Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know what brands of 12 gauge buckshot you guys are using? I have been using the S&B 12 pellet stuff because it is cheap, but I have recently read that the 12 pellet is not good as a defense round. So....... here I am re-evaluating my options and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I use what ever I can buy at the local WalMart or Gun shops usually Winchester or Remington. The 2 3/4" 9 pellet load is more than adequate for self defense. The reduced recoil loadings by Winchester, Remington, Federal, Speer, etc are all getting good reviews in the LE community. Find a load that patterns well in your gun and use that. In a Gage it's hard to not have an effective OO buck load.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
I would also consider what choke your shotgun is using. The patterning of a 00 buckshot load with an Improved choke will obiviously be different than from a full choke.

Krackels

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been reading that Federal and Hornady have new loads out with very tight 8 pellet patterns which I am interested in, but I will obviously need to test some of them I guess. As for chokes, I don't know much about them. My primary shotgun is a Mossberg 590 with the 20" barrel and no choke.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have patterned my Mossberg (cylinder bore)with 12 and 9 shot 00 buck and see no reason why it shouldn't be effective.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
With my unchoked 870 or Mossberg, I use Hornday 00 Buck. Very tight patterns in thoses guns. Win or Rem wouldn't even stay on paper at 10 yards. Hornady had a nice tight 3" group.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I use S&B. It's cheap and seems to shoot fine. I got a 25 round box for 6 bucks at the gun show. Not bad.

brad cook

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use the S&B also because it is cheap. But I have noticed at 15 feet the pattern is everwhere. I will continue to use the S&B to keep shooting costs down, but I am looking for something that will hold a tighter pattern for defense use. I am interested in using the Hornady TAP stuff that is out now. Does anyone know where I can order some? I called my local gun store thinking I would grab some tonight while I am there picking up my new sub but they don't carry it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I drove all over hell last night, but I finally found a couple boxes of the Hornady TAP 00. I'm going to pattern it this weekend and see how it works out.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't get me wrong. The OC is beautiful, but I hate it here! My new house in AZ is 6 weeks away from being done and I will finally be out of this hell hole for good!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tell me about it. It takes me almost an hour to drive 15 miles to my office!! I can't stand it here any more.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
949GUNZ said:
Tell me about it. It takes me almost an hour to drive 15 miles to my office!! I can't stand it here any more.

It would take my wife 1 hr and 15 minutes to go from Aliso Viejo to Irvine. She'ed take the toll road, we lived right by it on Aliso Parkway, She worked right by the mall (What'sit name???, Nordstrom's is there)

It about drove her insane.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For a long time I lived in San Clemente. It would take me an hour in the morning and an hour and half at night to drive back and forth to Lake Forest. I have been back in Mission Viejo for a couple years now and it's not as bad, but it still makes me insane. Plus you have to drive min. 2 hours for a decent shooting spot other than being at a range that only allows you to fire 1 shot per second!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts