Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will it damage or reduce the useful lifespan of a magazine if it is loaded one round less than maximum? Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
No it wont hurt it. Springs wear out from the repetitive movement.

I assume this is for long term storage?

Else for carrying I would recommend FULL Capacity + One in the chamber.
You will never know When you're going to need it until it is to late.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Will it damage or reduce the useful lifespan of a magazine if it is loaded one round less than maximum? Thanks.
Nope its fine.

Many people take 2 mags load em up insert rack with a mag do a tac reload (put full mag in gun) and carry the minus one as a back up. Much easier to seat under stress with the bolt/slide forward. I don't do it but many do and for good reason.

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I carry two mags fully loaded +1. Most of the time my carry gun comes off my belt and goes on my night stand. Very rarely do my carry guns get unloaded unless I am cleaning them. A simple press check (yes both have LCIs but I want to know for sure...) and then into my holster.

When I do unload to reload I insert a full mag, rack the slide, ejects the mag, top it off, and reinsert it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good idea to rotate mags a few times a year though. I have 5 mags for each gun with 2 mags loaded. I rotate them 3 or 4 times a year. This also allows me to inspect my SD rounds.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts

Nope.
And it will help with getting the magazine seated fully during a quick change out.

Nothing worse than pulling the trigger and the magazine falls out cause it wasn't seated fully.

·
Premium Member
127,996 Posts
I concur with the excellent comments above.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Nope.
And it will help with getting the magazine seated fully during a quick change out.

Nothing worse than pulling the trigger and the magazine falls out cause it wasn't seated fully.
I have literally never had that problem...dozens of IDPA matches and several training courses, not once, ever...

If you train properly, consistency is a key element--changing something small can make all the difference in the world, but that difference can go either way...

If you are having trouble seating a full mag under stress, give it a try! If you are simply believing internet mythology about magazine springs then I would say more research is in order--reducing your weapons' capacity because of such foolishness is not advisable...

Physics tells us that the magazine spring, when compressed or uncompressed--during loading and unloading--is when the force is applied and removed from the spring, which causes friction and wears out the spring tension...

I replace magazine springs every 3 years...its a routine maintenance thing since I shoot a lot...I leave all my magazines loaded 95% of the time and have yet to prematurely wear out a spring...on any of my 11 magazines for my XD or the 8 for my HKs I previously owned...

·
Registered
8,278 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts

Nope...

Not as much something you need to do with a handgun, but with an AR, using USGI mags, downloading to 29 or 28 is a pretty good idea if/when you ever have to load on a closed bolt.

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Yes I did.
then you saw the line mentioning if it is a consistent problem, try reducing the capacity...and also the mentioning if it works stay consistent and train accordingly...

I was simply relaying my experience as a "both sides of the coin" scenario--nobody said it wasn't possible and I certainly didn't say anything to that effect--I simply relayed its never happened to me--doesn't mean it can't just that it hasn't

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
then you saw the line mentioning if it is a consistent problem, try reducing the capacity...and also the mentioning if it works stay consistent and train accordingly...

I was simply relaying my experience as a "both sides of the coin" scenario--nobody said it wasn't possible and I certainly didn't say anything to that effect--I simply relayed its never happened to me--doesn't mean it can't just that it hasn't

Damn dude, calm down.
When did I say any of that?

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Damn dude, calm down.
When did I say any of that?
sorry...typically a 'call out' precedes a half-page of insults and personal attacks...mainly trying to avoid that but also wanted to make sure my point wasn't muddled up...I am still getting used to things here compared to elsewhere I suppose

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
No harm.
Sorry if I came across wrong.
naw...I am not a morning person and the arsehats at HKPro have made me paranoid...I have coffee in me now, its all good :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts