent. I have a Takedown also and had one question: Do you remember to have the bolt retracted when you attempt to re attach the gun back together? I believe you can damage the exractor if you attempt to re assemble it and force the barrel into the receiver with the bolt forward.

Hope you get it squared away. My 10/22 Takedown has been 100% reliable since I got it about a year ago.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts