Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now had my XD-9 for a month. During that time I have put over 2100 rounds through it. It's digested Winchester Ranger T's, Federal Hydrashok and WWB JHPs. These were 124 gr +P, 147 gr and 115 gr respectively. All fed without a hitch. :D

For the practice range, I use WWB 115gr FMJ the most often but have also shot about 300 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 115 gr, 100 Remington UMC and 100 Magtech. Only one FTE in the bunch and that was about round 650. It was a WWB 115 gr FMJ and I'm pretty sure it was a bad cartridge case. Other than that one round, the XD hasn't missed a beat. :)

This is my first pistol and I have noticed a distinct improvement in my accuracy and consistency after 30 days. My CCW training helped a great deal because I was able to spend 6 hours at the range with a ex-Marine instructor. He currently trains the local SWAT and spent a great deal of time on tactical shooting techniques besides just basic marksmanship and of course safety.

I am certainly very happy with my XD and thank the members of this forum for steering me to it. It's a great way to start a new hobby.

Next week I'll be shooting in my first USPSA club match and I am really looking forward to it. I have no doubt my XD will perform flawlessly. :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i as well have grown my new XD into an obsessive hobby
hopefully not too unhealthy!
good luck and good shooting bro :D

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Awww...I feel so slackerly. I've had mine for over 2 months and still only have 150 through it :( Of course, our range was in a hideous state of disrepair to the point that it was getting dangerous to shoot (miss backstop, ricochet going over the backstop). This last weekend we got a Bobcat though and now I've got a 12' mountain of dirt to shoot into! I know what I'll be doing this weekend! :twisted:

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN, 10,000 rounds! ! When do you have time to work or is that your job, being paid to shoot guns? Even tho I'm retired, I wouldn't mind coming out of it if I'm going to get paid to shoot.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
XD BACKUP GUN said:
Nothing unhealthy about putting lots of lead downrange with your XD........my XD 9MM SC I bought in June has 10,000 rounds through it!
:shock: :roll: 8)

That is crazy or BS, one of the two

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
NExd said:
XD BACKUP GUN said:
Nothing unhealthy about putting lots of lead downrange with your XD........my XD 9MM SC I bought in June has 10,000 rounds through it!
:shock: :roll: 8)

That is crazy or BS, one of the two
Actualy, no, I believe him. I got through 20K rounds of just 9mm per year, easy. I shoot every week and I shoot a lot. Nothing like staying in practice. If you shoot less then 200 round/week you are not in practice. If you do not shoot often and in large enough volumes your training will fail you at a critical moment, whether it be competition or life and death. Train like you fight, fight like you train.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I am a recreational shooter and can defend myself (but, hope never to have to). I try to shoot 100 to 150 rounds of pistol ammo hopefully every month. About the same for rifles (SKS, AR, 9mm carbine). 20 to 40 rounds of 7.62x54r, 8mm, 30.06, 303....(surplus rifle that I feel like shooting). Several hundred rounds of .22s in mostly rifles and sometimes pistols. I shoot for quality and not quantity. Just as happy to fire 50 rounds and be pleased with the results as it is too shoot 150.

Always fun to rapid fire a full 30 round mag out of a AK or AR though :mrgreen: it's good mental therapy :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
If it works for you. I shoot for quality too, but think quantity is also required. Most of my shooting is recreational, some is competition. I wonder how much Leatham goes through every year, bet it is more them both of us combined. :)

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I saw Rob Leatham at Wal-Fart the other day. Had a whole cart of Winchester White Box.........and then I woke up. :shock:

I wish I could shoot as much ammo as I wanted too, but thats another story :roll: With everything, you need to take it in moderation. I like fishing, but I can't see making it my career like you see some people do. Guns, Golf, Cars, Motorcycles.....whatever. Find a good hobby and be good at it. 8) Just don't go off the deep end. :shock:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts