Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys have any opinions on the Butler Creek 22LR 25rd Banana Mag? My son has a Ruger 10/22 and I thought he might like a high cap mag for Christmas.

Any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
975 Posts
Butler Creek 10/22 mags are excellent! Last time I was out shooting I was having some feeding problems with some cheap Eagle brand mags I bought. I busted out my Butler Creek mags that are about 10 years old and it shot like a champ the rest of the day.

-Derek

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
They're of hit and miss quality.

The best hi-cap 10-22 mag has got to be the Tactical Innovations magazines. They run about 10 bucks more....but they're oh-so worth it. Besides, you can take them apart for cleaning and buy parts if they crap out. With the BCs...forget it.

I had very hit and miss experiences with the Butler Creek hot lips mags. They work great for a short while, but wear out really fast. I bought two Tactical Inc. mags and have not had a lick of trouble.

We shoot the 10-22 quite a bit. My daughter usually puts a brick through the thing every other weekend! So far...8 months of heavy shooting has not phased the Tactical Innovations mags.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Get the ones with the steel feed lips if you can. The plastic ones are okay and hold up pretty well but the steel lips model is near industructible and will outlast the others.

·
Registered
516 Posts
They're of hit and miss quality.

The best hi-cap 10-22 mag has got to be the Tactical Innovations magazines. They run about 10 bucks more....but they're oh-so worth it. Besides, you can take them apart for cleaning and buy parts if they crap out. With the BCs...forget it.

I had very hit and miss experiences with the Butler Creek hot lips mags. They work great for a short while, but wear out really fast. I bought two Tactical Inc. mags and have not had a lick of trouble.

We shoot the 10-22 quite a bit. My daughter usually puts a brick through the thing every other weekend! So far...8 months of heavy shooting has not phased the Tactical Innovations mags.

- brickboy240
I have had the same experience. TI has both nylon & aluminum mags. Both function perfectly.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I agree with brickboy240. Owning both butler creek and tactical innovations, the bc's really don't compare. The tactical innovations come in composite or aluminum, both fully adjustable so they work well in all my 10/22's and my 77/22.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
All 3 of my Butler creek mags split down the seam in the back rendering them junk. I'd pass and get some of the more reliable offerings available today.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've had a couple of the plastic lipped Butler Creek's since before the AWB (since '91 or '92) and they still are awesome. I would prefer the steel lip version, but the plastic has held up just fine. I do, however, recommend against Ramline 50 rounders--they do nothing but jam.

·
Premium Member
127,778 Posts
+1 for the Butler Creek steel-lipped mags.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I’ll give the BC’s a try. It sounds like they are good, but maybe not the very best. Army Navy Surplus has a few for $16.99 which I think is a good deal especially considering my tight Christmas budget this year and the comments from you fine folks.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
tactical innovations TI-25 mags are by FAR the best 10/22 mag made.

my ti-25 mag has been more reliable then the factory ruger mag

i tried the buttler creek steel lips mags and had a few jams with it. now all i shoot is tacticall innovations. i have the composite ones that have the steel feed lips and adjustment screws so you can custom fit the mag to gun so there is zero movement

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
I had an eagle 30rd i paid like $75 for (during ban) it. After about 3k rounds it broke all around the feed lips. the Butler Creek unit I have isn't much better. I think I have some 50rd unit now.

·
Registered
800 Posts
+5 on the steel lips from bc. They're are great mags. The tacticals are nice but very pricey.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts